Getting some tree work done - a couple of questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the guy wants to have HIS trees taken down what business is it of anyone here unless they are doing the work........we can't save every tree in the world.........

where is the crane needed, I think you've been played into believing that it "can't" be done without the crane, watch out for that line, you'll pay a lot more then if someone climbed them and I didn't see anything that couldn't be climber...

NOT NECCESSARILY. I own a crane and bucket. therefore I don't have to rent any equipment. I'm sure I could do the job in 1/3 to 1/2 the time as someone that had to rely strictly on climbing. and it would also make it safer. my numbers would be very competitive and I would be out of there (job done) in half the time. It would also provide a low or zero impact removal with much less ground/hardscape disturbance. in many instances I can easily beat someone's price that will rely on strictly climbing. Also the "EXTRA" limb often asked for is much easier with the equipment on the job.

RFtreeman and Highpointtree thank you for your comments. The spruce that fell in December was when I was told that it would be a job for a crane (pics in first page of this thread), so the guy that was a climber and was recommended - called in another tree company in an adjacent town from him to take it out with his crane and crew.

I was told that the 4 tree job, with the trees leaning the way they were would be a 2 day job for the climber and his ground guy, as everything would need to be lowered down and it would take time. That is why the price was much higher than the first estimate I received. With the two estimates being so different - I am going to get at least another estimate to see where it comes in.

NOT NECCESSARILY. I own a crane and bucket. therefore I don't have to rent any equipment. I'm sure I could do the job in 1/3 to 1/2 the time as someone that had to rely strictly on climbing. and it would also make it safer. my numbers would be very competitive and I would be out of there (job done) in half the time. It would also provide a low or zero impact removal with much less ground/hardscape disturbance. in many instances I can easily beat someone's price that will rely on strictly climbing. Also the "EXTRA" limb often asked for is much easier with the equipment on the job.
I'm sure you can, my point is that people use the crane line a lot to charge more money and tell the cust it CAN'T be done with out a crane which is total hog wash, yes it will be easier and faster, as for impact to the lawn, I'd rather fix a few divots then 50 feet of ruts from a crane or bucket, I'm not knocking them, I just think they are over used and make good climbers lazy, I've seen many people using cranes for stuff that really doesn't need a crane or a bucket...a bucket will make a climber lazy, damn sure made me lazy...lol

RFtreeman and Highpointtree thank you for your comments. The spruce that fell in December was when I was told that it would be a job for a crane (pics in first page of this thread), so the guy that was a climber and was recommended - called in another tree company in an adjacent town from him to take it out with his crane and crew.

I was told that the 4 tree job, with the trees leaning the way they were would be a 2 day job for the climber and his ground guy, as everything would need to be lowered down and it would take time. That is why the price was much higher than the first estimate I received. With the two estimates being so different - I am going to get at least another estimate to see where it comes in.
I think you said $1200 right, that's $300 a tree which isn't bad at all...

1200 thats rediculous , for two days of work , and theres a lot of material there , if thats the truth and the guy can prove some coverage well than by all means hire him before he goes under , and than get me his number so I can call him I have few trees that I would like to take down ..

I'm sure you can, my point is that people use the crane line a lot to charge more money and tell the cust it CAN'T be done with out a crane which is total hog wash, yes it will be easier and faster, as for impact to the lawn, I'd rather fix a few divots then 50 feet of ruts from a crane or bucket, I'm not knocking them, I just think they are over used and make good climbers lazy, I've seen many people using cranes for stuff that really doesn't need a crane or a bucket...a bucket will make a climber lazy, damn sure made me lazy...lol

I think you said $1200 right, that's $300 a tree which isn't bad at all...

NO OFFENSE, BUT YOUR SPECULATING WHAT SOMEONE MIGHT TELL THE CUSTOMER. like you just said 50 ft of ruts!! in fact I would put plywood down if there was any chance of that. so in this case it's opposite. you are the one trying to convince the HO that the equipment will do damage to the yard. and trying to project what the owner of the crane or bucket MIGHT say. I am in business to make money! and keep my customers and referrals. if equipment is a better solution, fine. and if climbing will provide a clean job at a reduced rate, then I would use that option. the point is, it's real nice to have and offer the options of a well equiped company. I know that in a real world I will be competing for this or any customers work. the bottom line is price and satisfaction above all expectations.

