FYI - Northern Chainsaw Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DOLMARatOs said:
I have an older 511A / EFCO grinder that runs both forward and backward. I'll pull it apart and see if there is a difference.

could you post a wiring diagram when you do and also see if there is a number on the switch..

THX

04ultra said:
could you post a wiring diagram when you do and also see if there is a number on the switch..

THX

Steve, I'm going to go to Grainger tomorrow and match up a DPDT switch that will fit in the existing hole. Wiring will be easy, but i want to have the switch in had before offering advice on the wiring part....lol

I have mine so close to my face

I installed all the shields. They do not block anything from view when you have it mounted high like I do mine. Photos in this thread a page or so back.

dolmar--well be waiting--thanks--hope to be able to reverse it----thats how the new maxx grinder on ebay being sold works---for-------300.00-------!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!----oooo--i like mine --has the 10 degree angle base for crlton chisel--woohooo--didnt know if it would---ahhhhhhhhhh

olyman said:
dolmar--well be waiting--thanks--hope to be able to reverse it----thats how the new maxx grinder on ebay being sold works---for-------300.00-------!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!----oooo--i like mine --has the 10 degree angle base for crlton chisel--woohooo--didnt know if it would---ahhhhhhhhhh
Olyman,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, perhaps you are related to`````````` Talon ???????????:yoyo: :biggrinbounce2: :popcorn::D

How does this grinder shape up to the Maxx grinder. Anyone have experience with both of them, or with the Maxx. I,ve thought a lot about the Maxx but that is a lot of money. Jim

The next boat from China has arrived!

I waited around and ordered one after they were out of stock.:( The website gave a notice that it would be 30 days before they would get more in. Then today, I got an e-mail that it had been shipped. :clap: Here I was kind of bummed that it was going to be a month, and I might get it before Christmas. Thanks for all the feedback on this grinder. I had looked at it in the catalog, but would not have paid $229. With all the positive comments, it sounds like it will be well worth $99, though. Now I can't wait to tear into it with Butch's suggestions to improve the fit and finish.

urbicide--dont frequent enough to know talon---but--this grinder will do what ever you want it toooo--used to sell chainsaws--and know of grind angles--and this has them--hopefully dolmar and freaking can get the switch figured out---ya--lot of money for the maxx---and steve--if the motor is brushless--should be able to be run clock or counter clock--no brushes to grind off----

Freakingstang said:
Steve, I'm going to go to Grainger tomorrow and match up a DPDT switch that will fit in the existing hole. Wiring will be easy, but i want to have the switch in had before offering advice on the wiring part....lol

I'm certainly not the expert here, but aren't you going to need more than a simple DPDT switch? The direction of the rotation will be determined by the phase angle of incoming AC. Once the motor starts running in the desired direction, I don't think polarity will matter, but wouldn't you need a clipping capacitor or two to get your initial phase angle for each direction?

olyman said:
and steve--if the motor is brushless--should be able to be run clock or counter clock--no brushes to grind off----

Agreed, many motors will run fine in either direction with a simple polarity change.

The test will be wether it draws a different amperage/wattage when running backwards/forwards.

If there is a difference and its not too great I think were talking about the motor lasting 10yrs vs 12yrs, as the motor seems very stout with little rpm loss when in use.

I called them monday morning to tell them about the thing missing wheels and the gaurds and some mounting hardware. They told me they were back ordered until feburary 20 something....I expressed my concern and was frankly, pizzed off. So they sent me a parts list, and going to get me the parts I need...

In the meantime, I took the switch to Grainger to match up a DPDT switch to fit the frame size.....

Could not find one, so i bought a regular toggle switch (DPDT), but am kinda hesitant to try it backwards, at least until they have more instock....

There are three leads going to the motor, It appears to be a brushless motor, but I don't know if it can be ran backwards or not. One of the wires is a nuetral, and the two blacks come off of the switch, with the one going through the condensor. By swapping them, there will be a ton of current on the nuetral in the reverse direction.

The diagram of the tecomec grinder show 4 leads going to the motor on the one direction model.

This grinder might be able to run backwards, but like I said, I am not going to burn it up trying until they at least have some in stock.

I got a wheel for a 511A and put on it. It seems to be a great grinder. I will only use it on rocked out chains. It will be more used for race chains, cutting the teeth back to the front of the rivet, cutting the back of the teeth, thinning the rakers, and grinding the top of the drive links.

I touched up a 28" chain that had hit some metal. It seemed fine to me, and doesn't leave a big burr like I thought it would. What I'm saying is, it is decent the way it is.

BTW, what angles do you guys find to work the best? The wheel I had was 3/16" and I found 65 degrees worked fairly well on the Stihl RS chain.

drogueman said:
Well i just sent Northern an email begging for the sale price but I am sure they will come up some lame excuse not to give me a $100 credit. I have bought a lot of tools from them so lets just see how they will handle this.

They should give you a refund on the difference, if not you might ask what the return policy is. I think they have a 30 day return policy.:chainsaw:

If not:cry: sorry

Reversing of the motor is very simple from the way everyone has described the motor. Although, there needs to be 4 leads coming from the motor to do so. 3 will not work. As far as life of the motor being shortened, there will be no difference. Most motors do not care what direction they are run. If anyone does happen to have one with 4 leads coming directly from the motor I can give directions on how to wire in a switch. I need to use the vast knowledge that college crammed into my head for something....

I sharpened up an old chain that had already been sharpened with the old grinder a couple of times. I used a setting of 60* x 30* and tilted the cutter point downward 10* I did not bother to do the rakers. This chain cut like Hot Butter! Wow... My harbor freight grinder never got one that sharp! I was throwin some big chips today! VERY HAPPY HERE... MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Did anyone notice that the free gift certificate on NT's website isn't being shown? I thought I remember seeing it there yesterday ($10 free with $100 purchase, $20 free with $200 purchase, etc.). Anybody who orders one today, let us know if that deal is still on. Thanks!

Hotline

Has anybody joined Northerns Hotline?
Savings on purchases real?
I think free shipping alone would be worth it.

Latest posts

Back