FORCED AIR OUTDOOR STOVE..i need HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asg13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guys,

I have installed an outdoor forced air stove. Been running it for about a month..I have a 1200 sq ft house..small place..I am getting the heat inside the basement but am loosing it in the duct some how! The stove has a draw fan set on a thermostat whcih i have right beside my existing heat pump thermo..

I burns fine and am getting decent times out of it. the company I am dealing with has been great, however I wanted some of your opinions..I have the cold air return pulling from the center of my house and the hot air supply going in right behind the return ( should I run the heat supply in front of the existing furnace fan?). I was running my existing heat pump/furnace fan on manual which runs the fan constantly. When its 30 degrees outside I wake up to a 58degree house ouch!!!! I know the hot air supply is putting out heat. I have a tee installed in the basment and upon pulling the cap the air is very hot!

I was told I need to get the fan on my existing furnace to be put on power break or something because it is cooling my hot air to much..in other words, the fan should only cut on when the air in the duct reaches 120-180 degrees then force it through the house. When the house reaches the desired temp EX.72* it will cut everything off..

Anyone wanna help me out..I am going nutz here..I do not want to disable my heat pump as I will be in and out of town and the wife will still use it when i cant tend the fire!
I have a 3000$ stove that I am not using..HELPPPPPPPP

Is this one of the Wadena furnaces? I've seen those. Place close to me installs them. Either way, it sounds like your return could be too close to your supply duct?

If thats not the case though and your central furnace fan is running all the time, it could be indeed cooling the air too much.

Aren't those things supposed to heat the air over 200 degrees?

Is this one of the Wadena furnaces? I've seen those. Place close to me installs them. Either way, it sounds like your return could be too close to your supply duct?

If thats not the case though and your central furnace fan is running all the time, it could be indeed cooling the air too much.

Aren't those things supposed to heat the air over 200 degrees?

Its a AIRSTOVE or Hopsco..It can hit temps of 285 where it exits the stove..I have no doubt the stove will heat..I am jsut loosing the air somewhere..

One thing i noticed it my duct work has 2 returns I THINK..one that pulls from teh center of my house and another that has a filter...notice in pick th efilter..look right at the flat duct board..that is where the center return pulls from my house
View attachment 260957

Its a AIRSTOVE or Hopsco..It can hit temps of 285 where it exits the stove..I have no doubt the stove will heat..I am jsut loosing the air somewhere..

One thing i noticed it my duct work has 2 returns I THINK..one that pulls from teh center of my house and another that has a filter...notice in pick th efilter..look right at the flat duct board..that is where the center return pulls from my house
View attachment 260957

View attachment 260958 note in this pic..I know its drawn horribly but u can get the jist!

Are you trying to heat your basement? If you have a return in the basement, then you'll be heating that cold air. The heat vents and the returns need to be as far as possible away from each other.

Are you trying to heat your basement? If you have a return in the basement, then you'll be heating that cold air. The heat vents and the returns need to be as far as possible away from each other.

I am trying to heat the whole house bu utilizing my exisiting duct work!

I think that we need some more pictures. I can't figure out what's going on there, or where the hot air is coming from. :confused:

We should be able to figure something out that will work for you.

looks like a return air in a crawl space?

thre seems to be two returns and I am not sure why. one obviously where u can see the filter and then right beside it underneath the foam board insulation that is connected to the crossbeam. This is actually in the middle of my living rooms..its a 12x12 vent with a blue hog hair filter..this is where i connected the cold air retun for the stove..

the hot air supply is routed right in front of the big filter you which is right behind my EXISTING FURNACE fan which I am leaving on constantly to push the air..I am gusing it is pulling air from there and mixing with the hot air right behind the fan, then pushing the air thru the duct into the registers???

I think that we need some more pictures. I can't figure out what's going on there, or where the hot air is coming from. :confused:

We should be able to figure something out that will work for you.

the hot air is coming from the wood stove outside of the basement. It has a forced air hot supply and a cold air return. Comes throught the wall and straight up to ceiling..
24gauge 8" pipe..from the top, 8" 250* flex duct goes across basement ceiling into crawl space and ties into existing fixed duct

Call the installer back and ask them WTF?
I wouldn't run the furnace fan all the time unless you can dial it down. It sounds to me that the air has no time to heat up, moving through the heat ex changer too fast.
My outside hot air furnace has it's own fan and own ductwork. The fan comes off and on like a normal furnace.

Are you sure there are no breaks in the duct runs where the hot air supply is accidently disconnected?

Unless your heater is super tiny. There is no way 8 inch supply and return is enough cfm to heat. I would think 12 inch min. Wich would be more than twice the cfm. GET A NEW INSTALLER.

Unless your heater is super tiny. There is no way 8 inch supply and return is enough cfm to heat. I would think 12 inch min. Wich would be more than twice the cfm. GET A NEW INSTALLER.

I installed it my self..I tried to contact three people to install it...it has 8" oulets on the stove..its a small stove meant for 1200-1500 sq ft..

I am guessing the hot air is being cooled to much from the continuing use of the furnace fan.

The stove has a 1000cfm fan that pushes the hot air and pulls the return air into the house/existing duct. from their, the existing furnace fan comes into play...this is where I think I am losing heat!

I installed it my self..I tried to contact three people to install it...it has 8" oulets on the stove..its a small stove meant for 1200-1500 sq ft..

I am guessing the hot air is being cooled to much from the continuing use of the furnace fan.

The stove has a 1000cfm fan that pushes the hot air and pulls the return air into the house/existing duct. from their, the existing furnace fan comes into play...this is where I think I am losing heat!

YUP! Try running the small fan only and see how that goes.

OK...How can i wire my existing HVAC fan to only come on when the temperature hits 120 in my duct work. I have a power break on hand but I do not want to eliminate my heat pump if i need to use it..example: out of town and cant burn woodstove..

If i but the power break and set it to 120, then my heat pump is useless..can it be done?

forced air duct

2nd winter with my forced air stove...it also has 8inch duct from stove through crawlspace opening.
my home is a rectangular floor plan ranch. ive ran the 8inch duct to 2 floor registers. one on north west
corner and one on south west corner of house. then bring cold air return from center of east wall. opposite
end of house. that will set up some natural circulation through house. Supplies all heat down to about 5* then my
nat gas furnace supplements below that! The wood stove is kept completely independent of th gas furnace,,,
no common ductwork.

2nd winter with my forced air stove...it also has 8inch duct from stove through crawlspace opening.
my home is a rectangular floor plan ranch. ive ran the 8inch duct to 2 floor registers. one on north west
corner and one on south west corner of house. then bring cold air return from center of east wall. opposite
end of house. that will set up some natural circulation through house. Supplies all heat down to about 5* then my
nat gas furnace supplements below that! The wood stove is kept completely independent of th gas furnace,,,
no common ductwork.

i was told to hook it to my existing duct and let its fan circulate the air..problem is i am mixing cold air constantly and the hot air is not builsing up in my duct hence needed to put the existing fan on a break!

The 1000cfm fan on the stove may not be strong enought for me to just connect it to 2 registers, however it is a thought! I only have 1200 Sq ft..

cool ducts

Im using a 500 cfm blower....heating 1450sq. ft.
Just like the simpler is better idea!. works for me!!!!!!

Im using a 500 cfm blower....heating 1450sq. ft.
Just like the simpler is better idea!. works for me!!!!!!

So u jus ran new flex into new added registers or did u jus utilize some u had? Does it overheat the house? Jus

Back