Four stroke chainsaw at Lowes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that isn’t a bad idea on a news engine. But it wouldn’t be the best for a fuel injected engine with O2 sensors. I’m sure it could work, but I don’t think the computer would like the numbers it would be seeing. Might even Jack up the sensors.
I wonder if a small amount could be used in a mower without issue
Well, the thinking was that a gas tank has more than 10 gallons and at most your "old gas" would be a half gallon of 40:1. So the end mix would be so diluted that it wouldn't matter.

Well, the thinking was that a gas tank has more than 10 gallons and at most your "old gas" would be a half gallon of 40:1. So the end mix would be so diluted that it wouldn't matter.
I see what your saying. That works up to be around 400:1 and probably negligible. Heck, at that ratio it may even have a slight upper cylinder lubricant affect.
I’ve mixed race gas in the past using toluene and a very little bit of two stroke oil. I may try your idea if I ever have to get rid of some old premix.
The good thing is I don’t ever have old gas. It gets used up with the wood cutting, and damn yard work, that I do.

Still can't get one in California or shipped to California from Lowes or tractor supply but I can order one from AliExpress straight from china right to my door.:ices_rofl:

If you want one, I'd be happy to buy one and ship it to you, just for the cost of the saw + freight.

It's definitely a novelty though, my battery electric saw cuts at least as well.

As long as the battery lasts, it'll cut anywhere. One year, that battery saw cut all the wood I burned. Miles from a paved road, much less my house. I had the 034S in the truck just in case, but I have four batteries for the saw, and that was just right to cut enough rounds to fill my truck. For a homeowner saw, I was really surprised with how much work it was able to get done.

Gas saws in the non-wood-burning homeowner niche are dead. For the use the average homeowner will put on a saw, a battery saw is better in just about every way. For the person who heats with wood, there are serious saws available for very little more $$$. New in box CS590's come up for ~$250 fairly frequently, that's only $70 more than this four stroke toy.

As long as the battery lasts, it'll cut anywhere. One year, that battery saw cut all the wood I burned. Miles from a paved road, much less my house. I had the 034S in the truck just in case, but I have four batteries for the saw, and that was just right to cut enough rounds to fill my truck. For a homeowner saw, I was really surprised with how much work it was able to get done.

Gas saws in the non-wood-burning homeowner niche are dead. For the use the average homeowner will put on a saw, a battery saw is better in just about every way. For the person who heats with wood, there are serious saws available for very little more $$$. New in box CS590's come up for ~$250 fairly frequently, that's only $70 more than this four stroke toy.
I missed the "battery" part of your description. Oops

A 4 stroke saw sounds fun to me, have not seen one for sale but I have a little Mantis tiller that I inherited with a tiny Honda 4 stroke. That little 4 stroke runs amazing and has torque for days.
As far as fuel, I would not run premix in a 4-stroke, at least not on a regular basis. At some point in the past I was told it would burn up / carbon up the exhaust valves. Based on the condition of valves of engines I've taken apart that were burning a lot of oil due to bad rings etc it seems like it could happen.
Of course I have never tried running premix in a little 4 stroke...

Adding oil causes leaner running

I don't buy the more oil = less fuel argument anymore. Back in the days of castor oils, where you'd have schmoo running out the muffler, no the oil isn't burning, just making a mess. Modern oils, the oil burns and contributes to the BTU content of the mix, and doesn't fill your muffler with schmoo. Like any saw, tune for what you're running.

The oil molecules are still physically larger then the fuel molecules, so yes it does displace fuel, it does also burn, however It's not designed to be a fuel. Having said that I run my old 2 stroke mix in whatever 4 stroke needs gas at the time. Haven't ever had an issue doing so.

I purchases two of these, I'm donating one of them to the City's Parks and Recreation volunteer trail crews after I hold a chainsaw safety and certification series of sessions to ensure that people are safe. The first saw would not start, it does not run however the second saw runs just fine, it started the first pull and has been used in the field exactly once.

The second saw I have checked for spark and made sure that the gap was about .711, and I checked the gas inflow and outflow and that's fine, yet the second saw refuses to run -- and my volunteer group and I have had maybe 40 saws pass through our hands over the past 2 decades, we have worked with a lot of saws, and we get our certifications refreshed by a USFS Hot Shot fire crew every 2 or 3 years depending, so we have a lot of experience with 2-stroke saws.

These new 4-strokes from Senix we are evaluating since California will be banning the sale of 2-stroke next year for State and civilian use. Us Federal volunteers may or may not be expected to replace our 2-strokes with 4-strokes as the 2-strokes die off -- and we put a LOT of wood under our saws every year so we replace them every 4 years or so when even rebuilding the cylinder and carbs gets to be diminishing returns. :)

So we have mixed feelings / reviews about this saw. The one that runs is too new to know how well it is going to behave in difficult efforts, and the second one will not run at all.

We do find that this 4-stroke is a LOT quieter than the Stihl 2 strokes that we use, and we have a lot of Stihl in our call-out sheds. Over the coming decades we expect the saws to need to be replaced if we must follow State or civilian rules, we don't know yet if volunteers must follow Federal, yet so far we have mixed feelings about the Senix CS4QL-L3.

That may change. I have contacted the manufacturer's technical people to run through what we have done to diagnose the saw and to request additional suggested checks we might perform before sending it back to the manufacturer. I assume that the saws we purchased were exercised for a few hours before being shipped, then the oil drained from the powerhead before being shipped, so I assume that the manufacturer tested the saws before shipping -- yet upon arrival we find one of them absolutely will not start so we can't be certain that they get tested well or competently before being shipped.

Any way I Googled and found this discussion and thought I would create an account, Bookmark this discussion, and offer my initial evaluation. :) We shall see what the manufacturer says, I don't want to crack open the carb and rebuild since it's under warranty for the next two years.

Try spraying some carb cleaner in the non-running saw's carb, see if it'll even cough.

There's zero chance these saws will hold up in your usage. They're homeowner saws, at absolute best.

I've seen video footage of this saw cutting wood, it's not very impressive. There's a reason 4 stroke chainsaws aren't widely available. Power to weight ratio is terrible. Dolmar developed a 4 stroke saw some years ago but it never went to market that I'm aware of. It could possibly be a good firewood saw but that's about it.

Latest posts

Back