Found, is it mine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stance #1, Salvage Law

Stance #2 Make an honest effort to find the individual andreturn the stuff, leave the cops out of it if noone claims it they wind up takeing it home, selling it, or raising money for more of their ineptness. Leave that band of small minds alone except for the need for documentation after you put a couple of slugs in the !$# of the loser Meth head who breaks into your brushtruck and steals your crews personal equipment. Now that is stealing fellas. Remember we are proffesionals lets not let the deep and thick sea of morals cloud our decision making.

Thanks, tom. I've lost many hours of sleep over this:eek:

I'll sleep better tonight.

Did I mention how nice it flies? I use some Zing-it as line for it. Karina and I went for a walk on the beach last sunday and I let out the whole spool then tied the end to my belt and we just walked!

I should go to sleep soon.

love
nick, Kite Extractor

I guess it all boils down to moral #1...

Is it yours? No? then leave it the ???? alone. Problem solved.

Yes? Go get it. If everyone else was following moral #1, it'll be where you left/lost it.

Erik, you have a good point with your moral no. 1.

But... if you're an honest soul, and trying to get it to try to return it to it's owner, then ya gotta stop and ???? with it... ya know? Not everyone knows when they loose something, so they don't know to retrieve it.

Iffen it ain't yours, try yur best to get it back to it's owner. If that fails, its YOURS.

Salvage law. I like that phrasing. :)

Case 1 not really sure what I would do there.

Case 2, been there done that. I found a Husky on the side of the road about a year ago. And the case was 50 feet down the road. I swear it looked just like it just fell off of a truck. Not a fresh cut tree in sight. And also not a worker in sight either. Well i scooped up the case and saw and proceeded down the road a bit. Well it took about a half an hour one pi$$ed dude pulls up and starts going off on me for picking up his saw. Come to find out he was on a customers property dumping a load of something WAY out back (his words). Well i explained that leaving a saw 2 feet off of the road and the case left in a matter that it appeared to have fallen off of his truck wasnt prob the best idea. Anyways I gladly gave the saw back since i hadnt had the time to take it to the police dept. Anyways that guy was lucky it was me that picked up his saw and not somebody else picked it up....Rob

F 'em! If you're that unorganized.......well, you just lost a ladder and a saw. Me, my saws are like my family........:eek:

Originally posted by netree
See Rob? If you'd have followed moral #1, you'd have been ok!

:D

What moral? I didnt even have a chance to turn it in. I was on a job and had to finish it first. Givin the time and chance it was going to the police station...Rob

i had a 026 near new stolen out of my shed i got it replaced on insurance i was using a tower and went to a take away shop for lunch i put the saw in the sign rack by the time i walked in ordered and opened a can of coke it was gone,i went looking in pawn shops and found an older 26 for 150 they hadother trashy saws there for 300-400 never got it back but its on the stihl register as a stolen saw.i know of a guy who borrowed a 66 off a freind he thought after using it he would be good and get it sharpened serviced at a stihl shop turns out it was hot,i wonder how they get along now i hate saw thiefs

which brings me to moral #2...

Is it YOURS?

Yes?

Is someone screwing with it?

Yes?

Shoot the bugger. Make the world a better place.

(Remember... there are still plenty of countries where shooting a thief is still quite acceptable!:D )

Erik,

Would you let me know which countries you can... "Shoot the bugger. Make the world a better place." ?

So...a chainsaw is equal to a life? That makes any of us worth, at most, about say $1,200 or so??? Don't get sidetracked here to try and justify killing because someone stole__________ [fill in the blank], you've just set the value of the life, I would like to know where life is that cheap.

Let me get this straight Eric,

You lose it and i find it and pick it up that makes me a thief now? I'm wondering have you ever picked up loose change up from the ground? My bet you have picked some up so in your words thats makes you a thief then. Im not going to go on with this as far as im concered this is a dead subject...Rob

Originally posted by Robh
Let me get this straight Eric,

You lose it and i find it and pick it up that makes me a thief now?

Yes.

Losing something is an accident. Taking something that isn't yours is stealing... whether you "found" it or not.

If everyone left it where it was, it'd be there when you went to look for it, wouldn't it?

I'm wondering have you ever picked up loose change up from the ground?

Nope... I'm quite capable of earning my OWN money. I don't need to pick up other peoples' pocket droppings.

Besides, didn't anyone ever tell you that found money is bad luck?

Originally posted by dayman
Erik,

Would you let me know which countries you can... "Shoot the bugger. Make the world a better place." ?

Dang, lost my board cookies and saw yer post. I've had you on ignore for quite awhile. Oh well.

To answer your question;

Irag
Libya
Columbia
(to name a few)

and USA... YES! THE USA! (in certain instances- you Texans will know exactly what I mean)

As I see it, the THIEF is making the price of a saw (or whatever) worth their life. After all, they're the ones choosing to take what doesn't belong to them.

Back