Fungi what to do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruzer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So i have a bunch of rounds that were cut earlier this year (6months old) that are in a shaded area of my my yard that are growing fungi, it's white. This august has been very wet here so the wood has been wet on and off a bunch. I don't want to loose this wood to fungi. How do i kill it or get rid of it. I haven't even split this stuff yet and i don't want the wood to be shot by the time i burn it next year.

Stew

Last edited:
So i have a bunch of rounds that were cut earlier this year (6months old) that are in a shaded area of my my yard that are growing fungi, it's white. This august has been very wet here so the wood has been wet on and off a bunch. I don't want to loose this wood to fungi. How do i kill it or get rid of it. I haven't even split this stuff yet and i don't want to be shot by the time i burn it next year.

Stew

I won't be shot. Don't worry about a little fungus.

If it is growing on the bark, it will be ok for a few years. The sap wood will rot out before the heart wood will, but that is normal too. I see alot of old stumps in the woods with fungi growing on it, the heart wood is still solid.

If it is growing on the bark, it will be ok for a few years. The sap wood will rot out before the heart wood will, but that is normal too. I see alot of old stumps in the woods with fungi growing on it, the heart wood is still solid.

Its not on the bark, its on the ends of the rounds. I'm thinking the best thing to do is to get it out of the shade and cover it with a tarp to keep it from getting any more water on it for the rest of the year. moving rounds...just what i like to do.

Stew

Its not on the bark, its on the ends of the rounds. I'm thinking the best thing to do is to get it out of the shade and cover it with a tarp to keep it from getting any more water on it for the rest of the year. moving rounds...just what i like to do.

Stew

dont cover it completely, let air flow through. No water, lots of air and sun would be optimum.

You probably knew that though.:cheers:

I can't add more than has already been offered. It sounds like they are wicking the moisture out of the ground. The fungus lives happily in a moist shaded area on wood. They will need some sun and airflow to finish drying out by the time you are ready for it.

A few minutes to put something under them to keep them off the ground makes a big difference. Anything that will allow airflow under the stack and keep the ground moisture from reaching them. Paallets work very well for me. I have some old pipe in one spot that "next wood' gets stacked on. It's close to the steps where I can grap a piece or two as I come in. I've seen it stacked on cinder block corragated tin, 2x4's landscaping timbers even 'junk' wood turned lengthways to minimize the contact area.

Pretty much what i figured i had to do. It is off the ground on pallets but it's in a shady spot that probably doesn't dry very good. I will plan some time to move it to the sunny area over the next week or so.....just one more fun thing to do.

Stew

Just remember the part of the fungi you see is only the mature fruiting stage of the fungus, the reproduction stage. The fungus lives inside the wood and those little white strands, the mycelium, that you see when the wood is split is the real wood digest-er.

It's kind of like an apple tree that is putting roots into a septic line.....and you pull off the apples to limit damage to the line.:)

To stop the fungus the wood needs to be dry. I suggest splitting right away and stacking in loose stacks and keeping it covered as has been discussed.

Thanks for the info TreeCo, that is something that I didnt know. Someone once told me that you can kill the fungus with a strong solution of bleach water sprayed on the wood. Will that kill it?

Latest posts

Back