FYI - Northern Chainsaw Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did it

I was hoping this thread would go away before my will power gave up.
No such luck,the grinder is on it's way............................

I got mine today. The box was pretty beat up, but everything was there. The only bad thing was the knob that tightens the vise is cracked. It will probably work as is, but I am going to send an email and see if they will replace it. I used the suggestions from Butch in the other post and sanded all the rough surfaces on the vise. I still could barely turn it until I sprayed some graphite on it. That made all the difference. It turns easily now. The spray I used was mold release from Midway that I use in my bullet molds. Grease probably would have helped, but I was concerned about the grinder dust mixing with the grease.

ericjeeper said:
Here is my setup. The grinder is removable by simply pulling the 2x6 out of the slotfor storage..in the off season.. (whenever that is)The grinder is at shoulder height.. I see no reason to bend over to see what I am doing. We have over 600 treetops laying on the ground from recent logging activity..Anyone from Indiana needing some free firewood.. You cut of course.....
what part of indiana????close to bluffton ??

Scooterbum said:
Has anybody joined Northerns Hotline?
Savings on purchases real?
I think free shipping alone would be worth it.

Im a hotline member.

I saved all but $10 with just the shipping on my first order and would have saved much more if I had bought all the goodies I want from the hotline catalogs.

RoyR(MI) said:
I still could barely turn it until I sprayed some graphite on it. The spray I used was mold release from Midway

Graphite is a good idea, but you want the powedered stuff used for locks and air tools.

This will provide good lubrication without attracting grit.

Im using this and a rubber skirt for mine and maintainence should be nil.

Last edited:
How many times can a chain be sharpened with a grinder -vs- hand filing?

Let's assume were talking a light touch and not over heating the chain with the grinder. :hmm3grin2orange:

depends--as you partially lent to--as in--how much you take off the teeth each time--with a file--your taking very little off--reason i bought it--after down half on the teeth--from hand filing--am going to use the sharpener to get the length of teeth the same--and true everything back up!!!!!!!:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: and man--this grinder rocks--for far less than the others--

Scooterbum said:
Has anybody joined Northerns Hotline?
Savings on purchases real?
I think free shipping alone would be worth it.

It is. I joined a few years ago when I needed to restock some stuff in the garage (brother-in-law, don't ask...) and I looked at it the same way - pay for the shipping up front and get a few "sale catalogs". I joined again a few months ago when buying some stuff where it offset the shipping charge. Just bought some stuff last night (Merry Christmas to me :) and so, I'm on the good side for this time.

The regular free shipping is up to 50 pounds. and if it's from a "hotline catalog", then everything is free, regardless of weight.

An added bonus I discovered last night is that there seems to be two logins on their site. The first is click "My Account" and login and the second is when you're checking out and enter in the catalog keycode (above the name on the shipping label area). The keycode controls the shipping costs AND pricing on some items. After I entered in the keycode, the prices on a couple things changed. So, double hotline bonus... :clap:

olyman said:
beesler--how to join the hotline??? need to know---oly

You add it to your order when you place one. When I joined years ago I just added it to my online order. I let it lapse since I didn't really need anything from them. When I just joined, I did it over the phone. The operators are trained to ask you if you want to add it to your order (would you like fries with that...).

I called to get a live person so I could haggle a little and so... I hemmed and hawed a little; asked her to go over the details of the plan a few times, etc... After a couple minutes she caved and gave me an extra discount on something to sweeten the deal and so I agreed. :cheers:

I got mine up and running after two days of partying, it took a little practice and a few adjustments but after that I was going along like a pro, man that thing sure puts an edge on them chains. I haven't put the saw into some wood yet but I am sure it will make a big difference. Good luck to all you guys who bought them.:biggrinbounce2:

Well, broke down and ordered one......Still backordered.
Go figure. I've got one inroute right now. I wonder if they get the one's back that are missing parts and make complete kits out of them for resale? The first one I got looked like it had been opened, and just had some plastic banding around it. It was all there in one piece, though.

I have a unit headed my way as well, with a handfull of chains ready to sharpen.

I figure I will start with a 14" loop for my 192T, one that hit some dirt when finishing up a stump for a neighbor. He bought me a new chain, so restoring the dulled chain will be a bonus and my 1st dividend toward the grinder purchase. :)

I'll report the condition of the grinder when it arrives as others have done. I'm hoping it will be good to go, without anything broken or missing.

Put on a chain I'd stuck in the dirt or cut some dead oak with or did something to scorch it. I've never seen a grinder before except for pics so feel free to critique. I'm satisfied with the results, but I'll know more after putting the metal to the wood.

Hey ta am I not seeing right. In the last picture it looks like the cutters on the far side of the chain are a lot shorter then the ones on the near side of the chain?

Back