Free Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trish Parkes

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Maybe I've been speaking to the wrong people. I have several trees 75ft. tall, nice and straight. An Oak 5' around 3 or 4 Locust and a cherry or two. I've called cabinet makers, companies that cut timber. Everyone tells me that they are only good for chipping. Is that possible?!? I just need them removed I don't want them to be garbage. It would be a TRUE shame. They are too big to manage but all are healthy.

Thank you for your help!
Trish

Your subject says free trees that will make them valuable to someone for sure if I was in your neck of the woods I would take them in a heartbeat they are not worthless i'm sure someone else will chime in I am no expert on what they would be worth to sell but i'm sure anyone here would love to get their mills on em'. thanks irishcountry

Maybe I've been speaking to the wrong people. I have several trees 75ft. tall, nice and straight. An Oak 5' around 3 or 4 Locust and a cherry or two. I've called cabinet makers, companies that cut timber. Everyone tells me that they are only good for chipping. Is that possible?!? I just need them removed I don't want them to be garbage. It would be a TRUE shame. They are too big to manage but all are healthy.

Thank you for your help!
Trish

Too bad your 3/4 of the country away from me. I would tip em and put them on my sawmill.

What about contacting the smaller sawmill owners in your area?

Kevin

Trish I'm about 2 hours east of you outside of Philadelphia and would be interested in the cherry if they are big enough. Are they already on the ground of would you need me to drop them for you?

Thank you for your help!
Trish

Are these in your yard or near/around an old homestead?

If so, likely there will be metal in them.

Would you be able to try to post a pic or two?

Our local lumber markets are not doing too well and especially on non-White Oak trees.

There is definite firewood value with what you have mentioned above. How involved the take down will be, is another story.

These trees are in the yard all are still standing. The Oak is beautiful. I think it's called a Pin Oak. I will put pictures up(try). I can also ask neighbors if they have any they want down to try to make it more worth the effort. But I don't think what I have will be taken in one trip. This neighborhood is full of very mature trees. I know that gas is expensive and the economy is bad. We're feeling it too. If it would help I can hang on to them I just don't want them to be trash. To me, it's an example of how gluttenous people have become. All to often, I find people that are looking for the easy way out and won't make the effort to come take them. Logistics aside, with some effort you can take them and use them. I know all you guys could think of millions of things if you could get your hands on them. I know I would love cherry floors but there's not enough.

Trish can your trees be 'felled'?

Felled means being dropped in one piece in the yard.

Or do they need to be removed piece by piece by an experienced tree removal crew?

cmon man. you know the answer to this. this is a craigslist add that somehow made it directly to Asite.

free tree's boys. go and get em!

lol

I spent the day in York on Wednesday doing service work for some restaurants. I do make it down there every few weeks, or so.

What part of town? How close to 83?

Usually there is little interest in such trees for lumber because the cost of removing them, transporting them, and milling them into lumber is generally more than the lumber is 'worth' on the open market.

And generally as others pointed out, the trees cannot easily be felled and hauled away, and are usually surrounded by houses, fences, in rear yards, or are otherwise inaccessible to the heavy equipment needed to drop them and haul them away in usable pieces.

Unless you find someone around here that has more time than money to invest in retrieving the usable lumber, and you're willing to sacrifice fences, lawn, flowers, shrubbery, and whatever else is in the way, then I predict that having them removed for 'free' will be a hard sell.

cmon man. you know the answer to this. this is a craigslist add that somehow made it directly to Asite.

free tree's boys. go and get em!

lol

No this isn't a craigslist add. Know what you're talking about before your start running at the mouth.

Yes, some of them can be felled.

See I told you, just someone who too lazy to come get the stuff and make something out of them. If we had the tools I wouldn't be waisting my time with guys like this.

Trish can your trees be 'felled'?

Felled means being dropped in one piece in the yard.

Or do they need to be removed piece by piece by an experienced tree removal crew?

Yes some can. With a little encouragement. We've done a couple but these they're getting big. I don't really know what kind of tools you guys have. I only have neighbors on two sides.

Last edited:
Usually there is little interest in such trees for lumber because the cost of removing them, transporting them, and milling them into lumber is generally more than the lumber is 'worth' on the open market.

And generally as others pointed out, the trees cannot easily be felled and hauled away, and are usually surrounded by houses, fences, in rear yards, or are otherwise inaccessible to the heavy equipment needed to drop them and haul them away in usable pieces.

Unless you find someone around here that has more time than money to invest in retrieving the usable lumber, and you're willing to sacrifice fences, lawn, flowers, shrubbery, and whatever else is in the way, then I predict that having them removed for 'free' will be a hard sell.

I know that the expenses out weighs the return which is why they are free. I just hate to see them trash but if that's the way it goes I tried.

