fuel/oil caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have anywhere near the experience you all do
. Good point. Try to understand why the ones that have experience do whine.

but I don't have the overfill habit either.

Overfill is very easy. There is no metering valve on most cans and the view in the tank is not the best either.

Think you all can manage to learn a new trick?

Of course, no problem at all, but only if makes my life easier. have not seen that with those caps, though.

Sorry to be so petulant, but y'all asked for it...whinin' & bellyachin'...next thing you'll all want is someone to pre-measure your oil for you....sheesh;)

Progress can only be made by people who care about making things better. That's why I whine about those caps :laugh: :laugh:

Why learn a new trick when the old trick worked just fine?

What I wonder is why do you need a scrench for the old caps? If put on snug by hand, they come off by hand. Now, what I have seen is that when a scrench is used you must continue using it cause you've mashed the gasket.

I wonder the same. I have been using saws for over 30 years, some basket cases used, some new and I never had to use a scrench on the caps for any of them. Also never had one come off during use.

Harry K

I don't have anywhere near the experience you all do, but I don't have the overfill habit either. Think you all can manage to learn a new trick?

Don't overfill your oil reservoir. I've got a flip cap, and I don't overfill. No problems. (knock on wood)

Sorry to be so petulant, but y'all asked for it...whinin' & bellyachin'...next thing you'll all want is someone to pre-measure your oil for you....sheesh;)

Why thank you, thank you, thank you. I never thought of that!

Just one little problem. How do you fill your tank but not overfill it? Almost impossible to see in there and and the difference between 'full' and 'flood' is about 1 ounce.

Harry K

I kinda knew I'd get a response on that one...

I like the flip caps. I just turn the saw on it's side, and carefully fill it up. I guess my saw isn't totally "filled", but that's okay by me. Rather not spill...not in a hurry....

I'm just careful to keep debris out of both chambers.

Sure, I understand experience counts for an awful lot around here, (as well it should) and I do far, far more reading (=listening) than I do writing (=talking), but c'mon people. We can all take the necessary time to do simple tasks right.

Sorry if that upsets some of you, but in reality, I'm just not very sympatheic towards folks who overfill their saws again and again and again and then whine about poor design.

If I did that, several "old saws" that I work with would look at me incredulously, and shake their heads. They might not call me an idiot but they'd certainly think it. No offense intended towards any of you, but...

Last edited:
I don't have anywhere near the experience you all do, but I don't have the overfill habit either. Think you all can manage to learn a new trick?

Don't overfill your oil reservoir. I've got a flip cap, and I don't overfill. No problems. (knock on wood)

:laugh: You just had to know you were going to take a beating for that. If you're fueling and oiling ten or fifteen times a day you're gonna eventually spill something...I don't care how careful you are. If you're just cutting a bit of firewood maybe you can afford the extra time to be careful. The new caps are a PITA,no argument there,but its what we have to work with until Stihl comes up with something better. Also,that wasn't whining you read in the other posts...it was "descriptive comments"...theres a difference.;)

But I like 'em... I think...

At least I used to. I too have noticed that the oil tank only seems to be either partially filled or overfilled, never just right, so overfilling is therefore my standard operation procedure. But still I haven't had a problem with the new caps, they have always been easy to shut and not a drop of oil leaks out.

Until last Sunday. I filled the saw up with gas and oil, and for the first time since I bought the saw I managed to not overfill it. I'll repeat that: I did not overfill it! :rock:

I put the cap back and put the saw on the workbench and left it for a while, and when I returned some 10 minutes later and picked the saw up it was bathing in bar oil, and so was the bench, the floor beneath, and some of my tools on the bench.

I put the saw down on the bench again, on it's side to prevent more oil from leaking out, and leaned forward to see if there were anything expensive on the bench needing immediate attention. Since I'm a healthy young man with a healthy appetite the first thing that usually comes forward when I lean forward is my cute little tummy, which means that all of the oil that previously was underneath the saw and on the bench now got transferred to the front of my sweater. But OK, experience should be tough end expensive to acquire.

Anyhow, now the weird part comes: Although I didn't overfill the oil tank I had to spend a good 10 minutes or so trying to get the cap back properly in place. Since so much oil was gone it was no way near overfilled, and I wiped both the cap and the seating totally oil-free (using an old sweater I didn't have better use for...) but it just wouldn't fit. :angry2:

And then suddenly, pop - there it was, right in place. And I still don't know why it decided that it suddenly was time to obey me.

So what I actually wanted to say is, that if I were making my living on using my saw, filling it up with gas and oil (did someone mention 15 times a day?), and this happened frequently, not in the warm cozy shed but in the forest (where it's cold and windy), then I would have appreciated if this feature was optional upon purchase, or I could understand someone considering saws of another brand just because of this.

But since I'm a homeowner who does this just for fun I think they're pretty clever little thingys... ;)

Try filling you oil on various saws hundreds of times in all conditions and temps and things going on and see if you ever don't quite see/judge it right and fill it completely. In real life it occasionally happens to even the most careful people if they do it enough. Not whining, and in fact the pre-measuring crack is opposite of the sentiment expressed by the posters in not wanting Sithl to decide for them what kind of caps they have. If I could have found a stern looking icon, I would have inserted it here.

One a different note, on some saws you can tip them if fill and they will burp a bubble or two.

Last edited:
I always try to overfill my oil and gas..

