free stihl 038

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkrd14

Reaction score
Is this saw worth trying to fix? I just moved into a house with a few acres of thick woods. I was planning on buying a new chainsaw, but... I was cleaning out a shed in the back when i found a stihl 038AV. I have no idea how old it might be. It has a broken recoil. I took the recoil cover off and the spark plug out and was able to turn it over. I have also been able to determine that it has spark and compression. should i go further??? how old is it??? I know very little about chainsaws, please advise.

Nope not worth your time.

Just mail it to...

RaisedByWolves
997 Lincoln Rd.
Oldtown P.A.

And Ill dispose of it properly.

Just kidding, It is probably servicable, but it would depend on your skill level as to wether you could get it running.

Good find in any case.

Oh, Welcome aboard !

It will be a very good saw if you can get it running. Is it worth proceeding? Well, pull the exhaust off and examine the piston as it moves past the ports. If it is not scratched, scuffed up, you cannot feel bad bearings as you rotate it, it is worth a shot. You will probably have to clean the carb, clean the tank and maybe even the oil tank.

The broken recoil is a cheap (relatively) fix.

Harry K

RaisedByWolves said:
Nope not worth your time.

Just mail it to...

RaisedByWolves
997 Lincoln Rd.
Oldtown P.A.

And Ill dispose of it properly.

Just kidding, It is probably servicable, but it would depend on your skill level as to wether you could get it running.

Good find in any case.

Oh, Welcome aboard !

That was funny! And yes, welcome to the site turnkey4099

Back