Fuel question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that must be a sunoco.

It's hell having choices.

WTF_Gasoline.jpg

i remeber those in michigan when i lived there.still weird.

Can't you buy something that boosts octane at the auto parts stores?

Can't you buy something that boosts octane at the auto parts stores?

Here's post on the Prestone website.

Q. I'm constantly hearing about octane booster products. You say 0 to 60® can boost my octane by up to 10 points. What's a point and how does it relate to my car's performance?
A. The term "points" is commonly used in the automotive industry when referring to the octane increase a product offers. This is different from the figures shown at your local gas pump, where the octane "rating" of a gasoline is measured in "numbers". This can sometimes create confusion as to how "points" translate to "numbers". The following calculation can be used to translate points to numbers:

1 octane point = 0.1 octane number

Increasing the octane of gasoline has several positive effects on automobile performance. A higher octane gasoline will allow a car to run smoother by reducing knocks and pings, which ultimately restores lost performance.

An example of this might be:

Common regular unleaded gasoline is rated at 87 octane at the gas pump. If you treat that gasoline with an octane enhancement product that claims a 5 "point" increase, then the end result will be a gasoline that has an 87.5 octane rating. In this example, the octane enhancement product provided 5 "points", which is equal to 0.5 octane numbers.

Prestone® 0 to 60® Booster provides 10 points of octane increase, which will increase the octane of regular unleaded gasoline by a full number. In this case, an 87 octane rated fuel would go to 88 after treatment with Prestone® 0 to 60® Booster.

I have never used the stuff and don't know what it costs. I'd just dump the mix in my truck and get some new mix.

Back