Garage Art

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But if you drill the top off whatre gonna get under to wedge with? Course if theres any thread you might be able to get a nut on there. Or use a small visegrip. Been there. Quite a quandry
If I drill the top off then I can get the other two screws out and then remove the muffler. That’ll give me plenty of room to get a hold on that headless bolt with some vise grips.

Yeah. Duh! Too obvious. Thanks for kind answer. You coulda clobbered me
I still don’t know if it’s going to work or not. I should probably just leave it be until I go through everything else to try and get it running right.
The Homelite was pretty easy. But I just haven’t had time to work on the Craftsman yet due to a couple of unexpected projects that had to be put ahead of the lone non-working saw.

Got the little Homelite running tonight. Washed the oil out the cylinder with the old gas that I dumped from the other saw.
Regapped and cleaned the plug.
Cleaned out the muffler and left out the gummed up screen.
Then fired’er up and kept givin it some throttle a little at a time to keep it running until it blew most of the oil out.
Then adjusted the idle and she ran for about 15 minutes until I shut’er off.

I’m guessin that someone put oil in the gas tank.
And there musta been some oil still left in the tank, or in the crakncase because she was smokin like a freight train...but she sounded like an aeroplane.
Loud little sucker I tell ya.

There might be something more going on here, because it made an oily mess while running.
More than likely the chain oil seeped into the engine while it was sitting. If these Homelite saws are to sit unused for long it's good to drain the oil and gas. Also check the duckbill valve in the top of the oil tank..

Before you run it you might hang the saw up by the bar and take the sparkplug out and see if oil drains out. Do this after draining the oil tank..
I got all the oil out of the cylinder on the Homelite. It starts and runs fine.

But you could be right about the oil seeping in over time.
Or, both of these saws may have been owned by the same person. And they may have put oil in the cylinders for long term storage. Because the Craftsman is still way too hard to pull the cord, and I haven’t been able to get the muffler off to get a good look inside yet.
I pulled the plug on the Craftsman and it was very oily. And tried to wash the cylinder out a little with the old gas. But still haven’t gotten it clean enough inside to get the compression down where it should be.

The duckbills are both in place.

Got the old Craftsman 2.3 16” Solid State running.

Nothing of note drained out the plug hole when I stood it on end overnight.

So I resorted to the same trick I used on the Homie.

Found a tiny funnel, rotated to BDC, dumped some old fuel in the plug hole, swished it around and cycled the piston up and down, dumped it out and repeated a couple more times, little spit-n-polish on the old plug, quarter cap full of fuel down the carb, and fired’er up.

Ran for a couple minutes then died.

Out of fuel.

Filled the tank about half way, added some chain oil to make sure it was oiling, and ran it for about 10 minutes while adjusting the mixture and idle.

Fitted’er with a new chain and went and cut some stuff. :chainsaw:

I guess these things got more use than just sitting there looking pretty. ;)

Latest posts

Back