funny wood call

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I had a guy call me and want some wood. He told me he bought some that wouldn;t burn from someone else. Here is the kicker he wants me to haul the other wood off and get rid of it. I'm dropping off a 13 of a cord and picking a 1/3 up. I know will have a customer for life by delivering him good wood. He said he has the same problem every year. I have never picked up a stack before. New to me.

Scott

I had a guy call me and want some wood. He told me he bought some that wouldn;t burn from someone else. Here is the kicker he wants me to haul the other wood off and get rid of it. I'm dropping off a 13 of a cord and picking a 1/3 up. I know will have a customer for life by delivering him good wood. He said he has the same problem every year. I have never picked up a stack before. New to me.

Scott

Heck ya, Id trade green for seasoned.....I hope that isnt what he is thinkin.

Is it some kind of space problem that he can't sit on the wood for a year to let it season? Seems kind of weird to give wood to a woodseller unless he just can't let it sit.

Scott

You can let the wood you pick up season and sell it back to him next year ;)

try to figure out what kind of wood it is, and see if there is someone that wants green, split wood to season at their own house for cheaper than seasoned. You might be able to load once, unload once.

Not trying to side track much, but what the heck are these people doing that they cant burn wood?
I have no problem getting my fireplace started. granted green wood doesn't burn well and will go out if I load it up with too many large rounds, but small rounds or split with a few months of season will run fine.

My concern would be he may just have no idea what he is doing and there for be very problematic to whom ever he is in contact with. Other firewood may be well seasoned also and other seller got tired of messing with him. Just sheer speculation on my part but if it's to good to be true it usually is. Good luck to ya though, may work out very well for you.

1/3rd of a cord means one of two things:

It's for ambience for romance or a party, or it's just an emergency backup.

Either case, the people just want to light it and having dancing flames and walk away, not futz around, and they don't want extra wood hanging around for no reason.

I'd investigate into his problem, if its green wood I'd ask him if he just wants to store it for next year instead of paying double for a single amount of wood.
It might gain you a repeat customer for years to come.

If it is lack of knowledge using his stove/fireplace, the offer him kind words of advice and show him what it is he is doing wrong.

Or you could just drop off your load and pick his up and wonder if he is tellin all his neighbors that your wood isn't any better than the last load he bought.

Just my opinion..wich I know is like certain body parts and everyone has one..in some cases maybe two.

funny calls

I had a call today the was funny and aggravating at the same time. I sell about Five cord of wood a year . I do it mainly to put a few $ in my pocket a year .Today I made tow deliveries today loaded up the dump trailer with one full cord and the pick up with a half cord the full cord customer was happy as can be . then foo to the half cord delivery , every thing seemed good they asked what type of wood kind of wood it was oak ,ash,and maple, seasoned for approximately two years .I just got trailer saws and truck put away fro the night . the phone rings it was the man I delivered the half cord says the wood will not burn says it is not seasoned . My reply was I am sorry it is well seasoned . I asked him how is he trying to start the fire , he said he threw in a started log and a few chunks of wood will not burn . I said try to use a few pieces of the little peaces to get it going then gradually go put bigger chunks on the fire . I also said i will come pick up the wood if he is not satisfied I do not want a unhappy customer. he said no he will keep it I . then he said no he will keep it . I have a felling that the man had no clue what he was doing .

When I got there the guy had moved the wood. He decided to keep it and let it dry out. It was some half rotted stuff that felt like it was stored in water. Very wet and heavy. He was impressed with what I brought him and started a fire while I was doing the delivery. The neighbor came over and showed me his wood pile. He had been delivered some crappy looking wood also. Both guys will be customers next year. They really liked the fact that the wood was kept under shed for a year.

Scott

There's a lot of people who don't know how to light a fire.

A guy at work previously worked for a tree service and tells all kinds of stories about dealing with the public.

One that comes to mind is a customer who hired them to take down a rather large oak that was too close to there house. He said they got paid REALLY well to do it and the customer wanted everything hauled away.

Winter comes and you guessed it, they sold him his own wood back.

Back