Gas Can Pumps (pics & links)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnHermit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Because I hate to spill gas when filling my CS and it seemed I always did so with a conventional gas can and spout, I looked for a pump solution. I've purchased and used the following pumps. Each has its virtues and vices, both are inexpensive so you may want to take a fly. No warranty expressed or implied.

The Sierra Tools is a rather long pump and works on 2 - D cells, in the red upper portion. It has a momentary contact slide switch at the top. It sells for $10 on Amazon. I found it to have too high a flow rate for filling a CS. To keep it clean, I stored it in the paper tube in the photo, another hassle.

GasPumpElec7937.jpg

This Squeeze Bulb Pump is from Harbor Freight and sells for $5. It's 70" long and use two standard spiral hose clamps to attach the hose to the bulb. I took one side off and cut the other in half to shorten its length. The flow rate is perfect for a CS tank, about a dozen squeezes fills the tank. Did have one time it refused to pump, half-hour later it worked fine. Small and flexible enough to fit in the saw case.

GasPumpSqueeze7939.jpg

MtnHermit-either of those look like more of a pita than they would be worth.

This looks like it has some merit.
NS_1415_L.jpg

These are awesome. I bought mine from Sherrill Tree, Bailey's has them, and my local Stihl dealer has them too.

Still the only time I've ever spilled gas is if I overfilled the saw. Think I did that once early on and learned not to fill it to the very top. I bought one of these to use on an old gas can. It came with an adapter to fit a variety of cans and the soft hose is easy to place in the saw without having to tip the gas can. I also like the little black plug attached to the hose so I can't leave it somewhere. The red part is a valve that allows you to turn the flow on or off.

attachment.php

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what I use...by the time I get done, I have gas all over the saw, ground, truck and somehow get chain oil in my hair...

My saw is one of those things I just can't fill with fluid....everything else (sled, quad, car etc) I can do without spilling, not the saw though!

It doesn't matter what I use...by the time I get done, I have gas all over the saw, ground, truck and somehow get chain oil in my hair...

Have you considered using hair conditioner as chain oil? Imagine how smooth and silky your hair would become! :D

Have you considered using hair conditioner as chain oil? Imagine how smooth and silky your hair would become! :D

My daughter used to put vasoline in her hair when she was about 2! The house would get all quite and I would go looking for her...find her with a jar of vasoline and her head all greased up! :mad:

NS_1415_L.jpg

These are awesome. I bought mine from Sherrill Tree, Bailey's has them, and my local Stihl dealer has them too.

These cans are very common in Collyfornia with our no vent poilcy. They work very well for storage but are a little fragile for use in the bush. I use a piggy back can or MSR fuel bottles. No pumps, no hoses, just simple stuff. Several friends use gypo jugs.

Seems I spill mix and bar oil almost every time I fill up. I just assumed that was part of saw ownership.

The battery operated pump would make me nervous however, even a couple of "D" cells have more than enough energy to light off some gasoline vapors. It wouldn't have to happen very often to make it quite dangerous.

serial killer - is that green button a valve?

Mark

I practice my pouring technique with 12 ounce long necks so I don't have a problem with the CS gas.:cheers:

I just use a 1 gallon can with the vent on the back (plastic). When I think the saw is getting full, I cover the vent with my thumb and it slows the flow rate down to almost nothing. Nearly no spills, no pumps to deal with, no spouts to store.

Werks Fer Me! :)

I picked up one of these cans a few weeks ago. They work great.
I'm pretty sure there was a thread about them.
Push the green button to open it up so the fuel flows..........454
NS_1415_L.jpg

Last edited:
Back