frequency of 029's on fleabay.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc874

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is it just me or are there alot of MS029's on fleabay bay with cooked engines/scored piston's. I know i just bought the plastics etc... minus engine here and the saw wasn't very old. When i cleaned the airfilter there was quite abit of fine sawdust inside the airfilter halves and again inside the intake boot. To me it seems one of two things is contributing to these higher rates of failure ( 1 ) The airfilter system is crap. ( 2 ) On the airfilter cover near the carb adjusting holes it has 1/4 turn for the L screw and 1/2 turn for the H ( I could have these backwards as i am not looking at the saw right now. ) Doesn't these carb adjustments seem out of wack with most of the other Stihl saw line typically adjusted at 1 turn from lightly seated? Just my 2/cents worth.

Last edited:
Is it just me or are there alot of MS029's on fleabay bay with bay engines/scored piston's. I know i just bought the plastics etc... minus engine here and the saw wasn't very old. When i cleaned the airfilter there was quite abit of fine sawdust inside the airfilter halves and again inside the intake boot. To me it seems one of two things is contributing to these higher rates of failure ( 1 ) The airfilter system is crap. ( 2 ) On the airfilter cover near the carb adjusting holes it has 1/4 turn for the L screw and 1/2 turn for the H ( I could have these backwards as i am not looking at the saw right now. ) Doesn't these carb adjustments seem out of wack with most of the other Stihl saw line typically adjusted at 1 turn from lightly seated? Just my 2/cents worth.

I don`t have a 029 here to look at but my other Stihl`s have similar settings marked on the air filter box but the screws are set with limiter caps on them at about one turn out and the limiter caps allow the amount of adjustment that is marked on the cover. As far as I can tell this allows for the usual settings of around 1-1 and1/4 out to 1 and 1/2. I am not 100% positive on this but when I pulled the limiter caps off my Stihls after modding mufflers I would turn in the screws to lightly seated and the initial settings were close to one turn out. Pioneerguy600

There are lots of 029/290's on eBay.....both running and non-running. I also noticed a while back that the same is true of the 026/260. I think the only conclusion you can draw is that there are a lot of these saws out there. The 029/290 probably suffers from non-use and non-informed users who don't mix fuel properly or run old fuel in the saw.....or don't take care of their saw. My 029 was 12 years old when I sold it and it still ran fine - I just wanted a bigger saw.

I think the 026/260's probably suffer more from being worn out or abused by employees in the tree service/landscaping business.

I really don't think you can conclude that these saws have a defect in the entire lineup - you can probably only conclude that the good saws are still in service and the broken ones are on eBay as the sellers are trying to make a few bucks on their broken stuff.

There are lots of 029/290's on eBay.....both running and non-running. I also noticed a while back that the same is true of the 026/260. I think the only conclusion you can draw is that there are a lot of these saws out there. The 029/290 probably suffers from non-use and non-informed users who don't mix fuel properly or run old fuel in the saw.....or don't take care of their saw. My 029 was 12 years old when I sold it and it still ran fine - I just wanted a bigger saw.

I think the 026/260's probably suffer more from being worn out or abused by employees in the tree service/landscaping business.

I really don't think you can conclude that these saws have a defect in the entire lineup - you can probably only conclude that the good saws are still in service and the broken ones are on eBay as the sellers are trying to make a few bucks on their broken stuff.

Agreed. I am not trying to draw a conclusion really but it seems that this particular model seems to come-up for sale more frequently than other's and usually they are newer with fried piston and cylinder's.

The 029/290 probably suffers from non-use and non-informed users who don't mix fuel properly or run old fuel in the saw.....or don't take care of their saw.

Amateurs... :)

With it being Stihl's #1 selling saw, I can only imagine how many are out there. With the flood of broken ones on ebay, imagine how many are out there are that are still running strong. I would love to know some true sales numbers for the 029, MS290 series... Lakeside???

Latest posts

Back