Friendly Chain Competition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No you can grind one. I've had decent luck grinding but find another 20% in cut speed by filing and nothing else done to the chain. All the other stuff will give you small gains but those big time guys looking for a big pay out it's worth it. They spend 30-40 hours on one chain.
That'll never be me...
I just file em'... Then some more stuff if time allows... If not...
Runnit!!!

That'll never be me...
I just file em'... Then some more stuff if time allows... If not...
Runnit!!!

I don't have that kind of time either. I'm lucky to get a few hours a day to do stuff I want to do. We're trying to move a lot of stuff around for storage space and it sucks. I need to break down and get a yard barn to put most of my junk in. Just not sure I want that much $$$ sitting out there.

seems like if i do the blue wheel to get them all the same ,then hand file about 5 swipes per cutter i get a fairly smooth chain ,but i suck on the lh cutters still ,i am not left handed at all ,let me know what dl to shorten one of my chains to and i will just do one of my work chains and see how it stacks up ,seems like they cut the best when i get down to about 1/3 of the cutter left ,must be the open gap between the raker and the cutter is all i can think ,i have full comp in .050 and full skip 91 dl i can shorten ,and full skip or semi skip .063 i can shorten down ,what works better for these races ? skip or full comp ?

I want to build a superfast chain and secretly put it on my hoped up saws and video them in hopes of getting more business.
I'll just say it's a left handed round filed chain.

A saw that can start and stop in a fir tree while you are sighting in which way its going is more important then a fast cookie off the end of a log to me

Me like's tourque :cool:

seems like if i do the blue wheel to get them all the same ,then hand file about 5 swipes per cutter i get a fairly smooth chain ,but i suck on the lh cutters still ,i am not left handed at all ,let me know what dl to shorten one of my chains to and i will just do one of my work chains and see how it stacks up ,seems like they cut the best when i get down to about 1/3 of the cutter left ,must be the open gap between the raker and the cutter is all i can think ,i have full comp in .050 and full skip 91 dl i can shorten ,and full skip or semi skip .063 i can shorten down ,what works better for these races ? skip or full comp ?
84 drive links in .063 or .050
Your choice...
I'd say full comp, but have seen semi skip do well in the past..

Put me down fer a couple loops, one square and one round. Both in .050 gauge. I can also help some wood if ya need me to. How 'bout some Walnut crotch with a few lag bolts in it?
We'll save that one for Stephen's chain...
If you run across a chunk of somethin that would make a good 20+" cant and few knots, gimme a holler...
We'll have a mill on site to square em' up.

We'll save that one for Stephen's chain...
If you run across a chunk of somethin that would make a good 20+" cant and few knots, gimme a holler...
We'll have a mill on site to square em' up.
Matt, do you have a Norwood? I've been looking at their portable smaller bandsaw mill...

I saw a race chain once lol does that account for anything? ive seen a few fast ones too :buttkick: I happen to own a couple of really really good chains filed by hand by one of the best.

Back