Gas/Diesel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember the mechanic where I used to work pouring contaminated diesel - gas into the diesel storage tank and we didn't have problems with it inthe new or old diesel tractors or the diesel Bobcat that I am aware of. I expect it was 5-10 gal of gas to 300 gal little more or less diesel. I agree I'd be reluctant to put in equipment of my own that is very costly.

We used a Diesel transfer tank to haul 30Gal of Gas(Yeah..I know. Had to be done) out to a stranded truck in the uncles field one year.

Had maybe a quart of red diesel in the tank, and nobody thought it would be a problem.
That old Dodge wasn't consulted though. Ran like crap to the point of inspiring us to check for real problems with the ignition.
Ended up siphoning the crap out, and running 10 gallons of Av Gas to clean things up before the old 440 ran right again.

Unless it's an old distilate burner, pass on the stuff. It's not worth it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thats pretty close to what we have at the shop. 30 gal of gas that was put into a 50gal diesel fuel tank, then siphoned out into the drum.

Never run gasoline in a modern diesel, even in small amounts. Diesel is a much better lubricant than gasoline is, and diesel is the only thing that lubricates the fuel pump internals and injector internals. Diesel fuel pumps have very, very tight tolerances in order to build the many thousands of psi of fuel pressure required to spray the fuel into a mist for the engine to burn it. Gasoline in the fuel will kill your $1000-$2000 fuel pump and possibly injectors in short order.

Due to the poorly designed fuel pump system on 1999 Dodge diesel the inj. pump died @ 150K miles. After I replaced the inj. pump and a FASS fuel pump $3000 and I did it myself no shop. I put 6.4 oz. 2 stroke oil per tank for additional pump lubrication. Fuel is what cools and lubes the pump. Remember how greasy the old diesel was. Never had any pump problems from lack of lube.
Shep

Joe,

if you have an older farm tractor, International Harvester cub, A, B, Super C, H or M, John Deere A, B, D, G, M or 40, 50, 60, or any of the Fords N series or Ford 600 or 800 series with the Red Tiger GAS engines, burn it. Draw about one gallon in a clear glass container and let sit for about a day. That will give you an idea of the ratio. Most smaller gas 4 stroke should burn it, not well but it will burn it.

Some injector pumps are more tolerant of gasoline than others.

Straight gas will ruin one of the old Bendix type injector pumps or most any of the plunger type injector pumps.

I think the Rosa Master type pump is pretty much tolerant of gasoline?

I don't know anything about the modern day common rail stuff.

At any rate, a diesel with gasoline in it does not make good power. Seems I remember they run hotter too?

The old multi-fuel army trucks would run gasoline or aviation fuel but they recommended four quarts of motor oil to the 50 gallon tank etc. It would hammer louder and not have much power.

The other way around - I've run old chainsaw gas/oil mix in my B&S lawn tractor and you never could tell it was in there.

From my experience, Diesel/gasoline mixtures are more treacherous as fire starter than straight gasoline. The mixture has the vapor pressure of gasoline but the mixture will lift at ignition and spread more. It is a good way to catch yourself on fire?

Bar oil is another story. Some of it (even just a little) burns white like Dexron ATF.

gas & diesel

I had the same thing happen ; I put 5 gals. at atime in my car at fill-ups. I used it in gas and had no problems an that has been two years ago.Steve

Send that drum of mix to me. I just finished building a dozen very large burn piles and I'll mix your fuel with gelling agent to make it sticky.

BTW never use straight gas on burn piles. Bad advice.

Send that drum of mix to me. I just finished building a dozen very large burn piles and I'll mix your fuel with gelling agent to make it sticky.

BTW never use straight gas on burn piles. Bad advice.

Straight gas on a burn pile? Been there, done that. Lit it off with an old shop towel wrapped around the end a 12 foot pipe, lit the rag, leaned back, hovered it over the gas fumes, and ta da, fire... that bonfire was the hottest I've ever seen... torch red flames with white tips reaching well over 20 feet into the air... couldn't get any closer than 10-15 feet to the fire without feeling intense heat... it was that hot.

Pile of brush was about 10 feet tall, and was slightly damp, so that's why we used gas to light the sucker up. Once the gas went, it heated up the pile and evaporated all of the moisture out of it, and POOF!! WHOOOOSH!!!! Lit up better than a flaming bag of turds. :rock:

Latest posts

Back