Frozen logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockfarmer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
well its that time of year in the northeast and the pine logs I have waiting to be milled must be frozen by now. I was talking with a friend last night and he said that all frozen wood mills the same, hardwoods, softwoods you name it, if its froze it mills hard. I guess I didnt want to hear this but the more I think about it the more it make sense to me. What do you guys think?

Frankly, I prefer to mill when it is 30 instead of 90. But that is just me. My chain saw hasn't blown up, and I haven't frozen stiff. You might try one log and see if it makes any difference to you. The only issue is if you have help on site... they may take issue with the 30 degrees... :)

I mill most in the winter as it seems to keep temps down on the saw,bar&chain.I have milled when in the teens and still sweated alot while doing it many times.The only thing that stops me is deep snow.I find frozen wood is a little harder to mill,but not much.;)

The bandmill just eats the frozen wood. I almost prefer it to the hot weather.

The chainsaw goes through it as well. It is the half frozen logs that are not fun.

Good Luck

Kevin

Back