FYI TSC B&C Oil $6 (in Central Michigan anyhow)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhawkinmi

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Flyer in the mail today from TSC bar and chain oil is $6/gallon. The ad says "save $.99", but last time I checked it was a lot more than $6.99/gallon.

The flyer I got says $7/gal and you save $1.79. Northern Ohio must be different.

A few jugs

I've run a few jugs of that now and wellllllll....I'm a thinking I'll drop an extra buck or two and mebbe find something a bit more ..smooth and slippery. Ya, I know I posted to the effect oil is oil is oil before, I was just saying most anything will technically *work*, but I'll admit there has got to be an el supremo bar oil out there..and mix oil.

Could be my imagination, but when I was running Husky bar oil it just seemed to work better. Not that the TSC stuff doesn't oil, just........hmm..the husky seemed to start flowing faster and the test spray on some wood seemed to be a lot more finer droplets, almost a mist, whereas the TSC cheap stuff comes out in larger drops or multidrops like globs, or strings of oil.

There really needs to be a good quality bar oil review, with microscope pictures and engineering tests for lubricity and so on. Closeups of wear and tear on identical use new chains and bars, all that stuff. Same with mix oil, get this stuff sorted out once and for all. I have never seen a good review of either type oil, either, just read a lot of anecdotals..like I just posted. No actual bona fide scientific reviews though.

From what i have read and seen. The "lower" quality stuff like the tsc and atwoods and menards home brand stuff is recycled oil. That is y most of the time it kinda has radiator fluid look to it. Bc there is some that was let in the recycling bins. Then the higher quality stuff stilh husky and the like is virgin oil that is refined just like the oil in you vehicle. That is y it seems to work better. Because it is a higher quality oil with less impurities is y it actually does work better.

When oil is refined it is distilled, I really don't see a difference in oil being virgin made from crude, or oil recycled and distilled. I think it has a lot to do with marketing. They get recycled oil for cheap a lot less than crude, so therefore it has to be cheap oil right? Even though after the distilling it is still the same thing. Like water if it is distilled it is pure water whether it came from rain, a lake, or your toilet, after it is distilled (refined) it is pure water. Then they add stuff to it to make it have different property's and that is where cheap oil is made.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back