Fuel bottles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just picked up some stainless steel bottles @ Walgreen's that were 3 for $10 buckees. They hold 1200ml or 41oz.

I absolutely hate the new CARB compliant gas cans that spill all over. Slamm had a great idea a while back about used bar oil jugs for mixed gas. I like those that have a sight glass on the side with graduated markings so that one can mix a gallon at a time from a bulk 5 gallon can.

vz7ij9.jpg

105v9df.jpg

Sorry a little too close, (blurry), but they have a nice silicone O ring and hard plastic top with a caribeener.:clap:

2iu5bug.jpg

Slamm's bar oil jugs idea, see the graduated markings.

i1zdqa.jpg

The one on the end I have not tried yet, but it has a nice handle, a 1 gallon refillable water jug.

2hqbh4k.jpg

Last edited:
I use fuel bottles as well, they work good, never fill them more than 3/4 full or they will crack the bottom of the bottle, you need to leave room for expansion. Make yourself a stencil and spraybomb them saying fuel/gas/dragon piss......whatever will let others know it aint for drinking.

I find they are perfec for when I am travelling on my atv and just might need one more tank of fuel in the saw.

I've been using 1 Qt oil bottles for gas, for the reason stated above.

For B&C oil when I do trail work, I'm going to try this:

This is the bladder from a 5L Wine box.
Wine5L_1895.jpg

The same bladder with ~2 Qts of B&C oil. The black spigot pops out easily with a screw driver.
Wine5L_1899.jpg

I opened up the spigot with a pen knife, flows surprisingly well. Also, the spigot fits inside the oil hole, the wrap bar is not an issue.

Disadvantage: Handling the oil bag is a bit of a wet noodle. :)

Just attend some local auctions and pickup some old style gas cans.

I've been using 1 Qt oil bottles for gas, for the reason stated above.

Wine5L_1895.jpg

The same bladder with ~2 Qts of B&C oil. The black spigot pops out easily with a screw driver.
Wine5L_1899.jpg

I opened up the spigot with a pen knife, flows surprisingly well. Also, the spigot fits inside the oil hole, the wrap bar is not an issue.

Disadvantage: Handling the oil bag is a bit of a wet noodle.

Whats wrong with the plastic one gallon jug the oil came in, its worked well for me and is looking a lot more durable than a wine bladder.

In the slow season I use the Trufuel and keep the empty bottles. When things pick up I then have some good containers to carry fuel in that I mix. Plus, they are already labeled. I like the water bottle idea, they carry more fuel per container.

2012-02-25111420.jpg

Last edited:
In the slow season I use the Trufuel and keep the empty bottles. When things pick up I then have some good containers to carry fuel in that I mix. Plus, they are already labeled. I like the water bottle idea, they carry more fuel per container.

2012-02-25111420.jpg

This is what I do as it is made for fuel.

Wine5L_1895.jpg

Wine5L_1899.jpg

Disadvantage: Handling the oil bag is a bit of a wet noodle.

Whats wrong with the plastic one gallon jug the oil came in, its worked well for me and is looking a lot more durable than a wine bladder.
This has to fit in a backpack, plan to put the chaps in the sleeping bag spot, saw in upper compartment, rigid bottles like the OP's SS and a gal B&C bottle take too much space. This guy collapses as I use the oil, besides it's 1/3rd the weight.

Gal_Empty_1898.jpg

MSR and Sigg fuel bottles are very common for mix or oil in wildland firefighting. The USFS has specs on the pressure the bottles will hold. MSR bottles are nice because they can be slung from the top with a carabiner. Several companies make packs to hold 2, 4, or 6 1 liter bottles. Let me know if you need pics or links. BTW I paint the oil bottles green. Generally I will have 4 gas and 2 oil bottles in their carry bag.

I still have a bunch of those old WEDCO gas oil can combos that I use , I just picked up 7 bottles of the premix fuel though because I kept getting bad gas .

I like my MSR bottles, my concern with those stainless water bottles,the tops/O rings are not furl rated. I wouldn't mind the water bottles the are considerably cheaper than MSR.

MSR bottles thread down tightly are made for fuel, and don't leak . Those SS water bottles have coarse threads that can/will fail.

Saving my tru fuel and motomix cans for future fuel use if I switch to the non ethanol gas. Really thinking of just sticking with the trufuel and motomix though, so much easier to store, no worries about mixing it wrong or using the wrong jug, and no worries about leaving in my saw or trimmer.

Saving my tru fuel and motomix cans for future fuel use if I switch to the non ethanol gas. Really thinking of just sticking with the trufuel and motomix though, so much easier to store, no worries about mixing it wrong or using the wrong jug, and no worries about leaving in my saw or trimmer.

Doing the same. The pre-mix started out high $$, but it's showing up at Home Depot now and like most any other product, will get discounted once sales volume goes up. Better yet, find a station selling non-ethanol gas and make your own.

Be careful what you use guys, in most states it is illegal to transport fuel in any container not specifically designed and labled for the fuel they are carrying.

It may seem silly or inconvenient, but accidents have happened too often to say it can't happen to you.

Mark

We have cops at UMASS that love to stop landscapers and check their loads for proper strapping and such. They haven't caught on to the gas can issue yet, I still see some grounds guys with old jerry cans on their trucks. Personally I use brass safety cans, they work awesome and dont bulge with the temp changes. The funnels that go with them are a pain but work better than a seperate funnel.

Latest posts

Back