General 2 stoke question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could care less about the OCD, come take a walk through my shop or garage and you'll see I'm the same way. But basing something being ok to do simply because nothing bad has happened yet is like saying "I've played russian roullette for 10 years with a loaded revolver and havent been shot so it must be safe".

To each his own, if you want to continue doing it your way, by all means go ahead. I'll do it my way, just letting the poster know all sides.

A very bad analogy, but whatever.

I never said that what I was doing was the only solution. Matter-of-fact, I never addressed the issue of fuel coming from the muffler. Obviously, the carb needs some attention.

First off, look at the lengths we go through on this site to keep equipment from running lean. Now you repeatedly want to run the leanest mixture possible that will still run? It may not score a cylinder, but it certainly isn't helping bearings. Leaving fuel lines and carbs empty after running ethanol fuel is even worse than leaving ethanol fuel in them for a period of a month or two. Good two stroke oils have a fuel stabilizer in them and leaving them empty will cause them to harden even faster. If you must, you'd be much further ahead to dump the ethanol fuel out and fill with something like trufuel. Or even better, dump the fuel out and run a fogging oil through.

It helps to make it clear which post you are replying to. If it's mine, all I will say is that you're making much ado about nothing, and I'll only agree to heartily disagree. Great country, America!

Boy I seem to have started quite a discussion, which is great! here are a couple of photos of the puddle.MLNA0017.JPG MLNA0017.JPG MLNA0016.JPG
Definitely dripping out of the muffler. I used it again this evening and it is running very well lots of pop, but also trims very well at just above idle.

Lee

I leave my saws full of fuel an oil so they are ready to go anytime I need them. I also try to make sure I run them at least once every few weeks, but sometimes a couple of months go by, no problems.

I have been using this procedure with my 044 since new in Dec 92 w/o any issues. If I planned to not use them for an extended period of time I would fill with pre mix. I also try to fill my saws before they run dry so I don't run them lean.

I can see dumping bad gas, but to pour gas out of a saw, then back into it makes no sense to me.

But it is a free country, do what works for ya.

looks to me like your just running cheap oil or running to rich. i've had husky and echo oil make a mess like that before. i got the same trimmer only newer and the thing is a beast. mine ain't stock though :D

i would pull the muffler and clean it out to. those ryobi's got a little tube that goes 3/4 way up the muffler from the bottom when stock so for it to leak out the tube there must be oil puddled in there. for it to be leaking out the muffler outlet it must be puddled pretty deep too, like almost at the exhaust port deep. of course, yours is a bit older then mine so the muffler might be different internally. mine doesn't have the tube anymore.

My Ryobi trimmer does the same thing...it's an older one that runs 32:1 and the muffler is always a bit drippy buit it's unburnt oil mostly. I recently starting using synth 2c oil at 40:1, so far that seems to help with the smoke and post-muffler drip. We'll see if that's enough protection for the motor...If yours is definitely fuel, the carb probably needs a kit.

My 72 Arctic Cat w/walbro , when it sat for awhile, would fill the crankcase with fuel and hydroloc . What a beetch that was ........ The needle valve was sticking open .

My father is 83 and suffers from "old man" nose. It runs at times although he's not sick. He's seen a doctor for it, and the doc said it's just cause he's old. Nothing can be done for it.

How old is your trimmer?
I don't know bought it used some few years ago for $10.00. Carb setting were 1 1/4 each. Took the muffler off, no scoring, not full of fuel but pretty restrictive. Removed the screen at least. Set carb to 1 turn out each it started but quit so i'll do a carb kit on the Walbro WT. More to come, appreciate the feedback

good luck with your trimmer,i had one of those years ago,what a POS,i put up with it for about 4 years then one day my wife brought home a FS85,that Ryobi went straight into the trash bin ,problem solved

good luck with your trimmer,i had one of those years ago,what a POS,i put up with it for about 4 years then one day my wife brought home a FS85,that Ryobi went straight into the trash bin ,problem solved

I know what you mean! But this motor is apparently very popular with the RC airplane folk which says something good about the motor at least.

Latest posts

Back