fuel/oil caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingo

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Really not too fond of the new flip top fuel and oil caps on Stihl that I own. Always over fill oil tank especially and can't get oil cap seated unless oil is removed. Oil seaps out of tank even after two replacement caps.:D

Ditto on that. I always seem to overfill my oil tank, just a habit, and the cap is a pain to get back on. And you're right about the leaking. I noticed a pretty big puddle on my bench under my new 460. Too bad as everything else on the saw seems really nice.

Jim

Just had a problem yesterday with my 3 week old 260. Over filled and set it on the bench. Dumped out the oil faster than it would if you were using the saw. :deadhorse: Bad stihl, bad :deadhorse:

Begley Tree calls them leg oilers and I agree. Never a problem with the fuel cap, just the oil cap and the reason is they cannot be tightened on an over full tank. I know simple answer, dont overfill the tank but I only get two levels when I fill oil tanks, half and over flowing, it's a mental thing. Gimmie back my screw on lids Stihl!!!

It seams to me like all of stihls saws are very easy to overfill. It is just there before you know it. It is kinda hard to see down in the tank while you are filling since the handle is kinda in the way.

Yeah LEG LUBERS!

"Begley Tree calls them leg oilers and I agree..."

Someone coined the phrase "leg-lubers"!

I forgot who but that's the best I've heard.

A couple guys here told me to keep the seal clean and make sure that the seat isn't dirty either. It's a PITA to me but I haven't leaked since paying closer attention.

Personally, I liked the old school caps. It wasn't broke, why fix it?

I had the oil cap come off, liberally lubing my leg and I usually take care to make sure its seated properly, the next filling time after that the cap broke in two pieces, then, a new one cost me $17!!
:bang:

I take it this is one of the features that makes Stihl number 1 in the world...

:monkey: :monkey:

yeah, I hate the flip up caps. Question: who doesn't carry a saw wrench in their back pocket, in their chaps pocket, on the handlebar, or have it somewhere close when cutting, regardless of cap type? thats one thing I guess underbrushing taught me, you never know when you'll throw a chain, and sometimes it was a long walk back to get a wrench. anytime I'm cutting I have a saw wrench and file close. habit I guess. makes the toolless caps a moot point. I may just be in the minority though, as stihl had to redesign their saws to accomodate those who go out without a saw wrench.

I wonder how many loggers carry a saw, gas/oil, file, wedges, tape, but no wrench because they have flip caps? I just can't see that. having your saw wrench with you is nearly as improtant as having your saw with you, imo.
-Ralph

yeah, I hate the flip up caps. Question: who doesn't carry a saw wrench in their back pocket, in their chaps pocket, on the handlebar, or have it somewhere close when cutting, regardless of cap type? thats one thing I guess underbrushing taught me, you never know when you'll throw a chain, and sometimes it was a long walk back to get a wrench. anytime I'm cutting I have a saw wrench and file close. habit I guess. makes the toolless caps a moot point. I may just be in the minority though, as stihl had to redesign their saws to accomodate those who go out without a saw wrench.

I wonder how many loggers carry a saw, gas/oil, file, wedges, tape, but no wrench because they have flip caps? I just can't see that. having your saw wrench with you is nearly as improtant as having your saw with you, imo.
-Ralph

Whenever im logging i wear a equipment belt, which has marking pen (for marking logs) first-aid pack, round file, scrench, measure tape along with 2 hooks...

So, i have always scrench and file on hand when i need to adjust chain, file it or do something else...

No problems......yet.
I haven't really made up my mind either way on them. So far they are nice, but a couple years down the road.......who knows?
I'm pretty sure they cost more to replace than a regular cap.

Ed

Y'all just a bunch of "old dogs.."

I don't have anywhere near the experience you all do, but I don't have the overfill habit either. Think you all can manage to learn a new trick?

Don't overfill your oil reservoir. I've got a flip cap, and I don't overfill. No problems. (knock on wood)

Sorry to be so petulant, but y'all asked for it...whinin' & bellyachin'...next thing you'll all want is someone to pre-measure your oil for you....sheesh;)

Last edited:
Why learn a new trick when the old trick worked just fine?

What I wonder is why do you need a scrench for the old caps? If put on snug by hand, they come off by hand. Now, what I have seen is that when a scrench is used you must continue using it cause you've mashed the gasket.

Latest posts

Back