gave my 2100 to the shop RUNNING and they called to say its seized

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctkiteboarding

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
what the ,,, ive had this saw for a lonngg time and it has only been great too me ,,,,,, i used it last week and was having problems with the manual oiler, so i dropped it off at the shop ,,,, the guy calls me today to tell me its seized up,,,,,

what the ,,,,,, it had been running super well when i dropped it off,,,,, any ideas ,,, i have not picked it up yet to see whats the deal ,,,, but the ass at the shop was quick to tell me that parts were not available ,,, then he told me it had seized up???????????????????????????:angry:

ctkiteboarding said:
what the ,,, ive had this saw for a lonngg time and it has only been great too me ,,,,,, i used it last week and was having problems with the manual oiler, so i dropped it off at the shop ,,,, the guy calls me today to tell me its seized up,,,,,

what the ,,,,,, it had been running super well when i dropped it off,,,,, any ideas ,,, i have not picked it up yet to see whats the deal ,,,, but the ass at the shop was quick to tell me that parts were not available ,,, then he told me it had seized up???????????????????????????:angry:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm interesting ordeal here. What shop or dealer brand is this your referring to???

ctkiteboarding said:

Maybe he was talking about the oiler,Hand oilers seize too.

Rick

This is terrible, but things like this are bound to happen occasionally. Especially with older saws. It may be that the shop was holding the throttle open while checking the oiler, and bang!

Responsibility? Kind of hard to say really. It's similar to someone borrowing it. If they drop a tree on it, it's obvious whose fault it is. But if it just quits, who's to blame?

We recently had a situation where one of our guys forgot to tighten the oil plug on a mower; it vibrated out and BANG! The fault was clearly ours and we put a new short block in for free.

set up

OK, at least once a month I get this. The saw was running super good, when I last used it. You bring it in, I try to pull it over WHILE THE CUSTOMER IS STANDING THERE, and it is lean seized. The reason it was running so GOOD, is that there was an air leak. Makes the saw scream. Until it melts the piston.

The big question is, did they pull the saw over when you brought in? The only other way to prove it was not there fault is to air test the saw before teardown.

Oh, and there is NEVER straight gas in the tank when the shop sees it. I will be full of fresh mix.

This may or may not be your situation, just telling of experiences at the saw shop.

Last lean seize, customer says," I ran out of mix, but I only used straight gas for a little while." I week old 361. At least it was still clean to work on.

stihltech said:
Last lean seize, customer says," I ran out of mix, but I only used straight gas for a little while." I week old 361. At least it was still clean to work on.

Wait a second... As I understand it from here on AS, running too little oil (or too much gasoline - depends on if your glass is half-full or half-empty) in your mix creates a rich condition, as there is a higher concentration of gasoline relative to the otherwise constant air volume.

Adding too much oil (too little gasoline) to your mix would create the lean condition, as there is a lower fuel:air ratio. Higher oil:gas and higher oil:air, but that's irrelevant.

Thus, running straight gas would make an extremely RICH condition, not lean, and the resulting failure would be a lack-of-lube failure not a lean-sieze.

The outstanding performance immediatley before grenade action would be due to the increased power available from burning gasoline versus oil in this fashion.

Correct?

It's undeniable that running straight gas in a 2-stroke will chuck it in short order, I'm just trying to get a handle on failure mode and causes.

My 2c.

It's definitely a "lack of lube" seize. Without lubrication (mix oil) in the gas, it doesn't matter what AIR-GAS mixture (13->14:1) you use!

The ratio of oil/gas does change the lean/rich somewhat, but not all that much in comparison to the heat generated by friction when you take away the lube.

It's the combination of heat from friction and heat from combustion that melts the piston and smears aluminum onto the bore (assuming it's a plated bore. The problem (destruction) comes from the frictional component.

Someone posted (early last year?) the math to calculate the heat generated by combustion at different oil ratios.. I think it was on AS... I can't remember, but the heat with or without oil for the same amount of air was only a few percent. Maybe Ben Walker talked about this?

bottom line ,, ive used it exclusively and have always taken care of it ,, just seems fishy ,,, it ran just like it has from the day i bought it and ran strong last week when i needed a big bar,,,, sucks R

I am assumming that we are talking homelite here? i would go in and want to see it and thouroghly investegate. (people either get mad or crumble when you start an investigation/interogation) Is the shop reputable? or did they switch parts etc?:yoyo:

Even though painful, seizure of a Husqvarna 2100 wouldn't hurt nearly as bad as a Homelite 2100. Please don't take me wrong, because I am very sorry to hear about your saw.

Dan

Any chance you do your cutting at a much higher elevation than the saw shop? Here, my brothers saw shop sits about 4700 ft. Most of the saw work is 7500 ft to 9000 ft above sea level. If this is your situation and this guy didn't ritchen your saw up before running it to check the oiler it is HIS FAULT and he needs to make it right, and the parts are still available:

cylinder kit is #501678501

stihltech said:
OK, at least once a month I get this. The saw was running super good, when I last used it. You bring it in, I try to pull it over WHILE THE CUSTOMER IS STANDING THERE, and it is lean seized. The reason it was running so GOOD, is that there was an air leak. Makes the saw scream. Until it melts the piston.

The big question is, did they pull the saw over when you brought in? The only other way to prove it was not there fault is to air test the saw before teardown.
This is good practice, they should have done this. But if they didn't it there own fault. Judging by the the type of buisness this guy has the shop is going to damage itself in the long run if they dont make it right.

Probably the mechanic got to the saw, looking at his work order which said
oiler problems. Probably pulled the rope to start the saw, felt the compression
then pulled the muffler to confirm what he already knew, piston damage...

Put saw back down, wrote "piston damage/lean seizure" not worth
fixing the oiler. Saws with piston damage can still run. I leave the muffler off
to show the customer, who has a hard time believing it.
Wanting to try to blame me, etc......

I got in a well used MS360 from a local mill yesterday with a tag "fix - recoil jambed". Well.... the recoil worked, but everything was a little stiff... sure enough, melted piston that had lean seized when hot, but could move when cool.

Called them.. "it was working fine, the saw stopped and the recoil jambed. How can it be seized?" It took a while to get through to them that a recoil pawl wasn't going to fix the problem.

We get something similar about once per month. Most often its an honest mistake where the customer didn't understand the actual failure. Tag that says "needs tune up - was running great" is a red flag...

Yes, weekly.

"just put a rope in it. Oh, yeah, put a plug in it. What??!!! It ran great
when I brought it in!!!!!

rotten scoundrels

Yep, we are a rotten bunch. Just by touching your saw we can cause major damage.
Please don't always be so quick to blame the tech. He can only diagnose by what he sees.
As for your lean seize, which is what I refer to as a melted piston, unless they started to cut a quarter cord before they started repair, the damage was most likely done before they touched it.
Sorry to not be totally on your side, but when you repair saws daily, what you are talking about has been see by many techs.

Hey Fish, my magic wand is getting a little slow these days, you know, the one I fix saws with over the phone. Heard you had some intergalactic stellar repair dust lying around. Could you spare some for a fellow tech. I think I can scrape up the quadzillion kukamungas you will need in trade.:bowdown:

Latest posts

Back