Thats what I say when someone is standing there watching me.. when I actually do over run one.. I say"I do that in case any saw dust got in when I removed the cap.It will float out" even though they just witnessed me use the paintbrush around both caps prior.
Be surprised how many folks will say good I dead. heck gas is 2.25 a gallon I hate to waste any of it.
I just wish they would make them like the old S-10. big enough you could get a hand on to turn it.

Thats what I say when someone is standing there watching me.. when I actually do over run one.. I say"I do that in case any saw dust got in when I removed the cap.It will float out" even though they just witnessed me use the paintbrush around both caps prior.
Be surprised how many folks will say good I dead. heck gas is 2.25 a gallon I hate to waste any of it.
I just wish they would make them like the old S-10. big enough you could get a hand on to turn it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"It's for debris removal, don't you know? Shucks, I AM A PROFESSIONAL!" :laugh:

Dolmar caps don't need tools and I've never had one leak :ices_rofl:

Sorry boys...Had to say it.

As for a saw wrench...you should always have one handy. I keep an extra one next to my bed "just in case".

Multi-tools are the greates invention in the world for us outdoors guys. I carry a Gerber multi-tool with me at all times. I had it on with my tuxedo at my sister's wedding. Just so happens that one of the metal hooks on her dress was messed up....SNAP....Gerber to the rescue! Also works great for removing teeth and extracting information. Ha

I've had both caps pop off at one time or another after refilling thinking they were on correctly. It seems like the Stihl holds less oil than the husky or it just seems to fill faster. (MS200T) I try to be careful when I fill the saw. If you cross thread the screw on caps, they leak too, so both designs are not fool proof. In dealing with chainsaws, attention to minor details is important and sometimes we get caught trying to be in a hurry. On another subject, what happens if you accidentally slip a little bar oil into the fuel reservoir? Has anyone ever done this besides me? I caught myself just as it was entering the tank and not much got in. $17 for a replacement cap? that's just plain highway robbery!

Sorry boys...Had to say it.

As for a saw wrench...you should always have one handy. I keep an extra one next to my bed "just in case".

Multi-tools are the greates invention in the world for us outdoors guys. I carry a Gerber multi-tool with me at all times. I had it on with my tuxedo at my sister's wedding. Just so happens that one of the metal hooks on her dress was messed up....SNAP....Gerber to the rescue! Also works great for removing teeth and extracting information. Ha

My god...we really are brothers...I got my scrench straight blade sharpened pretty sharp

I keep spare coils in the bathroom

I really like the new caps myself. No need to carry a scrench to the wood pile. Just don't overfill that oil tank and make a mess out of your pretty saw:heart: :biggrinbounce2:

What if you have to adjust the bar?

I don't understand the Stihl theory here.
Was a screw on cap a problem for anybody?

I mean, if ever there were a case of if it aint broke..... :deadhorse:

skrew or flip

i like the flips on my stihl ms 260 pro. never overfilled use a slow ppstream to fill the oil tank, that way it do not overfill:hmm3grin2orange:. i used my bosses stihl ms 360 and it puked oil all over my new chaps because of the damed:deadhorse: flip oil cap . the old skrew caps rule. as for scrench i sewed a baileys wedge pouch on my chaps that way i got me scrench.:blob2: :blob2:

My 7900 gas cap sometimes weeps slightly (from new), in spite of my best efforts. In fact it was weeping tonight even though I pulled it off and blew off the cap with air.

Haven't tried a new one yet, but will when I get around to it. I always keep spare fuel caps for all my saws in my part box.

Last edited:
I've had both caps pop off at one time or another after refilling thinking they were on correctly. It seems like the Stihl holds less oil than the husky or it just seems to fill faster. (MS200T) I try to be careful when I fill the saw. If you cross thread the screw on caps, they leak too, so both designs are not fool proof.

Ya know, if ya just place the cap in position and it twist it counterclockwise till it settles in the thread, ya won't cross thread the cap. And you can do it without looking at what you're doing. Try that with the new caps.

I've had both caps pop off at one time or another after refilling thinking they were on correctly. It seems like the Stihl holds less oil than the husky or it just seems to fill faster. (MS200T) I try to be careful when I fill the saw. If you cross thread the screw on caps, they leak too, so both designs are not fool proof. In dealing with chainsaws, attention to minor details is important and sometimes we get caught trying to be in a hurry. On another subject, what happens if you accidentally slip a little bar oil into the fuel reservoir? Has anyone ever done this besides me? I caught myself just as it was entering the tank and not much got in. $17 for a replacement cap? that's just plain highway robbery!

You is certain-ly not alone. I just chalk it up to my senility upgrade:monkey:

I've been lucky enough to not run it that way, so no biggie.

I have bathed my leg in bar oil a few times. :censored: I have noticed that these incidents occured when I was not all there - daydreaming about the time I dropped my pencil in class to see....., or some such dream. Ahhhhh :help:

I have since made a mark on the top of the cap so to line it up correctly. There is a notch to line it up, but I can see my mark easier. I then very deliberately push and turn. In my experience it doesn't seem to matter if I overfill it or not. When I push down on the cap excess oil comes out.

I do however, like the old caps better.

I've noticed that it will force oil out of the cap even when you haven made oil run out of the tank. If you get it just up to the lip that extra junk they added to the cap forces it out.

I also noticed that they like to get dirt trapped in them.

Back