ford or chevy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I Am looking for a big SUV to pull the 4500 lb stump grinder, with a 6-700 lb tongue weight, and have enough room for saws, tools, chains and food and clothes etc... Gotta go storm chasing.... Rented a 10 cyl. Ford Excursion, which is sweet... So looking for a big SUV like that. I've got my eye on a couple excursions, but don't trust the Ford transmissions... thinking a big Chevy or GMC Suburban might be better... hear they handle better too.... Not sure which way to go...
Any advice from our resident motor heads would be appreciated...

murphy, if you liked the excursion get it in diesel, you wont be dissapointed. I think the talk about the transmissions is outdated hearsay.

I like my '97 suburban. I keep the saws outside on road trips on a rack that slides into the reciever hitch. Can't have the kids sucking on gas fumes. Would probably go with a roof rack for everyday use though. Have the thick husky floor mats throughout for dirty gear. The "half ton" is rated for and tows my 4500lb chuck n duck fine. However, brakes notoriously suck on suburbans and would prefer a "3/4 ton" for long heavy hauls.

Wouldn't pull equipment with an SUV. A misapplication of a vehicle, IMO.

Aside from that, yes, I have a strong dislike for Ford transmissions at this time. Especially being on the second one for a 4,000 mile truck. Dodge's aren't a whole lot better.

Our Suburban is doing well but has gotten a lot of work done on it....but nothing drive train related.

2500 Yukon LX

Get the 3/4 ton Yukon XL/Suburban with a diesel if possible. There is a reason that the Suburban has been the top seller for EVER...

Re: 2500 Yukon LX

Originally posted by WoodTick007
Get the 3/4 ton Yukon XL/Suburban with a diesel if possible. There is a reason that the Suburban has been the top seller for EVER...

Sorry, I was under the impression that the F-150 was the #1 selling truck for what, the last 25 years?

No SUV - been there done that. where you gonna put the rakes and shovels?
Pickup, Pickup,Pickup
get a crew cab if you need the seat room.
Oh yeah, Gm gas engines are out. Don't believe me look at complaintstation.com engines knock badly with no relief from GM. Go diesel, better yet, go Ford diesel.
-Ralph

Aside from that, yes, I have a strong dislike for Ford transmissions at this time. Especially being on the second one for a 4,000 mile truck. Dodge's aren't a whole lot better.

Looks to me like you have morons driving your trucks. I have a 01 Dodge with a Cummins/auto, 107.000 miles, most of the time with a 30' gooseneck in tow (GVW at around 20.000 lbs.) Trans fluid changed and bands adjusted at least every 15K. May go out tommorow but hasn't missed a beat yet. Its all in the servicing and the way you apply power under load. Dodge and Ford autos had a bad rep several years ago behind diesels, that has been fixed by upgrading the transmissions to a heavier unit, GM allison also had its trouble but is now a solid performer.
Van

Thanks for opening your mouth. Engage the brain before telling me that I don't know how to drive. I babied that sucker cuz it's important to me. The transmission was assembled incorrectly and had pieces floating around in the fluid that they found after several pointless trips to the dealer. :rolleyes:

The replacement tranny is doing much better.

At any rate, you'll find bad apples all over the place. From talking to Big 3 engineers and everyday drivers, Dodge takes a backseat in the durability department. Everyone seems to know this.

Brain is engaged, but thanks for asking. You may have gotten a lemon, it happens, or bad workmanship, however I would not judge every truck of any brand as not worthy based on one vehicle. The Dodge being back seat "was" a fact up to the early 90's. That statement is mainly a generalization from years past, it was true then, doesn't mean it is now. Are all Japanese cars cheaply made junk? They used to be, not so anymore. I am sorry if you were offended.
Van

Would also like to appoligize for assuming that the truck was driven by tree crews and not your personal vehicle. And no I do not think you are a moron.
Van

No, not offended. And looking back, I just responded to a generalization with another generalization. Anyways, it was just the latest installment of Ford issues for us.

Our F-700 croaked this summer (manual transmission) and THAT was due to wear-and-tear and abusive drivers.

Our Ford Ranger croaked two years ago (transmission went nuts) and THAT had a lot of abuse before we bought it unfortunately, and I babied it for two years before it died.

Our Ford F-350 croaked having caught fire a couple of times, having multiple transmission replacements....I calculated at one point that we spent $100,000 on that truck in less than 10 years, including purchase price (bought new).

So why we're getting a new F-650? Not my decision.... But I've come to realize that all brands have faults. But that heavy duty trucks are only truly heavy duty if the tires are inflated to over 100 psi. :D

One of them was let go. The other two have been reprimanded, but I think more serious penalties would be good.

Our tree crew has long been the worst drivers. Lots of different people over the years, same problem. :confused: The landscape crews don't seem to be like that at all.

Power, yah, but what about the durability that keeps getting questioned? :D

I know you're not showing the pictures of the transfer case falling out seconds later!!

Ive Now Decided that I will not buy another P/U without a Power Stroke in It!
What a Pulling MoFo. :D

Latest posts

Back