FYI - Northern Chainsaw Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dok---nope--no one rail on ya--the way we all learn--but i knew off these years ago--used to sell chainsaws--just never bought one till computeruser started this thread---woooowza----and the mods--guys on this board always thinking---

I'm wondering two things- how many of these Northern has sold the past month and how many sales has HF lost? I bet this one forum has been responsible for a a lot of grinders being sold at Northern. Someone there is probably scratching their noggins!

Are the washers/spacers still available? I need to catch up with this thread today.
Brad

I'm wondering two things- how many of these Northern has sold the past month and how many sales has HF lost? I bet this one forum has been responsible for a a lot of grinders being sold at Northern. Someone there is probably scratching their noggins!

thanks to computeruser----- A LOT---never could get a complete count on the one thread someone posted--but im very glad comp posted this---

Any rule against ordering the SS washers first and then the grinder at a later date? I know they might discontinue the sale, but I guess I better get on the bandwagon. Can I get my order in?

Not a late bloomer here, just took this long to save my quarters.

My sharpener didnt come with any papers....witch that suck. I guess I dont know what angles to go with, 3/8 STIHL chain full chisel (I CANT REMEMBER IF ITS RM OR RS) its not the rounded edge chain. I used the wheel at 60 and the chain bed at 35 and 0 deg bed tillt. IT cuts very well is that close???

Thanks again.

Jack

Go to the Oregon site and download the manual for the 511. It's all there. And when you need parts or new wheels, get them from Oregon. It's the only polite thing to do.

Any rule against ordering the SS washers first and then the grinder at a later date? I know they might discontinue the sale, but I guess I better get on the bandwagon. Can I get my order in?

Not a late bloomer here, just took this long to save my quarters.
Definitely not allowed. No, wait, I just remembered, there ain't no stinkin' rules around here.

I sharpened a few chains prior to installing the shim and spring and I've done a couple more chains since the installation. There is a noticeable difference in how easily the base rotates and there is less play in the base. I think this was a great example of collaboration (and mechanical insight) here on AS!

I've been mic'ing some of the teeth after grinding, and there seems to be about 0.010" variation in length. I'll try to get some data up on here with more precise numbers: mean and standard deviation.

UPS just brought mine and it arrived in good shape, no broken wheels or missing parts. As soon as the shim and springs get here, I'm in business!

Well Im a little late to the party on this on biu I ordered My grinder tonight. Hope its not back ordered. Who Do I contact to get the shims for the grinder.
jason

Well Im a little late to the party on this on biu I ordered My grinder tonight. Hope its not back ordered. Who Do I contact to get the shims for the grinder.
jason

Give Stihl 041S a shout. The price is about $20.00, give or take a few bucks.

Hey Rob, I don't need a cut off of this! ;)

I wouldn't wait for them. It works just fine without. Just do the little tuneup cleanup tips posted.

Good post. I used mine before the shim & washer were installed. Take a little care when switching from one side to the other. You may have to adjust the depth screw for the back of the cutter a little to keep the teeth even.

My sharpener didnt come with any papers....witch that suck. I guess I dont know what angles to go with, 3/8 STIHL chain full chisel (I CANT REMEMBER IF ITS RM OR RS) its not the rounded edge chain. I used the wheel at 60 and the chain bed at 35 and 0 deg bed tillt. IT cuts very well is that close???

Thanks again.

Jack

You can get the Northern Tool manual here:
http://www.northerntool.com/downloads/manuals/193020.pdf

TAWilson is right, the Oregon manual has a lot more info in it. Thanks for the heads-up on that!

Brad

Latest posts

Back