gas and oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl Syn oil...

Whitespider: Thanks. Interesting about Stihl moving away fm dino altogether and into synthetic...Now that would be a huge move in the industry. And maybe the black, (syn/blend), and silver (full syn) are ways to ease us along the road to enlightenment. Was at my dealer yesterday and his oil shelf was half full...about 99% orange and a few black bottles of oil still on the shelf. Not a silver bottle in sight!...hmm...And he was waiting for a large order to arrive...I'm betting he's selling the silver syn as fast as he can get it too!...I use a 50:1 mix in my saw, leaf blower (SH 85), and old, old weed whacker (FS44)...all Stihl...never a prob...Might be time to move a little more into the 21st Cent. even though it hasn't been easy so far. Think I'll try some Silver when he gets more...And yes, it won't hurt a thing and will probably be better all the way around...Actually big changes take about a generation to be accepted as the norm...I'd think the orange will be around for quite awhile...even as they discourage it's use...

The stihl synthetic blend has a better smoke rating than the ultra I believe. The synthetic blend still created unsatisfactory carbon conditions in the four mixes so they got the ultra. And shuzam no more carbon, or atleast a whole lot less That's one of the reasons I like it plus it's supposed to mix best with e10 gas.

Ponder this

1 gal = 128 oz div by 50 to one = 2..56 = per oz mix at 50 to one

x 2 = 5.12 oz for 2 gal cost of these bottles 20.00 a six pak 30.72 oz oil for 20.oo = .65 cents an oz.

.65 cents an oz x 128 oz = 83.00 a gallon. div 4 = 20.8 dollars a quart

Math for
Stihl HP Ultra based on what I am paying, 20.00 a six pak of the 2 gal mix size.

Last edited:
I have talked to Stihl rep - Omni Oil Specialty (manufacturer in U.S)...and the Stihl factory in VA...

NONE of them recommended the black bottle synthetic blend...basically it's just a 'rip-off'..!!

The 'blend' is actually only about 20-25 % synthetic and 75-80% dino...don't waste your $$..

None the Stihl dealers around me will even sell it....nobody wants it....!!

Soo...I recommend just either use the orange HP or the Ultra synthetic...
(I use Amsoil because I can get the Saber full synthetic at ~ the same cost as orange HP)

EDIT: Also I was told by all...NOT to mix the orange HP and the Ultra together to get a "blend"
- - - They don't mix together well - Just Don't Do It..!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
As to 100:1 mix ratio - over 20 years ago when I got my Echo SRM-2410 string trimmer, the dealer sold me some mix oil. I believe the name was Optimol or somesuch. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was 100:1, and the bottle was marked in 1ga increments. It was all I used for a while, probably went through 2 or 3 of those bottles. After that I just bought whatever 2-stroke oil was in the store, as I didn't know anything about it. I still use that Echo, and it's tuned for the 40:1 mix I run in everything, and I'm always amazed at how well it runs.

+1 on the echo stringtrimmer.
They say the 2stroke in a chainsaw pretty much has the worst life. Well I'm not gonna argue that but iwould have to say in my oppinion the string trimmer comes in a close second. I did some serious weed eatin yesterday evening with my hand me down homelite homeowner. The grass was tall because I haven't done lawn work in a couple weeks due to the growth slowing down. Well I should have mowed last weekend because it was all pretty good and tall. I held that weedeater wfo pretty much the whole time through two full tanks and I got to thinkin, I'm floggin he sh$$ out of this thing. But i didn't let up, I hate weedeatin so I got her done and wouldn't u know I ran out wide open on he last trim. I didn't worry at all. I would have thought about it if was a saw. Treat em like crap and you will can't kill em.
Ultra hp rocks amsoil sucks!!!:msp_w00t:

+1 on the echo stringtrimmer.
They say the 2stroke in a chainsaw pretty much has the worst life. Well I'm not gonna argue that but iwould have to say in my oppinion the string trimmer comes in a close second. I did some serious weed eatin yesterday evening with my hand me down homelite homeowner. The grass was tall because I haven't done lawn work in a couple weeks due to the growth slowing down. Well I should have mowed last weekend because it was all pretty good and tall. I held that weedeater wfo pretty much the whole time through two full tanks and I got to thinkin, I'm floggin he sh$$ out of this thing. But i didn't let up, I hate weedeatin so I got her done and wouldn't u know I ran out wide open on he last trim. I didn't worry at all. I would have thought about it if was a saw. Treat em like crap and you will can't kill em.
Ultra hp rocks amsoil sucks!!!:msp_w00t:

What is the trouble with Amsoil
I am wondering.

1 gal = 128 oz div by 50 to one = 2..56 = per oz mix at 50 to one

x 2 = 5.12 oz for 2 gal cost of these bottles 20.00 a six pak 30.72 oz oil for 20.oo = .65 cents an oz.

.65 cents an oz x 128 oz = 83.00 a gallon. div 4 = 20.8 dollars a quart

Math for
Stihl HP Ultra based on what I am paying, 20.00 a six pak of the 2 gal mix size.

Amsoil is about 1/2 the cost!

Anyone tried Repair and Shine from Fructis?

Sound good to me, especially if you're having any problems with the saw. :laugh:

Anyone heard of Castrol a747?

CASTROL A747
Features

High performance castor/synthetic 2-stroke engine oil
For use in highly stressed, high performance 2-stroke engines
Excellent combustion chamber deposit control
Very low rates of piston ring wear
Special additives to prevent throttle slide sticking in wet conditions
High Performance for Race Conditions

Castrol A747 is a CASTOR/SYNTHETIC engine oil specifically designed for use in highly stressed, high performance, 2-stroke engines using premixed fuels, including water-cooled, road racing go-kart engines. Castrol A747 has been developed for race conditions where combustion chamber deposit control is essential.

Castrol A747 is only recommended for premix systems. Its viscosity is too high for use in oil injection systems. Castrol A747 is recommended only for very high performance two-stroke engines. If used in lower performance, lower revving engines, excessive deposit formation may result.

Nope...Never heard of it...

(I left you some info on finding Amsoil locally on the "better than 64" thread"..on page 2 now)
J2F

I am still trying to figure out if I want the Saber or the Dominator.

Applications
DOMINATOR is recommended for use in high performance stock or modified two-cycle motors, including air- or liquid-cooled snowmobiles, personal watercraft, motorcycles (moto X), ATVs, go-carts and outboard motors*. Good for use with coated or non-coated pistons, high-octane racing fuels and exhaust power valves. Compatible with most other two-cycle oils; however, mixing oils should be minimized.

Use in oil-injected and pre-mix applications where API TC oils are specified. In pre-mix applications, DOMINATOR delivers outstanding protection at 50:1 pre-mix ratios (2.6 oz. oil per U.S. gallon of gas), although many racers modify the mix ratio to suit their setup. Not suitable for use with alcohol or nitro-methane fuels.

Last edited:
Well..LW...I don't know what all you have you're trying to run synthetic in..??

If it's just chainsaw...weedeater...leaf blower...etc...then you want to just use Saber.

Find a dealer and they likely will have a catalog brochure that explains the differences and applications recommended..
Or request the brochures from Amsoil.com

(of course..every oil they are describing...is loaded with sales pumping...like the one
- that mixes the gas and water back together if you should get water in your gas..!!
- It's like $12 for a TINY bottle...just pour out the gas and buy new fresh gas..!!)

But it's your $$ and your equipment...soo I guess you'll have to.."pick your own poison"..LOL..!!
J2F

Latest posts

Back