Forestry Equipment Auctions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
Reaction score
Anyone buy from the auctions? Thinking about dusting off the credit line and going after some new toys. Instead of buying from a dealer, or a white wash, I was thinking I would be better off doing any refurb myself.

Cali, whachya think? I know u go to the auctions out there, whats the skinny brah? If ya don't want to let loose info that could disrupt your chi, I get it.

I don't know the story in the states, but here in aus I'd never buy at auction. I went to a few to check the scene. You get no opportunity to talk to the seller, no idea of the background or service history, no chance to run it, no chance to bargain down (only bid up!) no warranty or cooling off period (as you'd get at a dealer), and on average I find the prices are higher than the same gear on the open market which makes zero sense to me. Considering all the downsides and the risk involved, I'd expect the gear to go for at least 40% under the open market value but if anything it's 10~20% above market average. There's usually a buyers premium above the sale price, plus tax, ie the seller gets the full sale price then you pay the auction houses cut and tax as well. I'm considering selling some of my gear at auction considering all the above. I can set a minimum, payment terms are strict, I have zero liability, and no need to answer any questions.

I have bought several pieces of equipment at auctions over the years. Bought a grapple truck that was a good deal at one once, spent $6,000 on new tires and having it painted our color then the thing got used about twice a year so I sold it and came out OK. But for the most part and most of the time auctions are full of junk.

Bought my little GMC 3500 chip truck from an auction last year. Decent purchase.
They let you start and crawl over the equipment to check it over. Even though you are ultimately buying a pig in a poke.
No reserve, so it is possible to score a very good deal. Or a very bad deal.
A buddy just bought a Bobcat Toolcat ($17K + auction fees) at that place a few weeks ago. He went down there beforehand and found some paperwork with the previous owner's contact info....got to contact him and find out the machine history.

. He went down there beforehand and found some paperwork with the previous owner's contact info....got to contact him and find out the machine history.

Of course that is an old auction trick that is old school that I am amazed at how many people don't know about it. Especially with trucks or anything with a cab to leave some "paperwork" in with the "owners" contact information. You find a number on something or another and call to to talk with the former "owner" to get the inside story so you will have that big edge. Of course it is a made up deal and naturally you get filled full of ****. I have actually seen guys planting the damn things days before the auction.

Never heard of that scam before. Live and learn.
My buddy said the "previous owner" mentioned to him that he had received quite a few phone calls! Reckon he did, lol.
He did check beforehand with a couple of different Bobcat dealers what that model was worth re. it's age, condition, and hours. Felt he ended up with a good deal. I dunno. He owns two other Toolcats, so he is familiar with them and wasn't going into this blind in any case.

Never heard of that scam before. Live and learn.
My buddy said the "previous owner" mentioned to him that he had received quite a few phone calls! Reckon he did, lol.
He did check beforehand with a couple of different Bobcat dealers what that model was worth re. it's age, condition, and hours. Felt he ended up with a good deal. I dunno. He owns two other Toolcats, so he is familiar with them and wasn't going into this blind in any case.

It's actually an old trick...at least going back 30 years that I know of. I know a guy that got taken on that same scam TWICE. But that's just one of dozens of tricks in the auction game.

I didn't notice anything odd going on the few times I went, but a buddy told me he has seen literal stand over tactics a couple times, where a guy would have his buddies go intimidate and threaten another bidder into not bidding because he wanted to buy a truck at a lower price. Hard to believe but I guess it happens!

I thought of going the auction route for a few things,but in the end decided against it. Too much of a gamble for this guys hard earned doe.
There's a reason dealers go there,but OTOH ,they can afford a lemon here and there. Worse case for them,they run it back thru the same auction a month later.

I ran an auction for 5 years. Better get it cheap better start it cold and check every single inch of everything. You can do it but better know the particular unit your looking at.

When at an auction, the best deals come from county/government/city. What happens is that cities get money from the government and they are required to spend it or they lose it. They send a bunch of good stuff to auction so they can get new stuff. Their vehicles and equipment are also well maintained.

I bought a dump truck yesterday at auction, 10/10/14. This was from the Department of Transportation. It's a 2001 International 4700, crew cab,, runs like new, 14ft. dump bed, new tires, air brakes, cold A/C. Paid $7,300. They had five similar trucks. I took my mechanic and he inspected all of them, he said "this is the one you want". He even lent me a grand. Nice mechanic, huh?

Now to build a chip box. Any suggestions?Chipper Truck 2.png Chipper Truck.png

Looks like a pretty good deal. I agree with that for the most part, bought a decent 1 ton few years back from a city auction that I used for a few years, was a good truck. Depends on the city too though, see a lot of trucks and eqpt. from D.C. come up that obviously were completely neglected. Not a money issue, just an incompetence issue over there.

When at an auction, the best deals come from county/government/city. What happens is that cities get money from the government and they are required to spend it or they lose it. They send a bunch of good stuff to auction so they can get new stuff. Their vehicles and equipment are also well maintained.

I bought a dump truck yesterday at auction, 10/10/14. This was from the Department of Transportation. It's a 2001 International 4700, crew cab,, runs like new, 14ft. dump bed, new tires, air brakes, cold A/C. Paid $7,300. They had five similar trucks. I took my mechanic and he inspected all of them, he said "this is the one you want". He even lent me a grand. Nice mechanic, huh?

Now to build a chip box. Any suggestions?View attachment 373455 View attachment 373456

Nice score man. Building a chip box is really a question of how thick the steel is on the body. If you can weld to it then you might get away with some square stock and 10 gauge. Then pay someone to paint it and take the fumes. There's always plywood for the meantime. OOOOrrrrrrrrr, you could take that money you saved on the super sweet deal and buy a southco or Iroquois body and have it mounted.

Now to build a chip box. Any suggestions?View attachment 373455 View attachment 373456

Not in an area where they salt highways with the trucks. Salt eats away the beds, frames, wiring, and then you have a big pile of scrap metal to be auctioned off......

Looks like some nice trucks in florida though

Latest posts

Back