Found a Stihl 088

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been looking for a 660 or 880 for a while and have found a 088. It is a very low hour saw with original bar and chain that I have just sharpened for the first time. I was really surprised how much Stihl choked down the saw to pass emissions. I rarely modify any saw mufflers, but this saw had to be fixed. So I removed the limiter caps and just about doubled the opening on the muffler. I noticed right away the saw was running cooler and had more torque. I did not notice any noise increase, but just a more crisp sound. I was cutting an oak log earlier and dulled the chain a little, but it was still doing a fair job.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wFiKVYWgRGQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wFiKVYWgRGQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

wow sweet saw. That saw is super clean. did you buy it used at a shop or from a local looks like it was never used.

since it has a dull chain,,its time to get rid of it,,,i will be more then happy to take it off your hands,,,,:cheers::cheers::)

Not that much bigger. I made the radius of the hole touch the three sides of the deflector. I did not widen it out from the deflector either. I also chamfered it in a way to help flow the gases to the front of the saw instead to the side into the chain brake handle. The chain just needs a little filing.

Nice 088, sounds a little rich. Have you put a tach on it yet?
I sure like my oh-eighty-eight, I'll never get rid of it.

Nice saw. It does sound a little rich, a bit like like the way I run my 880 milling saw.

There's a trade off between directing the exhaust forward where it bounces off the tree into the operators face and deflecting it out the side but then it melts the brake handle. This is what I ended up doing for my milling saw.

BTW You may want to get some extra good muffs with the savings :) - I find I have to use both quality muffs and ear plugs when I mill with mine.

Last edited:
Nice saw. It does sound a little rich, a bit like like the way I run my 880 milling saw.

There's a trade off between directing the exhaust forward where it bounces off the tree into the operators face and deflecting it out the side but then it melts the brake handle. This is what I ended up doing for my milling saw.

BTW You may want to get some extra good muffs with the savings :) - I find I have to use both quality muffs and ear plugs when I mill with mine.

Yep, Dispite my username I have a melted brake handle... that was my worst engineering day!

I set the saw up by looking at plug color. It is a little lighter than golden brown now. What rpms is the saw suppose to be set at?

By the way, thanks for the info BobL. I have another set of muffs that I also wear that do work better than the stihl muffs, but by brother who was filming was wearing them.

By the way, thanks for the info BobL.
No worries.

I have another set of muffs that I also wear that do work better than the stihl muffs, but by brother who was filming was wearing them.

That's just typical of brothers!

Get yourself hold of a tacho - plug colour isn't going to really do it with muffler mods and you'd be really sad if you wrecked the saw.

Have you learned about progressive raker yet? A well tuned 880 can mince wood with sharp cutters and progressively set rakers - check the FOP sticky above for details.

That is a really nice looking 088, certainly looks little used, most of them I see have been owned and used by loggers so they usually look a little rough.
I just came across one this weekend, not as nice as yours but not badly beaten up either. Would one be worth $400. plus $54. for shipping? Bar and chain are optional, shipping would be $12. less.
Pioneerguy600

sounds cheep, i gave 650 has broken brake handle repaired,clutch cover {noched with chain}, chip out of plastic, mold, but piston looks new and runs great thanks again ms460 .

Latest posts

Back