NO OFFENSE, BUT YOUR SPECULATING WHAT SOMEONE MIGHT TELL THE CUSTOMER. like you just said 50 ft of ruts!! in fact I would put plywood down if there was any chance of that. so in this case it's opposite. you are the one trying to convince the HO that the equipment will do damage to the yard. and trying to project what the owner of the crane or bucket MIGHT say. I am in business to make money! and keep my customers and referrals. if equipment is a better solution, fine. and if climbing will provide a clean job at a reduced rate, then I would use that option. the point is, it's real nice to have and offer the options of a well equiped company. I know that in a real world I will be competing for this or any customers work. the bottom line is price and satisfaction above all expectations.

Thats a good post and to the point ...

$1200 was the low estimate

$1200 was the low estimate from a guy that I do not know his reputation and seems flighty about follow-up and getting back to me - the other guy is double that, but he comes with recommendations.

I would like the trees on the ground and the brush chipped up and the trunks cut to 8-10' lengths and then I would like to cut them up and keep the hardwood - anything ~ 3" or over for firewood.

$1200 was the low estimate from a guy that I do not know his reputation and seems flighty about follow-up and getting back to me - the other guy is double that, but he comes with recommendations.

I would like the trees on the ground and the brush chipped up and the trunks cut to 8-10' lengths and then I would like to cut them up and keep the hardwood - anything ~ 3" or over for firewood.

2400 hundred for two full days is good aswell , if your gonna keep the wood thats nice ,so with that being said I think get your third est.and don't tell him what the other guy wants and see what he quotes ,its a customers market now and companies are growing increasingly hungry , but with that said the strong are surviving and producing great work with referrals of utmost importance often exceeding the homeowners expectations , good luck ..

not speculating anything, it comes from experience of hearing customers tell me so and so said it couldn't be done with out a crane or sometimes they say bucket then I show them it can be and for a good bit less money, I know a crane will make the job easier and faster and there have been times when I wished I had one but most jobs can be done without one (how did they do it before cranes) and still make money, referrals, provide satisfaction (which is my top priority 99.999999% of the time) and maintain a good customer base....

the spruce that hit the house I can see using a crane but for the others....no way and $2400 to get the four down and chip the brush is a bit high in my book but what do I know, I'm just a hack..............

not speculating anything, it comes from experience of hearing customers tell me so and so said it couldn't be done with out a crane or sometimes they say bucket then I show them it can be and for a good bit less money, I know a crane will make the job easier and faster and there have been times when I wished I had one but most jobs can be done without one (how did they do it before cranes) and still make money, referrals, provide satisfaction (which is my top priority 99.999999% of the time) and maintain a good customer base....

the spruce that hit the house I can see using a crane but for the others....no way and $2400 to get the four down and chip the brush is a bit high in my book but what do I know, I'm just a hack..............

well if you don't charge enough then your never gonna be able to afford a crane or bucket truck!! I wouldn't make that judgement call seeing pic's over the net. I would have to see the tree's in person. but I would bet it would be an early day and around $2,000-$2,200.00. if I put you on my jobs without a bucket or crane, by the 3rd or 4th day you would be complaining how your burnt out and need a break. seen it a hundred times. I say this from experience. if you have good men you have to take care of them. and that includes getting them the proper equipment. so they can work like a human beings. I never worry about them getting lazy. I mix climbing work and equipment grade work into the week as I see fit. So I don't burn out the crew. it's called a balance and it is learned over time. lots of time.

[/B]

well if you don't charge enough then your never gonna be able to afford a crane or bucket truck!! I wouldn't make that judgement call seeing pic's over the net. I would have to see the tree's in person. but I would bet it would be an early day and around $2,000-$2,200.00. if I put you on my jobs without a bucket or crane, by the 3rd or 4th day you would be complaining how your burnt out and need a break. seen it a hundred times. I say this from experience. if you have good men you have to take care of them. and that includes getting them the proper equipment. so they can work like a human beings. I never worry about them getting lazy. I mix climbing work and equipment grade work into the week as I see fit. So I don't burn out the crew. it's called a balance and it is learned over time. lots of time.
you know what, I had this long reply typed and even but why bother.........22 years and counting...there's those of us that do it the old way and some that don't....

Last edited:
Why only one more estimate? Everything MUST be lowered? I've been in these bidding situations before. Skid the shed out of the way and chunk er down. Ground is frozen right now yes? Git on it though, before mud season hits.