I spent the day in York on Wednesday doing service work for some restaurants. I do make it down there every few weeks, or so.

What part of town? How close to 83?

I'm off of Mt. Rose in Haines Acres. Tons of mature trees in the area.

I know that the expenses out weighs the return which is why they are free. I just hate to see them trash but if that's the way it goes I tried.

You're going to pay anyways to have them removed, it is just a matter of to what degree, and to what degree is it important to you how the trees are utilized.

You are going to pay, probably quite a bit, to have them removed professionally, chipped, and scrapped out for firewood.
You are going to pay, (maybe less if you find someone willing to do it) to have them pieced out and hauled away to be turned into usable lumber. Not milled by a professional mill, but rather by a milling hobbiest, as the big guys don't generally touch the small stuff. And most little guys don't either.

And generally speaking, the less you pay for removal, the more risk you assume and more damage you incur from the removal process....whatever method you choose. There are exceptions, but unless you are willing to have someone set up a portable mill in your yard and mill the stuff on site, or you're willing to incur some damage to your yard and lawn to get the equipment in to properly drop them and remove them in sizable enough sections for milling, then the only other option is to cut them down and chop them into small pieces for easy removal, i.e. 'firewood'.

It always cracks me up when people talk about 'free' wood for milling, not realizing the economics of what they are asking, nor willing to endure the trouble and effort necessary to see that the trees are turned into something besides firewood and mulch.

Yes, it does cost to have pros remove trees-ask me I'll tell ya. On the other hand there aren't enough details here to make such a hasty judgement. I think, this person is doing a very nice thing and I hope someone can help them out...

No this isn't a craigslist add. Know what you're talking about before your start running at the mouth.

oh trish. dear sweet trish.

i do know of which i speak regarding your precious trees and your want for them to finish out their lives as a dinner table or perhaps a chair for you to sit in.

its lovely, all that. it really is.

but in a far more realistic situation, and i guess you can call it knowing of what i speak, is that you are not going to be getting rid of these big ass tree's of your's for free.

some one will come and give you a price that you think is astronomical and then you will call someone else who will come in well below that number. you'll choose this guy because you are not wanting to stray to far from your "free".

now me knowing of what i speak will say this. going with the cheapest guy is only going to cost you more in the long run.

have fun trish!

You idiots crack me up.

It always cracks me up when people talk about 'free' wood for milling, not realizing the economics of what they are asking, nor willing to endure the trouble and effort necessary to see that the trees are turned into something besides firewood and mulch.[/QUOTE]

Don't assume because it's not clearly stated for your comprehension level that I've not done my homework. I didn't/don't have them cut up incase there are specific lengths that are needed for a project. And I thought it would be a waste to have them chipped, but this is far more aggravation then is necessary. If your not interested don't respond. You're too quick to spout off to really have anything useful to contribute so - what's your point. In this economy if someone could use them for heat this winter then they've still served a good purpose. But I'm SURE you'll enlighten us with your opinions otherwise.

oh trish. dear sweet trish.

i do know of which i speak regarding your precious trees and your want for them to finish out their lives as a dinner table or perhaps a chair for you to sit in.

its lovely, all that. it really is.

but in a far more realistic situation, and i guess you can call it knowing of what i speak, is that you are not going to be getting rid of these big ass tree's of your's for free.

some one will come and give you a price that you think is astronomical and then you will call someone else who will come in well below that number. you'll choose this guy because you are not wanting to stray to far from your "free".

now me knowing of what i speak will say this. going with the cheapest guy is only going to cost you more in the long run.

have fun trish!

Really!?! Do you really. Please, my precious tree - does it keep you up a night. Worrying. How someone may want to do something nice for someone and not ask anything. Did I ever insinuate that I could not afford to have them removed or did you jump to that conclusion your self. Did I ask any of you to handle anything financial? You know of what you speak - don't give you're self that much credit. I meant free to YOU not for me. But there's that old adage when you assume you just make an ass of yourself.

Yes, it does cost to have pros remove trees-ask me I'll tell ya. On the other hand there aren't enough details here to make such a hasty judgement. I think, this person is doing a very nice thing and I hope someone can help them out...

Thank you. At this point I'm not interested anymore. But I'm sure that the trees would help someone for the winter.

Thank you. At this point I'm not interested anymore. But I'm sure that the trees would help someone for the winter.

Don't blame you one bit.

I have cleaned up trees just for the firewood value. Was even somewhat chastised on the forum for that very thing. Didn't bother me in the least, because it was less work, for more wood, than if I got it off our farm.

Maybe someone will read this and send you a pm.

There may be a chance someone could drop the trees for a couple of hundred each and another would be very grateful to have the firewood.

Don't give up on us yet; Although, you are just too far for me to be able to make that run economically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back