Gas Co. is at it again, Grrrrrrrr

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We have not burned a cubic foot of gas since Spetember:) but Ma gasco still sent a bill each month for $8 for having a meter(basicaly) Now I get the bill for March and they have raised that to over $13. Which is worse, to get ripped on what you buy?? OR to pay for getting NOTHING??? I want to tell them to stick their meter but the ole woman doesnt want a LP tank in the back yard, Grrrrrrr, Grrrrrrrr:chainsaw:

I think I read in the newspaper the other week that they were increasing our natural gas fees to "cover" how they are going to start reading our gas meters. Instead of having someone read our meters every other month soon the meters will be tied in to a satellite that can read it every month electronically. Supposedly more cost effective. I have not burned any natural gas in at least 7 weeks. I can't wait to see my bill.

We haven't used any gas in two years, the Coop came and got our tank because I told them I probably wasn't going to use any, anytime soon. They told us we had to have them fill it. I might buy a 100# cyl. for backup for that just in case we have to leave for a few days. But other than that, screw em.

doesn't matter how little gas we use. they get us for at least $40 per month on what they call "delivery charges".

gotta love new york state.

Our base monthly customer charge went from $7 last year to $13 this year. I use $0.00 as well every month. I'm not crazy about paying them $156 each year for absolutely nothing, so I called them to suspend my service and take their meter back for the summer. The woman from the gas company said sure, no problem and went through the process and setting the dates. Before I hung up the phone she mentioned there's a $125 reconnection fee, plus a $13 charge for every month the service was disconnected should I decide to reconnect the service within the following 12 months... :censored:

That's what i did, called the gas company "propane" in my case, told them to come get their 500 gal tank they wanted to charge me rent for. Then found a couple 100 pounders, hooked 1 up and use the 2nd one for backup. Where your meter attaches to the house you could build a little lean-to to hide the tank's to keep the old lady from complaining.

I know that a propane tank isn't pretty to look at but if you buy one you're not stuck to one supplier. You can buy the propane when it's not in high demand and you usually get a lower price.

try getting a $29 per month gas bill... regardless of usage.

We have not burned a cubic foot of gas since Spetember:) but Ma gasco still sent a bill each month for $8 for having a meter(basicaly) Now I get the bill for March and they have raised that to over $13. Which is worse, to get ripped on what you buy?? OR to pay for getting NOTHING??? I want to tell them to stick their meter but the ole woman doesnt want a LP tank in the back yard, Grrrrrrr, Grrrrrrrr:chainsaw:

When we bought our place it came with a propane tank which we own.

There isn't anyone who tells us when to fill! We filled once for last winter! We're still at 60%!

I think I heard some place that there are tanks that can be put under ground.

Dan

I think I heard some place that there are tanks that can be put under ground.

Yep, seen 'em. Or rather just the tops.

http://www.propane101.com/undergroundpropanetanks.htm

They (should) do some special stuff when installing -- anchor it down so it doesn't float if the you have a flood, install extra corrosion protection, back fill with sand so you don't get rocks by the tank, etc.

The only "extra" concern I'd have with a proper install is if it does leak, soil filters out the mercaptan that odorizes propane so you may not smell a leak. However, that can be a problem with conventional installs too, like a line buried underground leaking, or an old 100# cylinder sitting on the dirt whose bottom has rotted out.

Back