FS 90-R vs. KM 90-R: Difference???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Reaction score
Just want to know what the difference between these two power heads is?

Looking at Kombi systems, but was told I could use the FS 90-R for the power head on a Kombi and switch shafts???

Someone school me on these Stihls please...

Just want to know what the difference between these two power heads is?

Looking at Kombi systems, but was told I could use the FS 90-R for the power head on a Kombi and switch shafts???...

Same power head on the FM90-R Kombi and the FS90-R. The Kombi can run more attachments but the FS90-R is more popular locally because the grass cutter and polycut heads take care of most the work.

Same power head on the FM90-R Kombi and the FS90-R. The Kombi can run more attachments but the FS90-R is more popular locally because the grass cutter and polycut heads take care of most the work.

can you swap the shaft our on the FS90r to give it the combi shaft?

Not sure about swapping the shaft. You probably can. If you need to, get the kombi. I'm pretty sure you can swap gear boxes though. You just need to see if the shafts are the same diameter. You just buy the kombi attachment and remove the gear box from the shaft. It takes a lot longer than the kombi though. That's why they made it, but if you don't do a lot of swapping it may save you some money.

can you swap the shaft our on the FS90r to give it the combi shaft?

You can mount the engine from the FS90 on a KM shaft. You also can buy "gearbox" attachments that will swap right in place of the trimmer head. Not quite as quick of a changeover as the KM system but you don't have to change out the shaft. You can remove the half shaft from KM attachments to use them on FS trimmers as well.

Clear as mud?

You can mount the engine from the FS90 on a KM shaft. You also can buy "gearbox" attachments that will swap right in place of the trimmer head. Not quite as quick of a changeover as the KM system but you don't have to change out the shaft. You can remove the half shaft from KM attachments to use them on FS trimmers as well.

Clear as mud?

clear as crystal... That's basically what I was wanting to know. I needed to clear up whether a combi 1/2 shaft system could be used with the fs90 power head. Sounds like you just put the bottom KM 1/2 shaft from a kombi on the fs90 and then you can use any combi tools on a FS power head. Right?

If this is correct what's the difference between the FS and KM powerhead units if you exclude the shaft differences? plastics and name badge?

You can't run extension shafts on the FS powerhead, blower and curve edger attachment.

clear as crystal... That's basically what I was wanting to know. I needed to clear up whether a combi 1/2 shaft system could be used with the fs90 power head. Sounds like you just put the bottom KM 1/2 shaft from a kombi on the fs90 and then you can use any combi tools on a FS power head. Right?

If this is correct what's the difference between the FS and KM powerhead units if you exclude the shaft differences? plastics and name badge?

I am not certain there is one. from what I understand you can even take an fs130 power head or evan an fc130 (edger) power head and put the kombi shaft on it. I had been looking for a used kombi shaft to put on my fs130 power head for that reason. So I could still have a fs130 trimmer power and be able to get a hedger end on it also.

The engines should be identical. As mentioned in another post, there is no way to run KM blowers and curved shaft edgers on an FS trimmer shaft. Every other attachment should be available as a gearbox attachment which is the same as the KM version just without the bottom half shaft section. If you were to obtain a top half shaft from a KM and install a FS trimmer engine on it, then you would have created a complete KM power head that will work with any KM attatchment out of the box.

So here's the next question.

On the KM pole trimmers: I'll be needing the bar cover and nut. I assume the nut is the same as a Stihl saw (if so, I got one). However, is the bar cover the same on the HT & KM pole saws???? part number anyone?

Back