glens.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 02:01:37 -0400
From: woodturner <&middot;&middot;&middot;&middot;&middot;&middot;&middot;&middot;@&middot;&middot;&middot;&middot;&middot;&middot;&middot;.&middot;&middot;&middot;>
To: glen@&middot;&middot;&middot;&middot;&middot;.&middot;&middot;&middot;
Subject: Chain

---------

I'm sorry, I guess I thought it was more of an informative message about what you'd done/investigated and didn't see the question in it until just now:<blockquote>I've heard that Baileys WoodsmanPRO chain is really Carlton. &nbsp; So, I think I'll try some of that.&nbsp; The 20NK will work on the bar that came on my saw won't it?</blockquote>I can't answer that off the top of my head.&nbsp; I'll look it up in a few minutes.&nbsp; In the meanwhile, maybe some kind soul who <i>does</i> know will jump in here.

Glen

Re: Carlton Chain

Originally posted by jsikkema1
Yes Baileys woodsman pro chain is Carlton... see http://www.sawchain.com/k_series.htm whch is the .325 chain series- K1C is .325 .050 semi chisel chain

It is available here locally...

Would you happen to know if it takes a 3/16" round file to sharpen, & would you know the sharpening required for this chain? Or, if you don't know, do you know how I could find out?

What I'm trying to do is get 2 or 3 chains that are the same, so I don't have to buy a lot of different file, filing guides & all. Trying to keep it simple.

Thanks,

CORRECTION

Originally posted by woodturner
Would you happen to know if it takes a 3/16" round file to sharpen, & would you know the sharpening required for this chain? Or, if you don't know, do you know how I could find out?

What I'm trying to do is get 2 or 3 chains that are the same, so I don't have to buy a lot of different file, filing guides & all. Trying to keep it simple.

Thanks,

I thought I read that before I posted, AAARRRRH!

That should read, "& would you know the sharpening angles required for this chain"?

Jeff sent me a couple looks of the NK quite awhile ago and it seems like a very good chain.

Rarely are the filing angles and file sizes cast in stone. A person can use whatever angles and files they want to get the sharpening results that they like. The rule of thumb for .325 chain is to use a 3/16 file until the tooth is around half gone then drop down to a smaller file. I realize that not all .325 chain specs a 3/16, but with all but the lowest profile chain you`ll be fine using a 3/16.

Topplate angles are usually 30° with a 10° downangle and sideplates are 60° for chisel chain, but you can alter these to suit your specific conditions.

Remember that to determine chain compatability with your cutting attachments you must have the right pitch, gauge, and number of drive links. If you`ve satisfied those three requirements you will find almost universal compatability. The most likely exception would be using a well worn narrow kerf chain on a standard thickness bar because the kerf becomes narrower as the tooth becomes shorter. I don`t however recall any problems with the NK on a standard bar as this chain was used up.

Russ

Back