Getting some tree work done - a couple of questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrax

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been reading the site for about 2 weeks now after running across it looking for some information on a MS290 Farm Boss I had just purchased. Lots of great info to be found in all the forums that I have checked out.

I have a number of trees that I would like to take down on my 1/2 acre home lot. I was planning on having 4 trees (3 oak / 1 white pine) down in my back yard as they are a danger - 1 oak leaning over shed, 1 oak has lost some big limbs in ice storm last year and I think it has some rot, the last oak is leaning (not a huge tree), and the pine is a monster 90 - 100' and I worry about this one - if the other trees are gone, as the top would act like a sail, and if it fell it would cut the house in half if it fell.

My experience with chainsaws is limited. I have used them (old sears micro, HD homelite, ancient electric and some farm/HW dept work), but I do not think I have the skill or knowledge to take them down myself. With that in mind, I had asked a tree guy from the street over to give me a estimate - 7 weeks went by with no word on the estimate. In the meantime, a 75' spruce fell on the roof. I asked around for recommendations, and I got to deal with 2 very professional tree service companies (responsive, fast, and good to deal with). There were 2 companies, as the original guy I was referred to then referred me to the other company. A crane was needed, and the first guy does his work by climbing. Both guys were good guys to do business with and I want to use them again.

Now that I am looking around the yard - there are a number of other trees that could be taken down beside the original 4. I have spoken to the guy that climbs and he is willing to work with me to take down the trees and let me limb and buck them up. He will get rid of the smaller limbs in the chipper. I'll keep the hardwood for firewood and I guess the pine will be cut up. We had only discussed the 4 biggest problem trees and have not discussed the other additional trees - partially because I do not know if I can afford to take all of them down in one shot.

Here are my question:

Since I want to get the assistance of a professional to fell the trees, and to cut up and get rid of any of the limbs that are 2-3" or less - how much of difference in price should there be as compared to having them do the whole job. The guy that I had originally asked for a quote for the 4 trees, then went away for almost 2 months came by about 10 days ago and gave me an estimate of $1200 to take the 4 trees down and take them away. I asked him about just felling them and he seemed agreeable and would give me a price, but I have not heard back from him yet.

Is there such a thing as paying a daily rate for a tree company? Since I have more trees that I would like to have brought down - it would be better to get a crew here for the day, rather than just have them fell the 4 trees. I have a friend in town (2 miles away) that also needs 4 trees taken down and asked me to see if I could see if we could package up the two jobs to lessen the individual cost to either one of us.

What do you folks think? Am I out of line asking for a daily rate, or if we can bundle the jobs together, or is that a common thing?

Thanks for your input.

I have a number of trees that I would like to take down on my 1/2 acre home lot. I was planning on having 4 trees (3 oak / 1 white pine) down in my back yard as they are a danger - 1 oak leaning over shed, 1 oak has lost some big limbs in ice storm last year and I think it has some rot, the last oak is leaning (not a huge tree), and the pine is a monster 90 - 100' and I worry about this one - if the other trees are gone, as the top would act like a sail, and if it fell it would cut the house in half if it fell.

My experience with chainsaws is limited.
Now that I am looking around the yard - there are a number of other trees that could be taken down beside the original 4. We had only discussed the 4 biggest problem trees and have not discussed the other additional trees - partially because I do not know if I can afford to take all of them down in one shot.

What do you folks think?

I think you have arborphobia and chainsaw lust.

you admit you have "limited experience" yet you know these trees are a danger?:confused:
trees lean, pines grow big, that's their job.

and you have more that can come down? of course you do, you have a chainsaw.:dizzy:

STOP! have a real arborist explain to you which trees might actually need to come down, forget about playing with your new saw and think about the needs of the trees. you can't put them back up, and replanting little saplings ain't the same. you only have have a 1/2 acre, why clear it?

I hear this all the time, and hate to see smart people make dumb choices.
plenty of good guys on here near you, get several opinions and trust the arborist who acts the most professional about the trees, not the money.

good luck, and be safe if you do decide to play axemen.....:cheers:

I guess that I should provide pictures

Thank you for the comments. You are right, I am jonesing to use the chainsaw. I guess that I should explain that the 1/2 acre has 22 hardwood trees and one pine. I can't deny there is a big helping of the truth in what you are saying - but there are still going to be about 14 mature trees left on this modest size lot after removing what I think should go. Gotta admit that the tree coming down and landing on my roof did scare me a bit. If it hadn't been a spruce with the spread -out boughs to cushion the fall - it would have gone right through one of the kids rooms (they were home). So to me - the trees are a 'danger' to me, and affects my peace of mind.

