Full skip chain???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, ask about a 20" bar on an ms290, and most on here will say its too much for a 290.

I have a 290 with a 20" running .325 full skip. In hardwood bigger than 15" it cuts better than full comp on that saw. Results should be similar with 3/8. Haven't tried it, but semi-skip should work fine too.

If I was going to run a 290 and if it was going to have a 20" bar I would run full skip!

Wouldn't removing half the cutters leave only one side (left or right) cutters? Good for curved trees i guess.;)

Hopefully it wasn't every second cutter that was removed! :D

Hah hah gents. Every second pair of cutters :)

27042009212.jpg

Sharpen half as many teeth twice as often and it's real rough in a bore cut. I run full comp for hardwood logging. It does take less power to run so in some cases maybe it would be better. Cut faster, I've never seen anybody with a skip tooth race chain.

I ran a half skip on my stock 290 once. It cut good but it seems like the saw had a hard time pulling it. I don't think I have had anything but full skip on my 372XP with 38" bar, ever. Man that thing can cut some wood. :D

Chris

I ran a half skip on my stock 290 once. It cut good but it seems like the saw had a hard time pulling it. I don't think I have had anything but full skip on my 372XP with 38" bar, ever. Man that thing can cut some wood. :D

Chris

That seems like an awful lot of bar for a 372

That seems like an awful lot of bar for a 372

It has actually been a great fit for that saw. With the skip chain it cuts quick and the saw does not seem to be laboring to pull the chain, no matter how big a log. The 36" on my 3120XP seems too small, but that thing sure burns through the wood. It has a ripping chain, where the previous owner cut every other set of cutters off a full comp, but left the guide teeth in place. I got a skip chain for that also, but still use the ripping chain also.

Chris

It has actually been a great fit for that saw. With the skip chain it cuts quick and the saw does not seem to be laboring to pull the chain, no matter how big a log. The 36" on my 3120XP seems too small, but that thing sure burns through the wood. It has a ripping chain, where the previous owner cut every other set of cutters off a full comp, but left the guide teeth in place. I got a skip chain for that also, but still use the ripping chain also.

Chris

Got some vids of that 372/38?

Nah, I never videoed it. I'll have to see what I have around to cut up. I think have some old dried hardwood out there in the field. That'll give it a run for its money. I'll have to see what the chain looks like on it tomorrow.
Saw been sitting in the shed since I gave up tree work.

Chris

Back