Gas the saw in the tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just another question, how the heck can i gas my saw in the tree to save time? I can send it down to the ground for someone to do. How do you all do it? i usually come all the way down.
-ac

I've never seen anyone fuel a saw in the tree. Seems like a giant pain in the a$$ to me. You either have to pack fuel into the tree and hang it somewhere, then climb to your fuel cache or have the fuel roped up to you, hence no advantage to roping the saw down and having the groundies fuel it. Our guys usually just rope down the saw on the tail of the climbing line or the rigging line (if it's handy).

If you have a spare micro pulley on your saddle, put the bight of the rope in the pulley with both ends on the ground. Then the groundies can pull the saw up to you.

Tie it onto my climbing line and send it down. I like to zipline them down my climbing line when I can and have it tied on and sent back up.

You asked about saveing time, to do this I have at least 2 200ts on the site and I dont run them out of fuel if I can help it. There tanks are not see through but almost, u can see the fuel in them and when its low I have the groundman worm up the other and get it ready to come up. I do not have the patiance to wait for them to fuel me up and also it seems like when i rush them they never get those dam fliper caps on right.

In tree refuel. Many have tried, most fail or find it unworthy the effort in the end.
Take the time while your groundie does it for ya to plan tasks ahead tidy that gear have a break.
If/when you find a way that works, let us know.

You asked about saveing time, to do this I have at least 2 200ts on the site and I dont run them out of fuel if I can help it. There tanks are not see through but almost, u can see the fuel in them and when its low I have the groundman worm up the other and get it ready to come up. I do not have the patiance to wait for them to fuel me up and also it seems like when i rush them they never get those dam fliper caps on right.

I run an 011avt in the tree. What can I say? I like old school saws.
-ac

Just another question, how the heck can i gas my saw in the tree to save time? I can send it down to the ground for someone to do. How do you all do it? i usually come all the way down.
-ac

Maybe you could fill one of them homo looking camelback things with saw gas, hang a jug of bar oil around your neck.. just thinking for ya here..

Stihlcutter, just a question but why on earth would you climb all the way down to fuel when you have a guy on the ground that could do it for you?

Stihlcutter, just a question but why on earth would you climb all the way down to fuel when you have a guy on the ground that could do it for you?

I'm mainly trying to figure a way to zip line it down and retrieve it. My 011 has a tiny tank.
-ac

Slip a bight of rope through the handle and lower it down by pulling up on the tail side of the rope so that it lengthens at the handle and slides down to the ground. if its too short to do so, bring the tail of your rope up and tie it on, and lower it down.....
These things usually are covered when learning to climb, but if you taught yourself there is no one to stand below you and yell "get that saw down to us for fuel you dumba$$!" then you won't know until you ask on a site like this.....

I'll lower the saw down on my climbing line to one of my ground workers. While waiting for them to fill it, I'll be working on the next piece to be rigged down. If I need it right away, I'll have the other 200 sent up. (like nba123 I have two and concur that if they are in a hurry you'll end up with gas, oil or both on you when the flippy caps come off.:dizzy:)

2 saws is good, ensuring it is topped off prior to going up, use a hand saw more often, turn the saw off between cuts.

Time saving is not a big issue for me, I enusre there is a "Tool Central" near the worksite, out of the way. I hate it when I call for a refuel and someone has to run to the street to get the fluids.

I have found that not idling the saw all day saves a lot of fuel, and using a handsaw even more. I joke about being able to tell who is paying for the fuel by whether the climber turns his saw off in the tree on a removal.

My system on removals is to work down a tree to open the DZ up for efficiency, if I have a long climb w/o any big cuts, I will send the saw down to be topped off. This cuts 12 pounds off my climbing weight.

If I have the advantage of doing low friction rigging that allows for big sections to come off with each rig, I will have a medium saw with me. They tend to have bigger tanks, but not use as much fuel as a large saw. I love the 346 on these jobs, I kinda regret getting the 260, it did not really replace it.

My best advice is to get a better saw, the ms200 is day and night to that old boat anchor you are climbing with.

I'm kind of surprised, there is a bunch of guys who supposedly climb all the time with no groundies, figured they'd be here with some tips on how they fuel their saws.

I do the two saw thing myself, use one while the other gets maintained, but like jps mentioned, i use a large saw in a tree and they are gas guzzlers. I'll switch mine out when i think it's getting low instead of running it out too. We do alot of stem work and there is nothing worse than running out of gas halfway through a back cut.

I've seen guys on that Heli-Loggers show bring those aluminum bottles up with them. I think they are the same ones that some wild land firefighters use. They are only a tank or three extra, so not too much extra to hang off your harness. Myself, I send it down and have the groundy filler up. Gives me a moment to grab a drink and plan out the next few cuts.

I've never done it, but I have seen guys on the fire line who carry their gas and oil in those lite aluminum Thermos looking things on their belts. They don't hold much but conceivably you could carry them up the tree with you. It does seems complicated and maybe even dangerous to gas up in the tree.
Don't make a lot of sense though when you can have a groundman fill it up and start it for you(Seem like there always hard to start right after filling)

(Oh, I didn't see bulldoglovers post)

Last edited:
I've seen guys on that Heli-Loggers show bring those aluminum bottles up with them. I think they are the same ones that some wild land firefighters use. They are only a tank or three extra, so not too much extra to hang off your harness. Myself, I send it down and have the groundy filler up. Gives me a moment to grab a drink and plan out the next few cuts.

These work great for taking fuel with you. They are made by
MSR.

View attachment 167910

Back