Some more background:

The neighbor behind me removed all of his trees about 6 years ago, and that big pine sways a lot now with no other trees to act as a windbreak. During the icestorm we had last year - part of my deck was damaged when just one of the big branches of one of the oaks camed down. I was out starting the generator when it happened and it landed about 20' from me. That branch had some rot in it, and I know that tree has rot lower down as I removed another broken branch a few years before..

The tree leaning over the shed has a few branches that were also snapped off during the ice storm. It leans over the shed, and its proximity from the shed does not allow me to expand the shed - I am limited by zoning codes, so I can't go back or to the right if I was to enlarge the shed now. There are some big branches that are broken off and hanging up in the tree right now. I would also like to put an above ground pool that I have been offered in the area where all 4 of the trees are now, so that is another reason.

There are a couple of other trees that are in my side yard that I would like removed. One leans in at a pretty decent angle to my house and is in a awkward place in relation to the lawn. There are two beech trees that are also in the middle of what should be a lawn area. And finally there is a tree right next to my driveway that is overshadowed by a larger oak and it is over the cars in the winter. Some of the other trees are preventing grass from really growing well. I believe this has led to problems with soil erosion, as no grass can really take hold in part of the yard and the wind and the water end up eroding the top soil and exposing a lot of the roots.

I do intended to have two large oaks trimmed up as one has some large heavy branches directly over the driveway and the other has a large branch over part of my roof. With the roof supposedly being replaced - I do not want it damaged again by this branch falling on it. I am constantly picking up dead branches that fall out of the trees when it is windy. I can look up and see large branches that are dead in almost all of the trees

I appreciate your comments and do agree that there is some chainsaw lust here, and you are right on the mark with your recommendations to get some qualified people in - and that is my goal. The guy I am looking to hire is a full-time tree guy and is a longtime friend of two of my co-workers who have used them on their property as well. I am also interested in saving some money too. If I can do a lot of the work and save some money that is what I would like. I do my own home remodeling, painting, as much of the car repairs as I can, so this fits in with that.

I wanted to buy a decent model, so that I would not spend more time screwing with it rather than using it. I finally wisended up a few years ago and started buying decent new and used equipment for the house (Cub Cadet tractor, toro snowblower, rigid power tools, compressor, etc) - as the low end stuff did not hold up and needed to be replaced. I know this is not a professional saw, but after I am done I decide that I want to resell it - I would be better off than with a homelite or poulan saw from Home Depot or Lowes.

I will definitely ask them for their professional opinions on what should be done though and how they best think the trees could be trimmed up and which ones they believe have health issues.

Have a good day and thanks for the reply!

The first guy who went away for two months and then the 1200 bid but then went away again? DON'T TALK TO HIM ANY MORE! You talked about one tree guy two of your friends have used and recommended? Use him. He can cut the trees down, and cut em up just a bit to get them at an easy working height for you. Then he can go away. You can cut them all up in firewood lengths, drag all branches out by the road and place in a row with butt ends facing road (he can explain the best way to build that row) and when you have all cleaned up call him back to run the branches through chipper. THAT, is about the best way for the least amount.

About that friend with 4 more trees: If I can cut travel time, I will gladly pass those savings on to the customer. Sometimes trying to synchronize two jobs is not worth the effort.

For what it's worth: I Love Tree-work. Ultimate is working for customer who is in awe of what I do, and "Happy" to pay a fair price for quality work. When I run into someone who seems to be trying to get me to do more work than I would normally, for a lot less money than I would normally, I normally don't work for them.

If you already have a crew there doing other trees it will be considerably cheaper the at more trees with them then to have someone else come in. If they are small trees and easy drops were your keeping the wood and doing the bucking it may only cost you a couple hundred extra. Call the guy doing your other trees and tell him you want to add some smaller trees on I think youll be surprised at how little the increase will be. Of course thats considering these trees as small and easy drops if it includes climbing and rigging that may all change though it would still be cheaper then getting a second crew in there..

