Fuel line trick #2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Need to make a fuel line for a Homie XL-101 type. The outlet hole in the fuel tank is a tad over 5/16" and the tygon is loose in the hole. So, rounded up a length of 1/8" o.d. x .014" wall brass tube and cut a 1/2"-3/4" in length of it. Some 5/16" o.d. x 1/4" i.d. tygon and some 1/4" o.d. x 1/8" i.d. tygon.

View attachment 200867
attachment.php

Insert the brass tubing in the end of the 1/4" x 1/8". Shove it all the way in.
View attachment 200868
attachment.php

Insert the 1/4" tygon w/brass into the end of the 5/16 x 1/4. Notice the bulge. Very important to have a bulge. Get the full length of the brass tube inside the 5/16" tygon.
View attachment 200875
attachment.php

Continue next panel.

Last edited:
Run the 5/16" x 1/4" tygon into the filler hole and out the exit.
View attachment 200876
attachment.php

Pull hard on the end of the 5/16" tygon untill you can see half the length of the brass tubing.
View attachment 200877
attachment.php

Cut each end of your new fuel hose to length and attach to carb. and fuel filter.

Beats the snot out of ebay price of 25 USD for a NOS line of unknown age (hard/brittle).

Last edited:
thats a real smart fix ,i gotta remember that one ,got plenty of tygon around ,and the clear tubing will allow you to see any air bubbles if the tubing develops any cracks jk

A neat trick to add on to your trick:

Du-Bro (a RC/Archery/Angling hobby parts mfgr) makes tiny little hose barbs that you can easily solder on to a piece of small brass tubing. I like to use these whenever I make up a splice fitting or custom elbow or tee fitting since they won't let the hose slip off after the initial softening of the line upon exposure to fuel.

Jimbo

Last edited:
A neat trick to add on to your trick:

Du-Bro (a RC/Archery/Angling hobby parts mfgr) makes tiny little hose barbs that you can easily solder on to a piece of small brass tubing. I like to use these whenever I make up a splice fitting or custom elbow or tee fitting since they won't let the hose slip off after the initial softening of the line upon exposure to fuel.

Jimbo

I suspected the R.C. car/plane segment of the hobby had 'stuff' we could use.

Need to make a fuel line for a Homie XL-101 type. The outlet hole in the fuel tank is a tad over 5/16" and the tygon is loose in the hole. So, rounded up a length of 1/8" o.d. x .014" wall brass tube and cut a 1/2"-3/4" in length of it. Some 5/16" o.d. x 1/4" i.d. tygon and some 1/4" o.d. x 1/8" i.d. tygon.

thats exactly how i replaced teh fuel hose on my craftsman 2.3/16.... couldn't find any hose with the right od to seal the tank, so i figured a force fit would be the next best thing...it worked using the same size hose, cut and coupled with a piece of tubing,, its been 3-4 years now,,,
i had that saw before i found this forum,,,so i had to figure it out myself!!!!!

That's a nice tip, I bought a 50' roll of the gray homelite line on ebay and couldn't be happier. It seems like new line to me and it was 1/2 the price of the tygon I bought locally. I use it on almost everything these days, and it holds up for impulse lines as well.

That is amazing and exactly what I needed, Thank you!
I think that's my saw too.

A hair dryer or electric heat gun can be used to soften tygon so as to expand the internal diameter easier, or run hot water thru the tubing.

A electric heat gun will get it too hot all at once if not careful. Experiment with a small piece of tubing first.

Latest posts

Back