Foresters ace for driving wedges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMike

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking to replace the sledge I use for driving wedges and hatchet for laying out buck marks with an axe I can use for both. Just curious what others use if they do something similar. Hoping to keep size down since most of the trees I fell are on a pretty steep slope and I’m already hiking up/down with a saw on my shoulder. That being said I’m not against using a longer or heavier axe if that’s what is recommended by people with more experience. I know the professional fallers in my area pack around an axe for this reason but are more set up with the right gear, but I am not

I'm very happy with this Stihl felling ax:

IMG_9191.jpg

To be honest, I'm not sure who makes it for Stihl. But it is handy for driving felling wedges and knocking off small branches that are in the way. I put an 18" mark on the handle, that's what I cut my firewood at, so it is easy for me to walk down a log and whack bucking marks. I actually won this in a photo contest at a local Deere dealer, but I think the price was in the $50-60 range. I had been using a Fiskars hatchet for driving wedges before, but I find this head and handle is more persuasive on the head of a wedge, and lets me do better than my eyeballing 18" was doing on marking.

All that said (ok typed), I think you will find plenty of options, swing a few and decide what fits your packing, carrying, using preferences best.

I'm very happy with this Stihl felling ax:

View attachment 1105052

To be honest, I'm not sure who makes it for Stihl. But it is handy for driving felling wedges and knocking off small branches that are in the way. I put an 18" mark on the handle, that's what I cut my firewood at, so it is easy for me to walk down a log and whack bucking marks. I actually won this in a photo contest at a local Deere dealer, but I think the price was in the $50-60 range. I had been using a Fiskars hatchet for driving wedges before, but I find this head and handle is more persuasive on the head of a wedge, and lets me do better than my eyeballing 18" was doing on marking.

All that said (ok typed), I think you will find plenty of options, swing a few and decide what fits your packing, carrying, using preferences best.
Those are made by Ochsenkopf in Germany. Very good tools from what I have heard.

Latest posts

Back