Fuel Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie 2012

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know everyone is sick of arguing on What type of Gas and Oil to run in their saws but I was hoping to get some opinions from some of the fine gentlemen on this site for the below fuel I found near my office.

http://store.hyperfuels.com/Aero-93--5-Gal_p_355.html

Cant find any specs on it but it looks to be Ethonal and Alcohol free Unleaded 93 Octane gas.
I guess I could email them for specs but it looks pretty decent?

I know it's easier/cheaper to go fill up at a gas station but it will take me an entire year to run through this 5 gallon jug and I like to have the Piece of mind mixing my own gas with the Motul 710 that I bought.

If it takes you too long to use the gas, then dont buy it. After about 3 months your gas quality will start to go down. You can tell because your saw smokes more. I use stihl ultra with ethanol free 90 octane. Works great. You can also buy premixed quart or half gallon cans from some places as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure it would work, its 4 cycle fuel. Not sure if you could mix it.Try stihl motomix or look up premixed 2 cycle fuels if the other stuff does not work.

Canned fuel works good for occasional users. I've only tried motomix, and personally, I can't stand the smell. I'll have to try trufuel next time.

Canned fuel works good for occasional users. I've only tried motomix, and personally, I can't stand the smell. I'll have to try trufuel next time.

Ive tried many different fuels, they all have their own smells. What im using now smells like cotton candy, believe it ir not.

Find a local gas station that sells ethanol-free.gas. I buy it 5 gallons at a time. Mix 2.5 for my 2 stroke equipment and use the rest for the lawnmower, Roto-tiller etc. Much cheaper this way and it's just better gas for all small engines. All the canned fuel I've seen is just ridiculously expensive.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Do you mean smell of fuel itself or when it burns?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
I use Trufuel @ $5 a can for storing saws and to keep on hand for trimmer and blower if run out of mixed. I only mix a gallon or 2 at a time in summer at time.

If it takes you too long to use the gas, then dont buy it. After about 3 months your gas quality will start to go down. You can tell because your saw smokes more. I use stihl ultra with ethanol free 90 octane. Works great. You can also buy premixed quart or half gallon cans from some places as well.

Why would the saw smoke more?

The seven individual, independent voices in my head have told me time and time again, I'm one of the finest gentlemen they've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Having said that and now having qualified myself, I can and will say this. You speak to 10 people about fuel and oil and what they run in their saws, and chances are, you'll get 10 totally different answers.

Hell, some guys re-tune their saws for each day of the week. Some see a dark cloud in the sky, and comes their screwdriver. I ran ethanol-laced gas for years and years, and never had a single problem. And, that was with using less than 1st class, top shelf, stellar oil.

For the last couple of years, I've been using 40:1 canned fuel. We now have a gas station that sells 87 octane E-Free gas. As soon as my canned fuel is used up, I'll be going to back to mixing up my own.

Doesn't make sense to me why lower octane would cause smoking...

That may not be the reason. When gas sits the octane level does decrease, but in my case when gas sits for longer the saw smokes more. There may or may not be a connection.

Seems to me the best thing to do, regardless of type of gas, is not let any engine sit for long periods without running them. I try to start and run everything about once a month and so far so good. Most problems seem to happen after sitting for long periods.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Doesn't make sense to me why lower octane would cause smoking...
I'm not sure that the octane actually goes down and that is oversimplification anyway considering the different ways of measuring petrol "octane" because the gas is a complex organic compound which has a variety of complex additives any settling or decomposition ( caused by age heat, light etc) will leave less combustible liquids in the mix. If they don't burn properly anymore you get smoke. (And if it's bad enough you can smell that it's gone bad. )

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Haw Haw Haw! Octane goes up as less volitile concentrates as it evpaorates, unless you have corn-fed. Then the ethanol evaporates as it brings water into the fuel. what is water octane?

Not sure what $#!t fuel producers are substituting into "E-free" now , it used too be MBTE. I'll stick with AV gas.

If you want to store mix, by far the best is 100LL AV gas. Mixed with a cocktail or left in a can. Store sealed in metal, out of light, and heat.

Haw haw haw? You mean RON MON and AKI? And as the water goes up as the methanol evaporates, the AKI may go up slightly. Not going to do the rings any good long term though. Does your avgas have the same lead additives ours does? Lead does seem to be good for small engines

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Do you mean smell of fuel itself or when it burns?

I mean the smell from the exhaust. The fuel itself smells terrible also, but I only noticed that when I took a whiff intentionally (to see what it smelled like, not recreationally ;)). The smell from the exhaust is borderline nauseating for me.

Latest posts

Back