fuel oil mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need help too....I just realized a couple days ago that my container that I use for mix isnt a gallon, its one gallon six ounces!!!! Seriously, who in their right mind would make a container one gallon six ounce!!!!!! So, I have been mixing it for years at what I thought was 50:1, and now I find out that this isnt true. How lean have I been running my saws and should I expect them to seize in the near future? What type of damage can I expect if I tear into them. If they do seize at anytime in the future, I will be contacting the manufacturer of the container and will be expecting a full refund for all equipment that has ever used mix from that container. When a person buys a gallon container, they expect it to be a gallon, not a gallon six ounces.

I have the same containers and i don't know why they do it. I took mine and remarked it and run around 47:1 for extra piece of mind. You should be o.k. with the extra 6oz with good oil in it.

I need help too....I just realized a couple days ago that my container that I use for mix isnt a gallon, its one gallon six ounces!!!! Seriously, who in their right mind would make a container one gallon six ounce!!!!!! So, I have been mixing it for years at what I thought was 50:1, and now I find out that this isnt true. How lean have I been running my saws and should I expect them to seize in the near future? What type of damage can I expect if I tear into them. If they do seize at anytime in the future, I will be contacting the manufacturer of the container and will be expecting a full refund for all equipment that has ever used mix from that container. When a person buys a gallon container, they expect it to be a gallon, not a gallon six ounces.

That's interesting, all of my plastic gas cans have a line marking their nominal capacity. There is a little extra room at the top, which I presume helps minimize leakage if the container isn't perfectly level. That said, I never trust the line either, as sometimes the walls are a little bowed out or sucked in, depending on whether it was warm or cool when I emptied it, so I use the gas station pump to measure the gas. The room at the top is good, gives a little slosh for remixing if I don't use it immediately.

Pumps are supposedly inspected for accuracy at regular intervals, and while a gas pump may have some error, I think it's highly unlikely to dispense MORE than it says. If you're filling your gallon mix container from a larger can it may be best to keep an eye on the nominal capacity mark and stop a bit shy of it. One should not expect Bureau of Standards accuracy from a blow-molded container, and I would expect a manufacturer faced with a lawsuit over ruined 2-cycle equipment to argue that their product is intended to store and transport gasoline, that the capacity line is provided as a convenience only, and that precise metering for critical applications is not an intended use.

Jack

I have the same containers and i don't know why they do it. I took mine and remarked it and run around 47:1 for extra piece of mind. You should be o.k. with the extra 6oz with good oil in it.

That's interesting, all of my plastic gas cans have a line marking their nominal capacity. There is a little extra room at the top, which I presume helps minimize leakage if the container isn't perfectly level. That said, I never trust the line either, as sometimes the walls are a little bowed out or sucked in, depending on whether it was warm or cool when I emptied it, so I use the gas station pump to measure the gas. The room at the top is good, gives a little slosh for remixing if I don't use it immediately.

Pumps are supposedly inspected for accuracy at regular intervals, and while a gas pump may have some error, I think it's highly unlikely to dispense MORE than it says. If you're filling your gallon mix container from a larger can it may be best to keep an eye on the nominal capacity mark and stop a bit shy of it. One should not expect Bureau of Standards accuracy from a blow-molded container, and I would expect a manufacturer faced with a lawsuit over ruined 2-cycle equipment to argue that their product is intended to store and transport gasoline, that the capacity line is provided as a convenience only, and that precise metering for critical applications is not an intended use.

Jack

Ummm, guys I was being sarcastic. I actually do have that container and did just realize it a few days ago. Other than that, I was joking. I just fill the container until its near where the plastic molding starts going back in to form a handle and call it good. I have never even checked to see where the full line is. I figure with a good oil and good gas I am good to go.

Regarding lowes pro mix oil.

Well i was at lowes today and looked at the bottle in question and as i suspected it has not been tested by JASO or ISO or anyone at all so who knows how good the quality is and what you are getting in the bottle. I would for sure not use it now. It would be like running engine oil in your new $150,000 diesel truck without any SAE testing certification on the oil bottle. I do remember back in 2005 that Lowes was selling Husqvarna XP oil and then they changed to this stuff instead.

Latest posts

Back