Four different wood ID for you guys!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunNGun17

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of some wood I just pick up. I'm new to wood identification so just looking for some help. Thanks guys.

Four different pieces of wood, not sure what they are but they are all heavy, my back is tired!

These two pics are from the same tree
302b9t5.jpg

wcn7e1.jpg

2ed41fk.jpg

2hs6t8g.jpg

2cfurk3.jpg

2b4hmv.jpg

not sure but the first one look like a maple....4/5 are honey locust... 6 is black walnut...

5, the bark looks very much like honey locust, but 4, the red inner wood isn't anything like my honey locust score looked like. My hl had uniform color throughout. Does it have any of the tell tale 3" long thorns?

Pic 3 looks like a red maple that had been tapped for maple sugaring. All of the dark spots are old tap holes or stains from them.

Thanks guys, my thoughts were this, and it was from quick simple research on google.

I wasn't sure what any of them were except for the last pic, to me it looked like all the hard maple pics I saw.

5, the bark looks very much like honey locust, but 4, the red inner wood isn't anything like my honey locust score looked like. My hl had uniform color throughout. Does it have any of the tell tale 3" long thorns?
4 and 5 are the same piece and i would bet money they are honey locust...id go so far to bet they are the thornless variety. I just cut one up this summer.... #6 should be easy to tell if its walnut or not, but judging from the bark and heart wood I think it is, cut one a few of those this spring...smell it. that should tell you if it is or not

4/5 as a kid we had a 'honey locust' tree that I spent many of my summers days climbing in it. In the fall it never did have any of the usual seed pods. But in late Spring it sure had some good Mulberries,

4/5 is Mulberry.

They look fresh, don't they have any leaves? That would be the best sure fire way to id them.

4/5 as a kid we had a 'honey locust' tree that I spent many of my summers days climbing in it. In the fall it never did have any of the usual seed pods. But in late Spring it sure had some good Mulberries,

4/5 is Mulberry.

well this summer i cut down a thornless honey locust (with bean pods) I have all the wood stacked in my backyard right now.

4/5 is honey locust

...and I still think 6 is young black walnut.... use your sniffer, if its walnut it will smell just like a walnut.

I am sure it is gum, walnut is chocolate brown all the way through.

If that log is 10"+ I would say you are prolly right... but ive cut walnut around the 6-8" mark that showed hardly any heart wood. I think the amount of heart wood really depends on growing conditions

Positive it is gum:hmm3grin2orange:

and that other guy is positive that the honey locust is bulberry lol... truth is I dont have a "Im positive" feeling about 6 but 4/5 is honey locust... Im positive :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back