HURRY

Update to thread

Good evening everyone,

Here is an update. I did get another estimate - a day rate for 2 guys for $2600 - they would take down the 4 trees in question - plus two others and some trimming. I waited a bit to get the tax money back but then was thinking about waiting until next winter to get a better price - as the last company that gave the estimate told me I missed a significant discount as spring was here and their business had started to pick up.

Anyway, I did what a number of people would consider stupid and borrowed a bigger ladder and did some trimming of an oak, a maple and a couple of beech trees. Used the little Craftsman (Poulan 2000) that I took the baffle out of the muffler, replaced the fuel lines and fuel pick up assembly and adjusted the carb (thanks to this site).

While I was gathering up the brush from cleaning up some of the low-hanging limbs - the original guy that gave me the first estimate and then I didn't hear back for a while stopped by. He offered to throw the brush through his chipper and asked if I wanted to still cut down the trees. I told him that we would have to talk about it, and continued cutting the brush up and putting it on a burn pile.

This guy did stop by later. He was finishing another job and had a bucket truck with him. He watched me cut down another limb off of the ladder. We discussed the job - that I wanted the 4 trees down in the back yard. He called his partner down, who is the climber and they agreed to do the 4 trees for $1000. They will take down the trees - chip up the brush and leave me to cut up the larger limbs and trunk. I also asked for their recommendation on the other trees - and they were pretty conservative in what they recommended as far as trimming limbs from the other trees. If all goes well with this - then I will talk to them next fall about doing some selective trimming.

They took down the first tree this afternoon and took the brush. They did a lot more cutting up of the trunk than I expected, which was nice of them and unexpected. I went out there and cut the rest of the tree and started hauling it to the woodpile. Looking forward to the 3 other trees going down.

It was nice to get a chance to use the new chainsaw. I have put about 5 tanks of gas through it so far, and although the MS290 has its detractors, it seems plenty powerful enough for me - seems to run a little better too the more I have been using it. Looking to get a couple of replacement chains from one of the sponsors. I only have one for each saw, and I did dull the MS290's chain pretty good cutting a stump flush (cut down a friend's tree), but got it back with the file so that it is throwing chips again.

I know you expected to hear this but.....

Stay off the ladder with a chainsaw. The fact that you survived a few times is no guarantee of future results. There are SO many things that can go wrong when you mix ladders and chainsaws. I have a neighbor who died a few years ago when he slipped and the saw hit him in the face. My Dad fell of the ladder and LANDED on the saw (he is athletic and in great shape) - earned him some nasty bruises, still not sure how he missed the chain.

If you really need to cut out of reach, spend the money for a pole saw or pay a climber or bucket truck to do it. Those limbs are just not worth it.

attachment.php

Here is the cut up maple - the trunk and major limbs that I have yet to move over to the woodpile - the rest went in the chipper.

Last edited:
I know you expected to hear this but.....

Stay off the ladder with a chainsaw. The fact that you survived a few times is no guarantee of future results. There are SO many things that can go wrong when you mix ladders and chainsaws. I have a neighbor who died a few years ago when he slipped and the saw hit him in the face. My Dad fell of the ladder and LANDED on the saw (he is athletic and in great shape) - earned him some nasty bruises, still not sure how he missed the chain.

If you really need to cut out of reach, spend the money for a pole saw or pay a climber or bucket truck to do it. Those limbs are just not worth it.

Cannot argue with anything that you said - you are right on the money.

Trees are down - crew done

UPDATE: The 4 trees are down - the last of the pine was taken down today. The climber went up and took down some of the trunk while climbing and then when it was getting pretty large in diameter - a rope was used to provide some tension on the trunk - then it was notched and cut. Once down a Husky 575 w/24" bar and a Stihl 044 with a 28" bar were used to buck it up. I got a chance to use the 044 - it was pretty sweet and literally went through the pine like a hot knife through butter. A Stihl 036 was used to cut the rest of the maple tree up. I broke out the MS 290 to also cut the maples up and cut up some of the smaller sections of pine. I was thankful that they let me borrow a peavy to roll the logs around a bit.

Found a taker for the pine. One of the guys I have met uses the pine for his sugar house - so we cut the pine up to 36" lengths and he came over to split them up into 4 to 5 pieces each and to take them home. He split up 1.5 loads and took the first batch home this afternoon. I think that I am going to borrow or rent a splitter for the maple (rock maple) - tried to split a piece with a maul and sledge - after about 8 strokes and less than a 1/2" in the wet piece - I had a change of heart about hand splitting the rounds.

Back