Gas for Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too run 100ll aviation fuel, we get it at the airport in town where we do 90% of our work for only 2.50-3.00 a gallon. plus two strokes love the lead in the fuel

Nothing like jumping on a thread late...

We recently went through a bunch of carb/fuel type problems with the guys I work with across a range of saws (Stihl, Husky, and J'red). It was happening regardless of who's mix jugs we got gas from, which saws we ran, and what gas station the gas came from. I did some checking in the chainsaw forum and there are a lot of threads about ethanol but no real clear consensus except to run aviation fuel. That's not really practical for us, the nearest airport isn't that close and we go through a fair bit of gas. All the gas available around here is E10 and I'm chalking the problems up to the ethanol, so I started running high quality marine grade fuel stabilizer in all our mix and it seems to be helping. Any thoughts? Anyone else doing this?

:cheers:

Nothing like jumping on a thread late...

We recently went through a bunch of carb/fuel type problems with the guys I work with across a range of saws (Stihl, Husky, and J'red). It was happening regardless of who's mix jugs we got gas from, which saws we ran, and what gas station the gas came from. I did some checking in the chainsaw forum and there are a lot of threads about ethanol but no real clear consensus except to run aviation fuel. That's not really practical for us, the nearest airport isn't that close and we go through a fair bit of gas. All the gas available around here is E10 and I'm chalking the problems up to the ethanol, so I started running high quality marine grade fuel stabilizer in all our mix and it seems to be helping. Any thoughts? Anyone else doing this?

:cheers:

Baileys sells a tester that will check the ethanol content of your fuel.

Sells for $5

Nice little diagnostic tool.

High ethanol fuels will eat your fuel lines..it is a more corrosive fuel by nature, thats why vehicles that arent E85 rated should not use it b/c they are not designed to handle this more corrosive fuel. I run 89 octane and Stihl Ultra syn exclusively as per OEM recommendations and doing research on Baileys..there was a link I cant find to the chainsaw gods that do mods..and they said use fresh 89 octane..if it gets more than a month old..dump it out..With fuel prices so unstable nowadays..it makes things alot easier..

Just picked up ms 460 yesterday, what needs to be done to run the av fuel? should I start right away? I raced dirt bikes when I was a youngin, ran cam 2, had to richen them up a little if I remember correctly! man did it smell GOOD!!! also I am big on removing the spark arrester. I dont do state forests, so nothing to worry about, saw somewhere on here to richen even after doing that. my ms 290 & 017 did fine w/o any adjustments after doing so.

all my sawz run on Robitussin.....................................................

...CAUSE THERE :censored: SICK!!!:chainsaw:

i found a local gas station near me, that sells 110 octane leaded racing fuel, i take a 5 gal can there and fill it up with about 2 -2.5 gal then go over to the reg pumps and top it off with what ever their premium is (i think its 93) it works out to about 100 ocatne with a little lead in it. Then mix it 50:1 with Mobil 1 R2T (one gallon at a time). I havn't had any problems as of yet. Smells Great!

I should mention, I only run this mix in warmer months, straight premium (91 or 93) in winter.

My local Stihl dealer recently told me the factory just started recommending that all small engines (saws, blowers, trimmers) run mid grade gas (89 octane) and to stay away from regular 87 octane to compensate for issues caused by 10% ethanol.

My local Stihl dealer recently told me the factory just started recommending that all small engines (saws, blowers, trimmers) run mid grade gas (89 octane) and to stay away from regular 87 octane to compensate for issues caused by 10% ethanol.

Just started? Looking in my Stihl MS 361 book that is a few years old, it says use mid-grade 89 octane or better gas. 10% ethanol issues will not be compensated for with using mid-grade. Ethanol increases octane, and burns more evenly that pure gas. The issues with ethanol are with its water absorbing, gumming/setteling, and rubber/plastic/gasket eating properties.

Was advised to use 89 octane or better also (not to compensate for the ethanol but since it is not regulated as much but mass produced to meet demands). Have been running the High octane (91 or 93) (in all my small motor equipment) and only mixing what I plan on using for the day (1/2 or 1 gallon). Mix seems to go bad after a couple of weeks otherwise.

Ethanol what a nightmare, but at least the farmers aren't suffering and you can't see my saw glowing from space (BTB's).:bang:

Have herd that the ethanol will eat up the fuel line and carb will need to be rebuilt more often. Since no chainsaw co. have adapted the components to deal with this issue of ethanol in gas. Has anyone tried the hobby stores for non-corrosive replacement lines?:popcorn:

Was advised to use 89 octane or better also (not to compensate for the ethanol but since it is not regulated as much but mass produced to meet demands). Have been running the High octane (91 or 93) (in all my small motor equipment) and only mixing what I plan on using for the day (1/2 or 1 gallon). Mix seems to go bad after a couple of weeks otherwise.

Ethanol what a nightmare, but at least the farmers aren't suffering and you can't see my saw glowing from space (BTB's).:bang:

Have herd that the ethanol will eat up the fuel line and carb will need to be rebuilt more often. Since no chainsaw co. have adapted the components to deal with this issue of ethanol in gas. Has anyone tried the hobby stores for non-corrosive replacement lines?:popcorn:

Guy at the saw shop today told me to put stabilizer in my 93 octane gas. I said I use it quick enough that it doesn't matter. Said he still recommended it. He didn't sell it either so it wasn't self-serving advice...wonder why though?

Latest posts

Back