Getting an Alaskan mill rails parallel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't harden and temper old files but I do harden and temper new tool steel which I buy in 18 or 36" long pieces from Enco in the USA.

The best quenching liquid is determined by the type of tool steel. Usually I buy O1 tool steel which is Oil (Canola) quenched. I also have some small pieces of W1 (Water quenched) which I have played around with.

Bob,

Thanks
jerry-

I had taken some pictures of my "problem" and could not find them yesterday--here they are:
the twisted rail--

attachment.php
Bill,

I got back to looking at my mill this weekend, and one of my rails was almost exactly like your picture shows. I started to straighten it as you described using a cresent wrench, but noticed the upper T portion was starting to pinch in rather then the rail straightening. I clamped some 1/4 inch thick bar stock to each side of the rail, and that solved that problem. Luckily I had a large enough box end wrench that fit over everything perfectly.

Once I got the rail as close as I thought I could get to straight, I put it all back together and proceeded to cut some boards. Both rails sit nice an flat now, and my boards are much flatter. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I owe both you and BobL a lot more then beer for the advice it helped a lot!

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back