Fuel Filter on Honda Engine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 340GX just has a screen that is in the opening of the gas tank. kinda like a strainer.. I;m sure you could put on on if you wanted but you'd have to make sure it doesn't restrict the follow.

I added an inline filter on a Honda powered (don't recall the size) pressure washer and have yet to see any ill affects. Just be sure and line up the arrows. :msp_biggrin:

Steve

Not 100% sure but I think I read some where that the GX series has 2 gas filters, 1 where You pour gas in and I think the other in the fuel line.

As stated before, some have a coarse filter just under the cap that can be rotated and pulled out. The other is in the bottom of the tank...really just a finer strainer. best bet is if your worried but a 4 dollar auto parts store plastic one in line.

add one

Just add an inline filter anyplace you can fit it to the fuel line. Cheap easy solution.

The other thing I do is not trust gross pump gas straight for any small engines. Pump gas is designed for vehicles with much larger everything in them, including their built in filters. It just isn't designed/refined sold for small engines with little bitty tiny openings for gas flow, it just ain't.

All my fuel from the five gallon can gets run through a filter funnel into the smaller cans. The smaller cans feed the various equipment. You get a lot of the chunky stuff out that way right off the bat, from any pump any station I have tried so far.

My filter funnel is a fine mesh, but these look even better, pulls out any water as well as the chunky stuff. Going to gift myself one at the upcoming holiday consumer binge buying season. Looks to be the ticket for old gas, ethanol fuel, etc. Who knows, heard rumors on the internets that the refiners might stop selling pure gas for the most part, the push for ethanol in gas and even more ethanol percentage wise has a powerful lobby behind it.

Fuel Funnel Filter Home

As the others have stated, the honda 160 has a filter/strainer at the bottom of the gas tank. Some folks will add an inline filter.

Mine is acting up right now. Seems to be surging with the new carb. I'm beginning to hate small engines.

As the others have stated, the honda 160 has a filter/strainer at the bottom of the gas tank. Some folks will add an inline filter.

Mine is acting up right now. Seems to be surging with the new carb. I'm beginning to hate small engines.

Have you tried running it with the cap loose?

Just ran one today that would not run right with the cap tight. I guess there is a vent that must be plugged or stuck.

gg

Have you tried running it with the cap loose?

Just ran one today that would not run right with the cap tight. I guess there is a vent that must be plugged or stuck.

gg

Yes, i tried that (will try it again before moving on to more complex strategies). I replaced the carb, gaskets, spark plug & air filter, too. Fortunately, it cranks n runs, which is more than I can say was the case a few weeks ago. Appreciate the idea. Keep em coming.

Most of the GX series engines are equipped with a strainer (called a fuel joint assembly) on the inlet of the fuel line. There is also a sediment cup which is located under the fuel ON / OFF lever. In addition some of these engines also have a fuel strainer at the fuel tank opening.

Yes, i tried that (will try it again before moving on to more complex strategies). I replaced the carb, gaskets, spark plug & air filter, too. Fortunately, it cranks n runs, which is more than I can say was the case a few weeks ago. Appreciate the idea. Keep em coming.

If it ran right once......it should run right with a new carb unless there is a fuel flow problem. Or maybe the increasing ethanol content in the pump gas is making the engine run lean. Ethanol blends require a slightly richer mixture to run correctly.

Just for kicks.....go get some Avgas 100LL and see how the engine runs. I have a generator with fixed jets in the carb and it runs lean on pump gas - but runs great on Avgas. The generator also benefits from having Avgas in it when stored.....as it will always start right up as the Avgas keeps forever. I am not a big fan of using Avgas in my chainsaws....but it works great in the generator and correct the lean mixture problem.

Latest posts

Back