Gaffs for gimpy fat guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well thankee gentlemen,

Only problem now I haven't been able to find the gecko's or cadilacs, welspur and baileys are about the only place I'm aware of for climbing gear.

Once I get paid for this last project I should have enough left over to rebuild my climbing gear, the current set is sorta on permanent loan...

Was fingering some ropes and a few other odd bits maybe a little to much lately... Did I mention my locale saw shop is more then a little awesome.

I make up my own pads just because I couldn't find any that fit like I wanted. I used thicker leather than most pads are made from and ran from below ankle bone to just below knee with T tops that wrap 3/4 of my leg. The T is 5 inches wide with two straps, the top one threaded thru the loop at the top of leg irons. 7/16 thick closed cell foam between the leather pieces. More padding could be added between the pad and the leg, but I haven't needed it. Except for ones I made myself all my gaffs have had adjustable lengths.

well thankee gentlemen,

Only problem now I haven't been able to find the gecko's or cadilacs, welspur and baileys are about the only place I'm aware of for climbing gear.

Find a Vermeer store. My understanding is that they all sell stuff priced and supplied from Sherrill. Walk in, hold it, test it, bu y it. Of course my local store was filled with idiots that had no idea whatsoever as to how any of the arborist equipment was used. Literally, they were clueless and admitted that they had no experience or training, and that they could offer no advice. They were quite helpful, however, when I attempted to try out a Spider jack.

Picked up some samson true blue, a figure eight and a pile of beeners, Strong chance I may have to climb several trees tomorrow, normal climber is hurted still... If he's not up to it in the morning I'll swing by the saw shop and blow all my play money on some buckinghams with the big bucker pads. The scary thing is I think i still remember how to repel.

Can't really afford to go whole hog and get set up for SRT, but I can gimp through it and and repel down.

By the way a big shot, throw line, and throw ball is like $300, add a few ascenders, and a foot loop I'd be lookin at $500... So I'll piece it together and see what happens.

These are full removal trees I'm helping on so we'll see what happens, so far I've done most of the work... Mostly cause I can fall em from the ground without much in the way of rigging them.

So an update for any that care...

Got the big buckers, and tried them out today, felt like climbing a ladder, other than the whole I'm a fat ass thing, I think now I'm only limited by how long I can keep climbing which in reality isn't very far... did I mention I'm a fat ass... 30 feet is a little like running a mile for normal folks...

And the repelling down thing is just too much fun to call work...

Back