fuel line (tygon)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawlog1992

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So how long do y'all think tygon fuel line would last stored on the shelf. I am tired of buying it buy the foot, and always seeming to need more on Saturday evening!

The last of the yellow stuff that I bought,
was good for the 4~5 summers that I took to use it up.
Funny how quick it starts to stiffen, once it hits the fuel though.
But that was in ethanol blended fuel,
Don't recall seeing it in non alcohol usage, so not sure how it holds up
in "pure" gasoline.

For last couple of seasons, Local dealer has some unmarked gray stuff
that seems to be decent.
But I haven't seen what ethanol exposure does to it yet.
Haven't seen the packaging, (store was remodeled with less open view to stock area) so afraid I don't know the brand.

I use that stuff for my model airplanes (gas powered) if it has never been used, and has been out of the sunlight day in and day out. I don't see the shelf life being that detrimental. If it looks new and is still flexible
I would use it.

I think straight gas (non-ethanol) would help it last longer. I have used it with both types of gas. I think the ethanol tends to harden it faster. IMHO....

Thanks

Thanks, y'all. I probably will buy several feet next time i go by the saw shop and store it. Like I said, I always seem to need a little bit when the shop is closed.

How long do you think it is on the shelf before you buy it? It will last a while.:msp_smile:

I've got some 1/4" id yellow tygon I got for my racing karts that must be nearly 20 years old, and it's still just as flexible as when it was new.

Lots of different types of Tygon, this sounds like the one we all use:

Tygon® Fuel and Lubricant Tubing
Formulation F-4040-A

A consistent performer lot after lot, Tygon® Fuel and Lubricant Tubing is the most requested fuel and lubricant tubing for a variety of applications -- from small engine fuel lines to coolant transfer. Specifically designed to handle most fuels and industrial lubricants, Tygon® Fuel and Lubricant Tubing resists the swelling and hardening caused by hydrocarbon-based fluids. This significantly reduces the risk of failure due to cracking and leakage. Its minimum extractability safeguards the liquid or vapor being transferred against adulteration.

Extremely flexible (Shore A, 57), Tygon® Fuel and Lubricant Tubing simplifies installation, even in tight places. It is translucent yellow for positive identification and to allow easy flow monitoring. It is routinely used to handle gasoline, kerosene, heating oils, cutting compounds and glycol-based coolants.

Tygon is usually PVC, but they make all types. I use this for fuel line, it's extremely resistant to gas, ethanol, heat, and aging. Basically it will outlast you and your saw.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plastic-and-rubber-tubing/=jmvr4h

Choose "fuel resistant blue fluorosilicone"
It won't let me paste a direct link.

I'm a polymer chemist BTW so I know a thing or 2 about this.

Last edited:
Tygon is usually PVC, but they make all types. I use this for fuel line, it's extremely resistant to gas, ethanol, heat, and aging. Basically it will outlast you and your saw.

McMaster-Carr

Choose "fuel resistant blue fluorosilicone"
It won't let me paste a direct link.

I'm a polymer chemist BTW so I know a thing or 2 about this.

Way to go Coloradobum! Now any tips for the primer bulbs that cannot be bypassed on the string trimmers?

I also think most folks assume that it is real TYGON, just because it is the same color yellow. I hae found that the OREGON line is pure crap,
and costs half as much as the real Tygon.

Well, I fix a saw in the spring, and they bring it back because it is leaking. It is leaking because the Oregon line has shrunk and hardened,
and no longer has a tight fit. The problem with either Tygon or Oregon is you have to buy a big roll of it, but I will tell you that I will not buy anymore of the Oregon crap. I will talk to the reps later this month at the EXPO, but those guys rarely pass the message on to the
mothership, hopefully Oregon Engineer or his sidekick will read this and get back to us here. But I am small enough to know that the
comeback problem is due to the fuel line.

Well, I fix a saw in the spring, and they bring it back because it is leaking. It is leaking because the Oregon line has shrunk and hardened,
and no longer has a tight fit. The problem with either Tygon or Oregon is you have to buy a big roll of it, but I will tell you that I will not buy anymore of the Oregon crap. I will talk to the reps later this month at the EXPO, but those guys rarely pass the message on to the
mothership, hopefully Oregon Engineer or his sidekick will read this and get back to us here. But I am small enough to know that the
comeback problem is due to the fuel line.

Just wondering, because I have had the same problem with Tygon brand as well. The newer Oregon line is supposed to be resistent to 30% ethanol while the Tygon is supposed to be only good to 10%.

After that last fiasco of chainging lines in 50 of my own saws. I did do my own 4 month test involving both brands in vented jars of Ethonal fuel.

Just to help with clarity, Tygon is a brand name.

Oh heck, even I knew that! :laugh:

I think straight gas (non-ethanol) would help it last longer. I have used it with both types of gas. I think the ethanol tends to harden it faster. IMHO....
I was under the impression you could purchase types of Tygon fuel line the type dependent on the % of E it will withstand the unused self life (Kept in the dark) is at least 5 years

Latest posts

Back