Free to me MAC 610

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good find at a good price. Here's my take on them:

The Mac 610's are decent saws. Being realistic, they don't resemble a professional saw at any level. Power output is quite low for the size of the saw. They are simply OK with a 16" bar, marginal at best with a 20" bar, and 24" or 28" bar is a lesson in humility. At least that's what we see with them here in hardwoods.

I'm not trying to put a big black cloud over the find, if it's what you've got, and it's cheap, by all means give it a go. It will do a fine job for most cutting, really good in small stuff, and with some patience you can make it through the bigger logs as well.

A Mac-610 was actually the first saw we started out with way back some 30 years ago. They were dirt cheap in those days, and available at Kmart, JC Penny's and just about every hardware store in our area.

Ours sported a 20" bar, and it was smooth as silk, and cut many cords of wood to heat my dad's house. I remember the AV system to be very good.

Once we got serious about cutting, and selling a lot of firewood, we quickly moved up to Husqvarna chainsaws, and the Mac-610 sat in my dad's basement till a couple of years ago. I decided to resurrect it from the dead, so we got it out to have some fun with it.

With a little TLC it was up and running, and boring as ever, and WAY, WAY underpowered, at least in comparison to the current saws we have in our line-up. Out to a late summer yard sale it went, and nobody around here misses it......Cliff

I pretty much couldn't have said it better. Them ole fat bottomed saws were underpowered, but they were pretty reliable.

Yea, maybe a 24" cuttin a pine tree on a good day.

And yes I have had a couple, ran a couple more and have one right now. I listed it in the swap thread, someone please trade me something for it.

Last edited:
610's run great for a 60cc saw. Not much more power can be pulled from one easily. Just stock up on parts and use the SH!T out of it.

And yes I have had a couple, ran a couple more and have one right now. I listed it in the swap thread, someone please trade me something for it.

Whaddaya want for it? I do't think your ad's been approved yet or I didn't see it anyway.

Hmmm...I'm cutting nothing but hardwood so no go on the 24" bar? What about with skip chain?

I wouldn't, not for a steady diet of it anyway.

But thats me, maybe you would be happy with it, if you know the limitations and keep a light touch on it. Also keep the bar oil thinned in severe cold, or that impulse driven oiler won't like it at all trying to oil a bar that long.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back