Getting into a used 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeoTree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got the 046 bug and picked this one up, it finally came in the mail today.
The seller said it had low compression and was his reason for selling.
At first glance everything looks good, normal wear and tear, not a whole lot of paint loss or chain scars inside the clutch cover. The muffler looks pretty new, It must of been replaced I would have to guess, inside the muffler the p/c really look pretty nice actually. I may have REALLY lucked out here, but I'm gonna have to pull the jug before I really know. I think the comp release may have been leaking, it will be plugged anyway.
So far I'm happy, I kinda had a WTF moment when I bought it, but $220 isn't too awful bad I don't think.
Should I just port it now, or wait till I have it back together stock and running to really appreciate the difference?
Also, is this a large PNW clutch cover? and are these all Magnums? Sorry a couple noob questions:laugh:
I'm gonna need some parts, atleast the back air filter plastic. Already got a bead on a non-flippycap tank.
I'll post rebuild pics along the way if anyone cares to see my crappy work:cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That is the PNW cover. I wouldn't pull the jug unless you need to do so. Plugging the de-comp is the way to go. You got a great deal on that saw that for sure. If you have never used a wrap handle in the tree before I think you will be pleasantly suprised by the handiness of it. :givebeer: Looks like a fallers saw. Maybe had an incident and that why the tank switch?

thats what i was thinking new flippy cap on one side and a screw in on the other still its and 046 have fun!:cheers:

I have never ported a saw before so my opinion may not have any concern to you and your saw. But I think before any porting is done, the saw needs to be running right and to have a few tanks though it. Than you know the saw was running right before the port job. Any problems after the port job will be isolated to the port job.

Got yourself a good project there this time. Clean er up and find a couple of parts, then see if it is running correctly. When you reach that point its porting time and that saw will come alive, you will think you are running an 066 but with less weight. :cheers:

Pioneerguy600

A ported 046/460 is a good saw in the woods. Put a pop-up 064 piston in it and you'll really have a torque monster that can run a long bar.

That sounds pretty awesome, never heard of that one before!
Looks like it may need a piston anyway. I still really havn't got it apart, I do see a little bit of scoreing in the intake skirt. Pulling the tranny out of my 72 Pontiac tonight, I toasted it at the track :)
I may get to it after that.

allright jacob ,spill the beans about the 064 piston. this sounds like a big bore kit but how with the stock bore

ther eare a few mm difference in the height,maybe you can do a pop up without having to mill the cylinder.

you can pop up the piston and not change any timing by using the 064 piston from what i can figure. but i can get the same thing with the stock piston and cylinder by milling both and not have to buy a piston. thats just my take on it but someone may enlighten me.

Just checked the spec on baileys site, looks like a 1.5mm difference in compression height, that make for a .060" pop up, with out milling the jug.... Hummm been looking for an 044 to convert... Now looking even harder....

just a thought....... will a 066 piston work on a 046 bb cyl??:jawdrop:

:chainsaw: TORQ MONSTER!!!!! If it works

Last edited:
ok update time
I've been cleaning and taking peices off slowly. So far so good, everything looks good. I havn't pulled the flywheel or ignition yet, is there any trick to it or is it going to come off easy? I'm not looking forward to it really, but I'd like to see it clean.

Everythings coming out of the ultrasound pretty good though. Me and a good member swapped handles so no more flippy cap:)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The saw's looking great! Definately pull your cylinder. That way you can decarbon the piston crown, combustion chamber, and exhaust port. You don't know what you've got until you pull it. Four bolts and you're there.

id tear it down and atleast knock the carbon out of it then casting lines in the intake. then since i had dremeal and carbid burr in hand i myswell make the port wider then make the exhaust match heck then bump upper transfers to intake and blend the lowers to floors.

then heck shell pull a longer bar id say 32" with ease. it wouldnt need a pop up for that.. keep it easy and simple leave the popups to pros

just a thought....... will a 066 piston work on a 046 bb cyl??:jawdrop:

:chainsaw: TORQ MONSTER!!!!! If it works
Yes it will work. Cut a .030-.035 popup, widen wrist pin bosses, cut the bottom of the shirts, your good. You will need to space up the cylinder also because even with the popup, the piston is too tall.

Back