Freaked out, losing sleep...growing gray hairs! Need professional opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdgmcdon

Reaction score
We live in Sandy Oregon where we are currently experiencing the worst winter weather we've seen since the 50's according to the local news. Usually we get 3-4 snow falls in a winter, 5-8 inches TOPS and melts within 1-2 days. This year however it started snowing about a week ago, a little melt, a little more snow, some freezing rain, wind etc..all said and done in the last week we've gotten well over 3 FEET of snow (that I can measure). Currently have about 10+ inches snow, then freezing rain which created a 1/2 inch+ thick layer of solid ice over everything, then another 10+ inches on top of that, that's about what's on the ground and roofs at this point.

We live in a residential area surrounded by old growth, primarily cedars, these things are MASSIVE, like at LEAST 60 feet tall, maybe more (the two I'm about to mention are about twice the height of our three story home). We have two of these within about 10-15 feet from our house, one in back, one in front. Both have always leaned just a touch towards the house, but now with the weight on them I'm losing sleep thinking these suckers are going to tumble any minute. Two things cause me to have more concern than "just a tree" with these two trees:

One of these trees has a huge maple growing right next to it, practically in it, so close the trunks are pretty much touching at ground level and the branches of the two are intertwined. The other in the backyard is up on a hill on the side and when they cut the lot into the hill for the house they also cut the roots on that one about 5-6 feet away from the trunk and maybe 4-5 feet deep...Combine that with a slight lean towards the house, knowing they are heavily weighted down with snow and ice right now and that they would absolutely destroy our home if they came down...Well, I can't sleep, I'm growing gray hairs faster than I can count them...We've been couped up in the house for 3 days now due to weather conditions and it's not suppose to thaw out for 3-4 days and of course my concern about these trees is becoming a fear based obsession driving my wife nutts.

I don't hear any popping or crackling coming from these trees but our entire neighborhood is surrounded with these types of trees and I have heard quite a bit of crackling and popping in the area, no trees have come down so far that I know of but in the metro area (Portland and Salem) there are branches coming down everywhere causing power outages, haven't heard of any entire trees down yet, but I'm quite sure there have been plenty.

I don't know that there's anything we can do if this sounds like these could be a problem, but I just need some professional opinions. My new step father is a forester in WA and is telling me not to worry, "cedars almost never come down" - Is he just trying to calm my nerves?

Any thoughts, opinions, ideas etc on this would be greatly appreciated, I need a good nights sleep!

Thanks!

I live in Michigan, and we have winters way worse than you are describing...atleast we used...Where it'd snow and never really melt from end of September to end of March. The snow pretty much stayed on the trees all season. I have VERY rarely seen any "healthy" trees come down from the weight of the snow.

Most trees seem to fall quite slowly and with what seems to be not much force at all. So I doubt much damage would be done to your home. Especially if it is built as strong as the houses I build. I have a friend who had a HUGE oak tree fall on him, and he pretty much walked away from it. I mean, it drove him into the ground, and he had to have some sort of head brace to keep his spine straight or something for a few months...but no permenant damage. Plus pine trees will often times be supported by their limbs which will cushion the impact if they fall.

I wouldn't worry all that much. Damage will most likely be very minimal if any. I had a large Maple tree fall on my above ground pool in a summer wind storm (I think torondaos were near by but can't remember), and all it did was break teh fiberglass fencing and barely dented the aluminum decking. It fell so slowly that the fiberglass almost stopped it and held it. It actually did for a coupl seconds, then the fiberglass gave out and shattered then the tree dropped another 3 ft very slowly and rested on the pool deck (aluminum.) The weight of the tree and amount of time it was being supported by the deck is what barely damaged the decking.

RUN, FOREST, RUN!!! :help: ;)

But seriously, trees tend to grow in relation to their natural environment. So if the trees in a specific area get lots of snow and ice in the winter they will fair better. But severe weather is just that, severe. It can cause damage to trees which in normal circumstances would have been fine.

You say these trees are approx 60' tall. How big in diameter are they? Cedars have a fibrous root system (which is a good thing) for stability. And your stepfather, as a forester in a similar locale, has personal experience with these trees. Has he seen your trees in person?

The tree above your house with the cut roots. When was this done? How long ago. Does the tree show stress from that? Is it by itself or intertwined in a group? Was the grade then changed on that tree? Trees can come down suddenly, they can come down slowly. The force with which they will come down is determined by the force that drives them, mass and gravity with the mitigating factor of resistance (such as an intact, healthy root plate).

I would be less concerned about the tree that is intertwined with the maple as they tend to give each other support.

What we recommend here with sudden and excessive snow/ice events is to try to get out and shake as much snow/ice off the tree as possible. (Wear full arctic gear as it will feel like you are in an avalanche.) This can be done from the ground by tossing a rope with a weight on the end, over a large branch or trunk and standing back and giving a shake.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you are in a three story house. Where is your bedroom? Kitchen? TV room? To ease your mind, possibly move your headquarters to the lower floor for now.

Long term, when you can, get your trees evaluated by a professional in your area to preclude future loss of sleep.

Sylvia

The diameter of these trunks is about 3.5 feet (not measured, just guestimating). The mentioning of something slowing them down in a fall like wires, a fence (our house) etc, would in this case be our houseabout 15 feet away from the trees about 30 feet high, so they would have a decent amount of momentum built up before hitting the house. We're pretty much living in the living room (2nd floor) avoiding the third floor bedrooms. As for shaking the ice off there's no way I could make any serious dent in these in terms of ice/snow load, they are far too massive. In terms of weather these trees are use to, some wind in the winter (20+ mph), and very little ice/snow, like i said we usually only get 3-4 snow showers in winter with a few inches of accumulation that melts off pretty fast. We are now at well over 3 feet in the last week and we don't get storms like this except every 50 years or so.

Darn it! It's snowing again and wasn't suppose to today! Grrr!!

your house has to be quite a bit taller then 30 ft if it's 3 story. The side walls may be 30ft from the ground, but the peak of the roof should add atleast 15 ft (guessing as to the size of the house, 3 story homes are usually pretty big) Also you gotta consider the weight of the tree would dispersesed along the rake of the roof. And like I said earlier, if your home is built as good as the houses I have built, I highly doubt you'd have much if any damage. My guess is worst scenario is a limb may blast through a window...but prolly not from a Cedar

If there is a tree behind your trees you could tie them back. Make the rope good and taught and this should provide the extra support needed in this extreme situation..... Mike

good advice to tie back to lessen premature greyness. cedars way tough, Post-storm panicked craziness kills more trees than storms do imo. Give your wife a break and watch the evening news to get something new to worry about.

post a pic for better advice.

if it was me and i was worried about the safety of my wife and child i would not hesitate to fell them,, also i would rather fell them then rebuild the roof of my house, if it makes you feel better plant 10 new trees to replace them

Are you allowed to burn? Build a nice fire and melt the weight off
or point salamanders toward the out the windows to melt the load!
Tying them will only help if placed proper and adequate rope is used.

burn?? melt the snow ?? what ??heaters out windows ?? what??
FELL "EM" FELL"EM"NOW then you can burn them while you drink a nice cold one.

humm,, i would be more inclined to hug me misses as i burn the ceders in the fire, safe in the knowlege they will not fall on the house

Back