Thank you Randy

Randy,

Thank you for the input. I am not going to use the disappearing guy. I used to paint, and I would never have let an estimate go a week let alone almost 2 months. Then to get back in touch only to disappear again does not give me a lot of confidence in him or his organization. He may be a great arborist, but he is not doing his business any favors. By contrast - the other 2 guys came out the day they were contacted and both had a response to me later in the day - professionals. When they came in with the crane and the crew to remove the spruce tree - it certainly impressed my wife and my neighbors. I was disappointed that my wife did not video it, as I was at work. They came at 3:15 and were gone by 5:15.

I have the 4 tree removal estimate for $1200 as the only one right now. I don't have a problem with spending the money, but not having done this before - I have no idea what the going rate is. I am not made of money either, so I am hoping to offset the costs with my labor too. The roofing estimates are all over the board, as much as double from lowest to highest - so I'd like to get some more knowledge from the people of this site, so I can feel good about the decision. If it makes more sense to hire the tree service for the day, rather than a per-tree fee than that is what I would like to do - just don't know what the options are and am trying to learn.

Thank you for your time.

Pete

post some pics, would help tremendously. by tonight a lot of guys will chime in with pics to critique.

and I'm glad to hear your further reasoning, losing half the trees is acceptable, if you lose the right half.:)

Thanks for the additional input - some pics of spruce

Stihl-O-Matic,

The guy who took down the spruce tree was recomended by the tree guy that I am looking to have the work done. I would like to use that guy to do the work. He was recommended by my two co-workers, and funny thing - is that the both know him independently of the other. One coworker grew up with him and the other coworker is friends with him and met him as an adult. He recommended the tree service with the crane and they did a great job - having already removed that tree and gotten rid of it as part of the homeowner's insurance job. Thank you for the information and the advice.

Treeslayer,

I won't be home before dark tonight to take some pictures of the trees that I want down, but here are some pictures of the spruce on the roof (hopefully they attached to message)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Well here are two pictures

Hasn't been a good day. Layoff at work - still there, but others affected that I know, old friends sister passed away and my toddler is in the ER after choking on her dinner and turning blue. Fortunately - the emergency responders (police, fire and EMT's) arrived within minutes after wife called them after performing the baby heimleich (sp?). Anyway, I am in the ER right now - 2nd one after being moved to a larger facility and she is going to be in for observation to make sure she does not have any fluid in the lungs due to aspirating parts of her dinner.

Attached are some pictures from the ice storm from December 2008:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hopefully - you can see the lean in the tree, and its proximity to the shed. Tthat is the branch that came down when I was out with the generator. For some size perspective - that slide is about chin height on me - I'm 5' 11".

Why?

Thank you for the comments. You are right, I am jonesing to use the chainsaw. I guess that I should explain that the 1/2 acre has 22 hardwood trees and one pine. I can't deny there is a big helping of the truth in what you are saying - but there are still going to be about 14 mature trees left on this modest size lot after removing what I think should go. Gotta admit that the tree coming down and landing on my roof did scare me a bit. If it hadn't been a spruce with the spread -out boughs to cushion the fall - it would have gone right through one of the kids rooms (they were home). So to me - the trees are a 'danger' to me, and affects my peace of mind.

Some more background:

The neighbor behind me removed all of his trees about 6 years ago, and that big pine sways a lot now with no other trees to act as a windbreak. During the icestorm we had last year - part of my deck was damaged when just one of the big branches of one of the oaks camed down. I was out starting the generator when it happened and it landed about 20' from me. That branch had some rot in it, and I know that tree has rot lower down as I removed another broken branch a few years before..

The tree leaning over the shed has a few branches that were also snapped off during the ice storm. It leans over the shed, and its proximity from the shed does not allow me to expand the shed - I am limited by zoning codes, so I can't go back or to the right if I was to enlarge the shed now. There are some big branches that are broken off and hanging up in the tree right now. I would also like to put an above ground pool that I have been offered in the area where all 4 of the trees are now, so that is another reason.

There are a couple of other trees that are in my side yard that I would like removed. One leans in at a pretty decent angle to my house and is in a awkward place in relation to the lawn. There are two beech trees that are also in the middle of what should be a lawn area. And finally there is a tree right next to my driveway that is overshadowed by a larger oak and it is over the cars in the winter. Some of the other trees are preventing grass from really growing well. I believe this has led to problems with soil erosion, as no grass can really take hold in part of the yard and the wind and the water end up eroding the top soil and exposing a lot of the roots.

