Freebie...need some help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deebo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I can see from the searching I have done the Stihl 039 is not exactly a sought after saw, but had one given to me in pieces. I just cut firewood and thought this would be a good backup for my 359. I have built countless 2-stroke quad and dirtbike motors so I have some knowledge. I see I can get a piston from Bailey's for $35. My first big question is how are these cylinders setup as far as sleeved, nik'd..... If they are sleeved can these be bored? I did not see any overbore pistons listed.. If Nik'd, what is the cost to replate one? I see a OEM replacement is outrageous. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

The cylinders are Nikasil'ed, so they cannot be bored, at least not without replating and fitting an oversized piston. The cost for a replate is ~$200, which is not very practical for most people to justify.

Either find a used cylinder, clean up the one you have if you can, bite the bullet on new, or sell/use this one as a parts saw.

Thank you. I will have to look at it closer to see if it is salvageable. In the meantime, does anyone have a good used 039 jug sitting around?

Thank you. I will have to look at it closer to see if it is salvageable. In the meantime, does anyone have a good used 039 jug sitting around?

If you search the site (use advanced search, it works better) there are good instructions on how to clean up saw cylinders, if you aren't familiar from your other 2 stroke toys.

Back