Get certified?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777ER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi,

I was reading through the ISA certification process and was thinking about applying for it.

I work for an airline in maintenance and work 4 days 10 hr shifts and have 3 days off...
So I was thinking I could do some work on the side on my off days, just small to medium sized jobs.

Just currenlty I help the people I know such as close family members and friends and care/maintain the 2 family house and property that I rent out 2 floors to tenants.

As I read the certification requirements, it asks for 3 years mins experience or a degree in arborculture.

As for my experience, I removed quite alot of old trees and shrubs around my parents property and planted many new trees as my mother likes to garden and landscape her 3/4ths of a acre property, been doing this every spring/summer season until 2 years ago.

Cut through a 1.5-2ft diameter tree branch that fell down on the front lawn (took me 2 days including hauling the logs away mostly by myself)

Helped a uility company take down a tree branch that fell down on the side lawn...their chainsaw wouldn't even start and I offered to use my homelite.

Mostly private work which will be hard to prove.

My question is with the private experience, am I able to get quailifed for the certifcation?
And is it worth it?

I see it requires 30 CEU's for recertifcation and to keep your certifcation in good standing, can this be done online and by mail?

Sometimes there's alot of downtime at my airline work I could study at my desk.

Buy the study guide and take the test.

(A white lie about your experience will not be detected, unless you cross me! LOL.)

Yup.... it's not the most challenging exam in the world. Multiple guess and twig ID. The twig ID will challange you the most but as long as you can read a book .... you should do OK.

Has anyone told you about all the hot chicks you will get after becoming certified?

I want me some hot chicks:clap:
Now I wish there was a place to take the test within 1000 miles.
You can't take the test online can you??

That's a secret only certified arborists know, gota run going to a party with "Hot Chicks"!

Yup.... it's not the most challenging exam in the world. Multiple guess and twig ID. The twig ID will challange you the most but as long as you can read a book .... you should do OK.

777-You heard it here, all you have to do is be able to read a book, good God. Thats it, oh, and have an average short term memory. But I am just a utility hack, even after thousands of trees. That I climbed, not just looked at. What do I know, its amazing that I can even start a saw, not being an arborist.

Do it if you want, I am sure you could be doing better things in your limited spare time, like helping people out like you have done before.

That's a secret only certified arborists know, gota run going to a party with "Hot Chicks"!

I know man. When I got my degree in arboriculture some hot chicks approached me right away. But when I became a CA, my God, they were all over me. They can't leave you alone either when you get your applicator's license. Hot chicks that is.

elmtree

Look into joining the ISA, there are a lot of benefits. Also, see if there is a comunity tree council in your area. Better yet, a tree board in an area subdivision that you can attend. They sometimes hire arborists and this could be your in.

Looks like I'm gonna go for the CA ;)

Hot chicks just got to be one of the perks of being a CA ::cheers:

777-You heard it here, all you have to do is be able to read a book, good God. Thats it, oh, and have an average short term memory. But I am just a utility hack, even after thousands of trees. That I climbed, not just looked at. What do I know, its amazing that I can even start a saw, not being an arborist.

Do it if you want, I am sure you could be doing better things in your limited spare time, like helping people out like you have done before.

You guys convicned me to go for it...I'm just worried about the Tree ID'ing and the biology part of the exam which I hear most have trouble with and the pictures for ID'ing the trees are crap in the exam...

To be honest, it seems like your limited experience is about what I see in a good week. By falsifying information and exaggerating your experience, you are gravely misrepresenting your level of skill and knowledge. This could lead you into tackling some situations that you are really not ready for. It also devalues the credentials of those who have earned them legitimately.

Latest posts

Back