I do intended to have two large oaks trimmed up as one has some large heavy branches directly over the driveway and the other has a large branch over part of my roof. With the roof supposedly being replaced - I do not want it damaged again by this branch falling on it. I am constantly picking up dead branches that fall out of the trees when it is windy. I can look up and see large branches that are dead in almost all of the trees

I appreciate your comments and do agree that there is some chainsaw lust here, and you are right on the mark with your recommendations to get some qualified people in - and that is my goal. The guy I am looking to hire is a full-time tree guy and is a longtime friend of two of my co-workers who have used them on their property as well. I am also interested in saving some money too. If I can do a lot of the work and save some money that is what I would like. I do my own home remodeling, painting, as much of the car repairs as I can, so this fits in with that.

I wanted to buy a decent model, so that I would not spend more time screwing with it rather than using it. I finally wisended up a few years ago and started buying decent new and used equipment for the house (Cub Cadet tractor, toro snowblower, rigid power tools, compressor, etc) - as the low end stuff did not hold up and needed to be replaced. I know this is not a professional saw, but after I am done I decide that I want to resell it - I would be better off than with a homelite or poulan saw from Home Depot or Lowes.

I will definitely ask them for their professional opinions on what should be done though and how they best think the trees could be trimmed up and which ones they believe have health issues.

Have a good day and thanks for the reply!

How about sell your wooded 1/4 and move to the suburbs! Why buy wooded land just to clear cut it? How about sell the saw and house and buy a condo?

I do my own home remodeling, painting, as much of the car repairs as I can, so this fits in with that.

Really?

How many remodeling, painting, and auto repair forums have an injury and fatality section?

Why didn't you buy a bare lot, and landscape it the way you wanted? I'm guessing that your trees were a part of why you chose your property, and now a touch of arborphobia has gotten ahold of you. Your kneejerk reaction is to satisfy the chainsaw lust, when you should be seeking a quality arborist to help you learn to manage your assets.

Your plan of removing this one, leaving that one, and taking big limbs away from mature trees is going to create more problems for you than it solves.

How many remodeling, painting, and auto repair forums have an injury and fatality section?

That is why I am not looking to take down the trees myself.

Why didn't you buy a bare lot, and landscape it the way you wanted? I'm guessing that your trees were a part of why you chose your property, and now a touch of arborphobia has gotten ahold of you. Your kneejerk reaction is to satisfy the chainsaw lust, when you should be seeking a quality arborist to help you learn to manage your assets.

I didn't buy a bare lot, as I took what was available in my price range. In my section of Massachusetts there are not a whole lot of developments where the land is bare. I bought a house that we completely remodeled - again because it is what we could afford at the time we bought it.

I wouldn't say it was a kneejerk reaction by any stretch actually. I have wanted to take the 4 trees down in the back for a number of years. The one next to the driveway is another one that I have wanted down for years.

Your plan of removing this one, leaving that one, and taking big limbs away from mature trees is going to create more problems for you than it solves.

The two big limbs - one hangs over the roof and I want it gone before the new roof goes on. The other is directly over the cars when they are parked in the driveway.

Thanks for your comments

How about sell your wooded 1/4 and move to the suburbs! Why buy wooded land just to clear cut it? How about sell the saw and house and buy a condo?

Please read my posts above - I am not clear cutting it. I would like to remove select trees from the property.

If I cut 4 of 22 - that equals 18% of the trees

If I cut 8 of 22 - that equals 36% of the trees

I am in what I would consider the suburbs. I didn't buy wooded land just to clear it. Thanks for responding on topic and providing some useful input....

Day rates would only make sense if every company had the same men and the same equipment. truck/chipper and 2 guys can't and don't produce what a bucket, crane, chipper w/winch and 3 or 4 guys would. I personally don't like day rates. also have seen some company's that offer day rates stretch it out to 2 days. I'm sure you would ask them what they can do in a day, therefore making it a rate for the job, not the day. consult a arborist or 2 about your trees without letting them know which ones you are thinking of taking down. Let them know you are concerned of safety for your family and house. see if they pay special attention to what hangs over the childrens play area. never mind the people who condem you for trying to make your place safe regarding tree's. some of them would be the first to take your money on a removal contract. most often builders don't take down anymore trees then was nessassary to build the house and a lot of home owners neglect their trees, so you may have a lot of catching up on tree maintanance or removals to bring your property up to par. I hope your daughter is feeling better and you bring her home soon...

