FS 130 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLD_IRON

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I think I just broke my FS 130 brushcutter...

Was using it for a couple hours when it started to run on its own, I did feel a little bit of a vibration so I shut if off. Now I cannot restart it and when I try to pull start, the cutting head rotates (and it's not supposed to). I take it that its something mechanical like a clutch or something??

Yeah...if the cutting head is rotating on starting...a clutch problem.
I think Stihl clutches are warranted for life....maybe wrong on that??
I'm with 'alderman' on this and think likely cause is a spring.

How do you like the fs130 overall??
I'm thinking of buying one...seems best bang for the buck...
any other problems or dislikes??
:cheers:
J2F

Yeah...if the cutting head is rotating on starting...a clutch problem.
I think Stihl clutches are warranted for life....maybe wrong on that??
I'm with 'alderman' on this and think likely cause is a spring.

How do you like the fs130 overall??
I'm thinking of buying one...seems best bang for the buck...
any other problems or dislikes??
J2F

Overall its a good, reliable machine. I have used the heck out of mine but it's holding up pretty good for the most part and takes a beating.

Thanks for reply...
There's something going on with the clutch...as you said it shouldn't rotate...it is a centrifugal clutch...something is wedged between the clutch shoe and the drum causing it to rotate on starting.
Released clutch shoe (glue released??) happened to me on an Echo trimmer and was wedged. Not very good construction like you would see from Stihl.
You just got to take it down to the clutch drum as see what's there.
A broke spring would allow contact and also create vibration problem.
Very likely a simple and cheap fix.
J2F

Last edited:
I actually had the same symptoms on a Shindaiwa. Clutch spring came loose, most likely from running at slow speed and allowing clutch to "chatter". Only has happened once. Now I try to keep the rpm's up.

View attachment 176649

You need to dismantle and clean your FS 130 clutch. Likely that the ring (part No. 0000 961 0601) is stuck tight, and maybe a bit has also broken off at the nib.
I've marked the part in the attached picture.

We sell and service FS 130 brushcutters here in Kerala state, India.

Last edited:
Figured I'd update...

Well I just got my 130 back from the shop yesterday. The clutch spring, clutch, and the bearings had to be replaced. Also needed 2 engine seals replaced too.

You didn't say how old your FS130 was, by any chance was this a warranty repair?

The old girl is almost 4 years old.

I was also using the Woodland Pro synthetic oil, which they said contributed to the destroyed seals - fortunately no metal damage - so back to the Stihl oil.

Other than needing carbon removal, the engine is in good shape.

Back