Thank you Highpointtree

Thank you Highpointtree for the comments and information. I am waiting on a quote right now - should get it in a few days.

The toddler came home and she was all set - no food in the lungs. We were back at the ER about 13 hours later though, as our older daughter was chasing after the dog and fell down a stair landing on her face. Huge lump on the head, scrape under the nose and dizziness. Fortunately - she is OK now too.

Have a good day.

Thank you Highpointtree for the comments and information. I am waiting on a quote right now - should get it in a few days.

The toddler came home and she was all set - no food in the lungs. We were back at the ER about 13 hours later though, as our older daughter was chasing after the dog and fell down a stair landing on her face. Huge lump on the head, scrape under the nose and dizziness. Fortunately - she is OK now too.

Have a good day.

If I was the one there quoting the job, you would have had a written estimate before I left and upon approval the insurance cert would be mailed, faxed or emailed to you immediately from the insurance agent.
I think the guy with the best rep and gives you his best price first is usually a good pick. some leave and call back a couple days later just to find out what the other co. bid, so they can underbid. good luck..

p.s. maybe it's time to get off the p.c. and keep an eye on the kids :)
glad they are doing better

I have an MS 290 also; nice saw if not overused, a "homeowner model" I have heard them called. But we don't all need to be Paul Bunyan, right?

...I was planning on having 4 trees (3 oak / 1 white pine) down in my back yard as they are a danger - 1 oak leaning over shed, 1 oak has lost some big limbs in ice storm last year and I think it has some rot, the last oak is leaning (not a huge tree), and the pine is a monster 90 - 100' and I worry about this one - if the other trees are gone, as the top would act like a sail, and if it fell it would cut the house in half if it fell.

My experience with chainsaws is limited.
And so is your experience with tree risk assessment, right? So hire someone who can help you with these decisions that will determine the ecological function and value of your land.

Many good arborists in MA. You can do a lot of the chainsaw work yourself, but please get some input on the permanent landscape decisions from someone with training and experience, objectivity and competence.

Last edited:
Some pics & update

Just wanted to provide an update. Received a quote from the reputable guy - it was double the estimate I received from the guy that has not come back. The quote was double what I received before.

Here are some more detailed pics:

DSC03198Small.jpg

DSC03204Small.jpg

Tree over the shed - couple of different shots to show lean, broken branches - and to see if anyone can confirm if there is rot where one of the limbs used to be:

DSC03202Small.jpg

DSC03201Small.jpg

DSC03200Small.jpg

Here is some shots of three of the four trees together:

DSC03199Small.jpg

Here is a picture of a tree that is over the roof - just want this large lower branch cut off - so that when the new roof goes on it is not over the new roof.

DSC03194Small.jpg

Remaining pictures - rest of post

Because of the limitations of posting only 10 hyperlinked images in a post - here is the remaining pictures.

Here is a couple of pictures - the first is for the trimming of some lower dead branches that are directly over a car. The other pics are of a tree that overhangs a area we use for a third car - when someone comes over. As it stands now - the lower branches do go over the cars parked in the paved part of the driveway:

DSC03195Small.jpg

DSC03196Small.jpg

This is a picture of a tree in the side yard - it leans towards the house, is right in the middle of what I would like to be lawn, but it is not a high-priority and is an optional tree as mentioned in my earlier posts:

DSC03197Small.jpg

Thanks for looking and thank you to the AS members that have responded with their comments and opinions on this thread.

Thanks to the info I have learned from this site - I was able to get the old Sears / Poulan 2000 working right again. I even tuned the carb after replacing the lines and cleaning up the saw (it was a mess).

If the guy wants to have HIS trees taken down what business is it of anyone here unless they are doing the work........we can't save every tree in the world.........

where is the crane needed, I think you've been played into believing that it "can't" be done without the crane, watch out for that line, you'll pay a lot more then if someone climbed them and I didn't see anything that couldn't be climber...

Last edited:
Back